Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Layla Littlenymph is offline Master Gamer

Default New trend in TCG player conduct?

If you have read my earlier threads in the TCG sections of this site, you know that I have always tried to stand up for the underdog. Sometimes I will drop out of a tournament so new players have a shot at the top slots. I want to see new players get that first tournament win and build upon their card and prize collections. I've even gone so far as to chide some of you veteran players for hogging the tournament wins when you are not eligable for the prizes. I have always felt that if new players get a taste of early success they would be more likely to stick with the game and enrich the overall community. I'm beginning to have a change of heart.

Yesterday I had a player beg me for a win so he could get that first badge. I told him that I would consider it if he would play the match out for a while and show me what he had. Halfway through our match he told me I was takeing to long to lose and conceded the match to me. Later during that tournament he had some rude comments in chat for me and some other players as well. The last thing he said between the ###s' was that he would never play this game again. I hope that turns out to be the case. For once the Filter Fairy did a good job.

This is the third tournament in a row that someone has begged me all the way through a match for a free win. I know it's hard for you new players to build up a winning record. Believe me; It was not that long ago that I was in the same spot. When you badger other players for free wins you are showing no better sportsmanship than those veteran players who care about nothing but winning new badges. You will never become a good player by getting free wins. If you want to improve your game or your deck; Do so by coming here or the Jobs section and asking questions. Most TCG players are great people and will go out of their way to share their insights. The TCG is my favorite part of FR. I'm trying to make it a great place for you. Please don't ruin it for me.

I want the TCG to be a fun place for everyone. At the risk of sounding harsh, let me say this. The next time I am treated rudely in the TCG as in the above example, I will not hesitate to report you.

Thank you for the time and space to rant, and don't forget the golden rule...
    Do unto Layla as you would have Layla do unto you.
    Layla Littlenymph <Mystic Mayhem>, Lolita Litlenymph <Nymphs of Mania>, Wednesday Addamsfamily <Insiders>

TheFlyingTurtle is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: New trend in TCG player conduct?

I really have no Idea what you are talking about. I don't understand the "TCG" or Trading Card Game that everyone is obsessed with. No one ever bothers to teach me! X |

I would like to learn someday though.
    IGN: James Bigpeach

wow, ppl can be so mean. you should have report him right there, ppl shouldnt be able to get away witht that. i dont let ppl get by with that, and i dont want ppl to let me get by with that. so, if you still have the players name, report him
    I quit...

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingTurtle View Post
    I really have no Idea what you are talking about. I don't understand the "TCG" or Trading Card Game that everyone is obsessed with. No one ever bothers to teach me! X |
    I would like to learn someday though.
    Four things you may already know.
    1. There is a great tutorial in the FR TCG section that explains game play as well as a computer generated player for you to practice with.
    2. The TCG questline in FR gives you a free Starter deck and you can earn more cards as you play through it (as well as a lot of nice clothes). Card duelist is the quickest and easiest job to level up.
    3. There is an in game code in the Codes section of this site that gives you a free booster pack. If you are a member; You get a free booster pack each month as part of your membership package.
    4. Anything else you wish to know just ask it here or in the Jobs section of the forum. You can also feel free to message me anytime. Always glad to help a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse oakenheart View Post
    wow, ppl can be so mean. you should have report him right there, ppl shouldnt be able to get away witht that. i dont let ppl get by with that, and i dont want ppl to let me get by with that. so, if you still have the players name, report him
    You are correct Jesse. It was unfair to other players for me not to have done so. I don't remember the players last name but am sure I would know it if I saw it again. I promise the next time something like that happens I will not hesitate to do so. I enjoy the TCG to much to allow a few whiners to spoil it for everyone else.
    Layla Littlenymph <Mystic Mayhem>, Lolita Litlenymph <Nymphs of Mania>, Wednesday Addamsfamily <Insiders>

Zadira Kindleriver is offline Master Gamer

Hi Layla,

I am beginning to think that it is just the sign of the times or maybe kids have always been this way. I wonder how many times I have started playing and someone will just beg and beg for me to let them win. What is really sad about the whole thing is that they would probably win if they would just try!

For some reason there is an awful lot of kids out there who don't know how to have a good time and actually play the game called Free Realms. They spend a whole lot of time and energy begging for free things and wanting everything just handed to them without even once thinking about how to actually go out there and find or earn it. It is so easy to earn coins now but kids seem to think it is okay to just stand around, do nothing and let someone else do all the work for them. I am just glad that I am not an employer out there trying to hire these guys to work for me!

Hmm... sorry... I think I am just in a bad mood tonight!

For myself... thank you for helping others with the game. I hope to win that case some day so I appreciate people like you not hogging it all the time!

