Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Layla Littlenymph is offline Master Gamer

Icon9 TCG Starter Deck Tournament

I would like to see a TCG tournament limited to starter decks, and would like your opinions on the issue.

It is not necessary to read the remainder of this post in order to respond to the above suggestion. All text beyond this line is purely my opinion.

In the short time I have been playing the TCG, I have run across many players that exceeded their decks abilities. I have also run across a few decks that exceeded their players abilities. I understand that part of the fun in TCG play is the collection and structuring of a nice deck but... Wouldn't it be nice to compete with top ranked players on an equal footing? A tournament limited to starter decks would give seasoned players a chance to see how they really measure up with their peers and; It would provide new and non-member players a chance to engage in tournament play without being blown out by "unbeatable" decks. I understand some top players might hesitate to engage in such a tournament for fear it may damage their standing. Perhaps a third category could be added to the player stats or; Perhaps we could not record stats for tie break and regard it as purely recreational. Offering U,R and E series cards as top prizes would encourage top players participation. Please do not take this post as a complaint. It is a suggestion. I do not begrudge collecters their awesome decks. I look forward to haveing one of my own some day. Untill then...I'd like the chance to see if I'm better than my deck is. At one time or another, I've beaten most of the top ten players at least once with my weak little Nature deck. Was it me or, was it luck? Let's find out. Are you game enough?

Looking forward to your input:
    Layla Littlenymph
    Queen of Nymphs of Mania

Undead Father is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: TCG Starter Deck Tournament

oh you mean an actual tournament. Not going to happen, good idea, but then why buy all those fancy cards if I can't use them. I'll play you with my starter deck any day.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Holton is offline Pro Gamer

I wouldn't mind playing with just starter decks once in a while.

I used to use my machine starter at the beginning (it's actually quite a strong deck) and I understand what you mean. Although I now have some good cards, it can still be frustrating coming up against Extend Claws or other exclusives that I can't get a hold of here.

That said, playing with starter decks can get boring quite quickly. Half the fun is trying to build interesting decks and the watch as the pieces of your strategy fall into place.

But I second Undead, and would be happy to play you with just my starter in casual play sometime.

I get your point guys.

My point however, is that new players get frustrated and drop out of the site altogether. This isn't good for FR which in the end, isn't good for us. FR is growing at the moment. I would like to see that trend continue. To be honest; The TCG is the primary reason I'm still here.

Would you consider League play?
    Players would start in a novice league, playing against other novice players.
    After 50 wins they would get bumped to amateur. 100 wins plays advanced. 200 wins plays pro. Work the numbers any way you see fit. I think you get the idea.

Would you not like to play at your true level?
    Does this merit a new thread or; Am I still off the mark? Based on the response rate so far; I never found the mark to begin with...sigh.

Archer is offline Amateur Gamer

You would have to better define what you mean by a starter deck. There are six starter decks in the game currently, plus a variety of promotional cards that can be received through quests (two free, one requiring station cash), and tournaments. And what about common cards? Many players using versions of starter decks have at least a couple of common cards in their deck that they have gotten from spinning the wheel or perhaps buying a small number of booster packs. Would they be disqualified from such a tournament? If so that might even be more frustrating to your target audience than the status quo.

Now if Free Realms Insider wanted to sponsor a tournament one month that had special rules, I would certainly be up for the challenge. However, I would expect that such a challenge would have more simply defined rules such as - no rares, no exclusives, but anything else goes (uncommons, commons, starters, promotionals). I would predict you would see some quite interesting decks with those limitations that would still kick into submission your typical starter deck.

Also, for my part, I would say I have created two decks based on starter decks (including shattered past) plus quest cards that would do quite well in such a tournament.

Now as far as a tournament involving only the two Series 1 decks (machine and nature) with no allowance of Shattered Past starters or quest cards, I would say playing a tournament with only three possible deck matchups would get quickly boring indeed. (Those being nature starter vs. nature starter, machine starter vs. machine starter, and nature starter vs. machine starter).

[QUOTE=Archer;323167]You would have to better define what you mean by a starter deck.
    Now if Free Realms Insider wanted to sponsor a tournament one month that had special rules, I would certainly be up for the challenge. However, I would expect that such a challenge would have more simply defined rules such as - no rares, no exclusives, but anything else goes (uncommons, commons, starters, promotionals). I would predict you would see some quite interesting decks with those limitations that would still kick into submission your typical starter deck.QUOTE]

No need for me to define. You just did a pretty good job of it yourself.
    As far as I know; there are six starter decks in all. That is what I was talking about, but; I think I like your vision of a "limited" tournament better.

What about the leagues idea in the post just above yours? Does it hold water?
    Last edited by Layla Littlenymph; 05-17-2010 at 01:34 AM.

Archer is offline Amateur Gamer

I don't see leagues working that well because you would limit when players could play, and there is already a fairly low level of participation, especially outside of the weekends.

I wouldn't object to some updates to the matching system to try to match players with similar value decks more often, but I doubt the development team would do anything with that sort of suggestion, since they have their hands too full apparently to get around to fixing known TCG bugs and crashes.

It's also been a while since they have done anything other than a Winner's tournament (as opposed to a sphere tournament or a streak tournament).

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    I don't see leagues working that well because you would limit when players could play
    We can't play seperate leagues on seperate servers at the same time?
    I do agree with your comment about player participation, but this is a growing community. I'm sure that will not always be the case. Besides; I was not talking about doing it for every tourney. Perhaps lower leagues could be limited to weekend play untill participation picked up.

I truely worry about some of the newer players dropping out before they give themselves a chance to grow into the game. I would like to see this community grow as much as possible.

If you would like to see an example of the frustration factor many newer players are dealing with; Do me a favor and go check out a thread titled "Arghhhhhhhhhh" in the General Discussion section of the forum.

10Fingerz is offline Master Gamer

I really dont like this idea, I would rather win via skill than luck, and thats exactly what playing with the same deck is.

All this would prove is which starter is best.

Now, what SOE could do is host a tourney to encourage beginners by creating a type of "Sphere" Tourneys, but instead of getting 3 points per win if half your cards are a particular sphere you make it 3 points per win for decks that contain no Rare or Extremely Rare cards....

That way those that paid all that money for Rs & Es can still get there coins with four wins, but to take the tourney you have to use only C, U, S, & P cards...

What do ya think?
    Last edited by 10Fingerz; 05-20-2010 at 12:52 PM.

Dorian Silvervale & Baron Von Boomer

Her Majesty's Secret Service

Quote Originally Posted by 10Fingerz View Post
    That way those that paid all that money for Rs & Es can still get there coins with four wins, but to take the tourney you have to use only C, U, S, & P cards...
    What do ya think?
    I think I could live with that.
    Hindsight tells me that I started this thread off...poorly. It was never my intent to push my ideas off on others. My main point, which I have not expressed well, is that growing discontent among newer and lesser players does not help this community grow. The more players we can entice into this game, the better, for us and SOE alike. I'm more interested in what your ideas and suggestions are,than haveing you adopt mine.

This is my first exposure to TCG type games.
    How have other on-line TCG type games dealt with this?...Or have they?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast