Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

hhhenry is offline Master Gamer

Default Newby Quest: I don't quite understand how gems work

In the show down, sometimes I get +2, some times +3 +2 sometimes (I think) +2 +3 +4
    and I don't necessarily know how I got there.
    I know that if the card text says green green +3 attack, that's where that came from.
    Also, how does flip two cards (for the show down) work?

Archer is offline Amateur Gamer

Default Re: Newby Quest: I don't quite understand how gems work

In combat, you always get the number of gems added to your starting attack or defense value. The number of gems in a flip can be anything from zero to four gems per card flipped (generally one to four gems per card flipped).

Additionally, what is called a powerup can affect the flip, which, depending on the creature, requires either one or two of particular gem (red, yellow, green, blue). The powerups that affect attack and defense value fall into one of the following categories: one gem for +3 defense (present in order, nature, machine), one gem for +3 attack (present in chaos, order, nature), two gems for +3 defense (present in order, nature, machine), two gems for +3 attack (present in chaos only), one gem for +1 attack and +1 defense (present in nature and machine), one gem for +2 attack and +2 defense (present in nature and machine), or lastly, one gem for attack bonus equal to 2x number of your foe's scored cards in the battling column (machine only).

The powerup gem usually most useful especially in doubles for a sphere is what I call a major gem and is generally of the opposing color, which is to say for chaos, blue gems, for order, red gems, for machine, green gems, and as an exception to the rule for nature, blue gems. The other gem, what I call the minor gem, is generally only needed in singles, with a couple of minor exceptions (most notably in order with certain cost 4 creatures and in nature with Bear Companion) -- for chaos, green gems, for order, yellow gems, for machine, red gems, and for nature, yellow gems.

To flip two or more cards requires either a hero, a trick, or Artifact Detector (machine creature with five cards collected). The heroes include Ernie for nature, Jamie for order, HIldegarde (the goblin hero) for chaos, or Esther the Brains for machine. Tricks include Rain of Arrows for order, Turbo Charged for machine, Berserker Shout for chaos. Additionally there are certain tricks that make both you and your opponent flip an extra card, including Screw Loose for machine, and Storm of Hail for nature.

It is possible for instance to have Esther the Brains, Artifact Detector (with five cards collected), and then play Turbo Charged and Screw Loose, which would cause your battling machine creature to flip five cards instead of one. And if your creature happens to be say Demo Demon, then that's going to be game over for your opponent.
    Last edited by Archer; 09-29-2010 at 10:44 AM.

Great! That's some analysis!
    If I need one gem for +3 attack and I get two, is that +6 ?
    And how do extra flips work in all this (I have the Berserker Shout cards)? i.e. how do the gems on the two cards flipped affect battle?

Archer is offline Amateur Gamer

As far as the powerup, you can only get it once, whether you have a single or double flip.

The extra flips give you more chance at your powerup. Maybe you will flip one card with one gem of every color (say from a hero), and another card with a single blue gem, then you could get a powerup for a double blue gem for say Ambrose Worcester.

Also, the extra flips give you a chance at getting more than 4 added to your combat result (up to 8 if you flip two 4-gem cards).

Got it! Thanks!