• 1 Post By Brett Firemumbles
  • 1 Post By cathearder
  • 1 Post By Brett Firemumbles
  • 2 Post By Layla Littlenymph

Title: * TCG Stallers in Cahoots *

Brett Firemumbles is offline Master Gamer

Default * TCG Stallers in Cahoots *

Urban legend or not?

One night, I was playing on my Alt. While waiting for an opponent, I usually alternate looking at the "Leaderboards" tab and "Players" tab, occasionally looking at the players' stats with the "green" check mark, wondering who might be my potential opponent. I got matched with this player, but man, he was playing really sloooooooow throughout the game. It is OK if he was a newb, but I have seen his name frequently in the top 10 in the tournament leaderboards. It took too much time for him to place a card from his inventory each time; one time, there was a message on the left lower corner, that he hasn't taken a move for more than a minute. I didn't forfeit, because I would like to learn some strategies from this "seasoned" player; in addition, I was not after the badge in that particular tournament, not to mention, after playing 1 hour late with a 'lousy' deck, lol. Anyhow, I won the game (not the tournament, lol). It was unusual for him to play like this. His stats showed 24 badges.

I had a feeling that this guy was stalling the game to let his buddies (friends, guild members, or relatives) to win. I might be wrong. Has anybody experienced this?

Anyway, I will continue to monitor these Three (or more ?) Stooges as part of my TCG citizen watch, and prove that my hunch is right, lol.
    cheetaramon likes this.
    IGN: Brett Firemumbles - Any server will do... Just port!
    Follow your folly. Mine is playing "Free
    Pay Realms." - Anonymous (:

lev42 is offline Amateur Gamer

Default Re: * TCG Stallers in Cahoots *

Some who play tcg tournaments most likely do do this on purpose, to help other friends get rewards. I get the consideration and all, but thats pretty cheap and annoying. Your friends have to win the games to win the tournaments just like everybody else.
    Thanks to the people who made my 4 years on Free Realms special. Hope yall are doin good. See yall down the road.

I guess "desperate times call for desperate measures," lol.

cathearder is offline Pro Gamer

Yep, I feel the same at times. Also, there is a strategy using free games to up the game count as well.
    There is a person with many names who will use this strategy, there were 72 losses (yes 72) one night to win over some others who also needed a badge.
    cheetaramon likes this.
    IGN: Cathearder Phil Lightguide -Mystic Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by cathearder View Post
    Yep, I feel the same at times. Also, there is a strategy using free games to up the game count as well...

When you mentioned "using free games to up the game count," does that player cherry-pick his games by forfeiting games when matched with seasoned players, and he usually play newbs for very likely wins (unless the newbs stall the game, lol)?

For instance:

Position......Score.......Wins......Games.......Character
    ...1.............15...........15..........72..........BadToTheBon e
    ...2.............15...........15..........24..........NoBadgeYet

Off-topic, has anybody noticed that the "Score" and "Wins" always have the same number? Why not get rid of one of them, lol?
    cheetaramon likes this.

Layla Littlenymph is offline Master Gamer

You nailed it Brett. They will not waste time on a seasoned player because even if they do manage to beat them, it takes time to do so. Better (in their opinion) to take the quick loss and move on to easier prey. Free games (as Cat points out) are also a ptoblem. I often get a player that will beg a free game from me and then forfiet if I do not agree.
    There are some veteran players out there that like to give free games, and I wish they would tone it down. I understand that they think they are doing a good thing but, how is it "good" to boost a player into prize territory if by doing so you knock another player that has earned it, out of it? I am not saying that you should NEVER give a free game, but it should be done rarely, and with good cause. I gave a free game in the closing moments of a tourney to a player last week to help get her into prize territory, but did so with the knowledge that the players I was helping her past had not only left the tournament but, already had that prize in hand from a previous tournament.

Sometimes people stall in the hope that you will forfiet, and sometimes players will actually work together to slow the better players down in order to give a friend a better chance at winning. These guys take a lot of the fun out of the TCG for those of us that enjoy it but, what is to be done? I have suggested to the developers that a new scoring model which did not award tie breaks based on lost games be put into place because I feel it would cut down on the practice. Perhaps I should lobby for that again now that there seems to be a growing interest in (and abuse of) the game..
    Layla Littlenymph <Mystic Mayhem>, Lolita Litlenymph <Nymphs of Mania>, Wednesday Addamsfamily <Insiders>

cheetaramon is offline Amateur Gamer

That happened to me last saturday I have a badge but am still a relatively new player I do not forfit games (for the most part) until I know I can not win I was tied for first place I was tied for first place at one point and I had several people (and I checked the stats afterwards and they had several badges) one of them eventually went on to win the tournament. I lost to him early on and I forfited because I knew there was no way I could win him. the next time I played him in the game he was way way up in his stats (almost uncatchably in first place) and every move he made he took the full time and even when I had a clear victory (3 to my 10) he took close to the full time costing me possibly ataining a higher position than 8th place
    IG: Kaya Kittyfeathers, Selina Starkat (FR); Solara Starfeline (CWA)
    Forums: Panthera (FR);

@Layla: Playing with the seasoned players is an opportunity to learn about their cards and the cards' combo actions. Most of the time, I peek at my opponents' discard pile, and find out what other cards they have, in addition to the cards in play and/or flipped. Though they pwned me in several games, I am learning from them, including card playing strategies, lol.

I occasionally give a free game near the end of the tourney when I am not really vying for a badge, particularly playing with a player (badged or badgeless) who is in the top 5 in the leaderboard, after playing almost throughout the game (whether I win or lose). I don't usually give a free game at the start of the game, for the sake of letting them win quickly, lol.

When people stall, I just wait patiently and do something, like watching TV, lol. I agree that a new scoring model is in order.

@Kaya: Welcome to the club! Lol. Your situation happened to me many times, losing to some "greedy" seasoned players with at least 20 badges in their belts. Anyway, there was this player who cost me a badge 2-3 times in the past. I hopped into the closing end of the tournament, and I saw him in first place, tied with another player who was badgeless. I played with the #1 badgeless player; I gave him a free game, and he got his 1st badge. I don't feel remorse for what I did to the "greedy" guy. I would say my action was immature, but priceless. I don't forget; 'cause I know revenge is sweet, so sweet... Bwahahaha <evil laugh> ROFL.

Ribkah is offline Master Gamer

Awwwh let's not assume too quickly guys, he might have been having some pretty bad lag.

IGN: Ribkah