Archer is offline Amateur Gamer

There have been occasional times when I, even as a veteran player, am a little behind the goal I am aiming for and may ask for a quick win, especially toward the end of a tournament, so that I will have time for another match. That's not even to say that I am necessarily losing a particular match, just that time is running low. The few times I have asked, I would estimate 2 out of 3 people are ok with it. However, I'm sure the number would go down dramatically, if like some players, I tried to ask every opponent to forfeit, or begged annoyingly in the tournament lobby to people who mostly aren't about to be up against me in a match.

Personally , I am unlikely to forfeit to somebody I am not familiar with. I also play enough to be able to recognize and remember playing against most of the regular players. If I do forfeit against somebody, they should at least have a half decent deck built and be able to generate some degree of wins on their own. In a case where they aren't generating many wins on their own, the conversation might go something like the following: Them "Please please let me have a win." Me "The speed you're playing, you're not going to make the top ate anyhow."

And in some cases, whether I might be the requestor or the requestee, it can be fun to play the game out anyway, even if somebody has agreed to forfeit.
    Last edited by Archer; 06-16-2010 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadira Kindleriver View Post
    For some reason there is an awful lot of kids out there who don't know how to have a good time and actually play the game called Free Realms. They spend a whole lot of time and energy begging for free things and wanting everything just handed to them without even once thinking about how to actually go out there and find or earn it. It is so easy to earn coins now but kids seem to think it is okay to just stand around, do nothing and let someone else do all the work for them. I am just glad that I am not an employer out there trying to hire these guys to work for me!
    Hmm... sorry...I think I am just in a bad mood tonight.
    Bad mood or not Zadira; That was well said.
    You made the point better than I did.

Thanks.
    Layla

Undead Father is offline Master Gamer

I think it goes back to the Parents of these children. Do the Parents give the children everything they ask for? If so, they will develop the understanding that begging gets you things, and a tantrum gets you more. My children know, even the 1 1/2 year old, that tantrums get you nothing other than a swat on the bottom and a time out.

Maybe if you beg for a win, you should be given a time out in Free Realms.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Merlin is offline Amateur Gamer

I couldn't agree more with this thread. I have backed off from playing in tournament due to all the "brats" that come in and bash on others or beg to no end. Spamming, repeated friends requests, and begging are what burn me up the most! I still love TCG but now I just come in once or twice a week to catch up on my top dualists and to get the remaining foils I need. I love to play and as all the veterans know I have never cared about badges. What good are they arfter the first one? I do enjoy helping others get a badge as I still remember the excitment when others helped me to get my first badge, and the case. Once you get the briefcase there is no reason to take first place except maybe in a FRI party if they have a scpecial first place prize, but even FRI is good about making sure it's the top 10 that get the top prizes. I can't tell you how many times I have been called a cheat or that I am taking advantage of glitches, even though I don't play any of the cards that have known glitches, at least none in my favor

So I agree with you Layla if I find someone that is being rude or being mean to others I will report them as well. Maybe if things get better I will come back in more often, although I don't know how many ppl would be excited about that Most don't like the top dualists showing up, but then there are the few that do enjoy the challenge. I am thrilled when someone beats me with a well built deck rather then just a bad draw win. And I have gone out of my way to help others build decks and even get them started with cards. But rarely is the apprication returned, I have seen more times the case being that the person that recieved help becomes one of the people that go for multple badges and forget about helping the new players. So disappointing, and really takes the desire away to help...

-Merlin
    ..... Merlin Dracothiel .....

DoD (Dualist on Demand) Codes for 100k Coins! I also offer bulk discount.
    http://www.freerealmsinsider.com/for...ad.php?t=19849

Holton is offline Pro Gamer

Firstly, I'd have to say this is not really new conduct at all. Since I started playing in TCG tournaments I have had people begging, pleading and abusing me when I refuse.

On the other point that's been raised on helping new players win: personally, (as much as you know I love you Merlin and Layla) I disagree.

I have never asked anyone for a free win and always refused when anybody offered me one. I won my first tournaments fair and square with only free cards. The reason being, I do believe you should work for the win - to me, that's the point of the game. And that's why I won't give anybody a free win either.

Actually, I think it's cheating, although I appreciate many would disagree. I also don't necessarily believe giving them something for free actually encourages them to stick around. The reason I keep coming back is because of those hard-fought wins and the challenge to place.

That said, I am happy to spend time with people building decks and have done on many occasions. I will also give new people some of my extra cards for no cost to help make their decks more competitive (that's not an invite to beg me for cards ).

Last edited by Holton; 06-17-2010 at 10:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast