Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Layla Littlenymph is offline Master Gamer

Default How to/not make friends in the TCG.

I usually wait untill the last moment to enter TCG tournaments because I get spammed with friend requests. Please don't take me the wrong way. I like to make new friends, but the way some players go about it can be bothersome. If you would like players to be more receptive to your add requests, try some of the following tehniques.

1. Open a dialouge.
    Do you approach random strangers at the mall, and ask to be their friends? That's what it feels like to me when a player I have never heard of asks to add me. Use the chat feature to open a dialouge with players you would like to add. If you are a new player, hang back and watch how the chat flows. There is only one minute between rounds. It has a certain rhythm to it. Once players get to know you, they will be more open to your add requests. The best way to get noticed is to play, and to have your name on the scoreboard. I prefer my TCG friends to be active players.

2. Keep your in game chat brief.
    Because of the way the TCG is scored, serious players want to have the time to play as many games as time allows. Good (brief) chat during a game can win over a friend. Holding up the game by constantly chatting will not.

3. Time your add request.
    Please do not send an add request to a player that is in a game. Your add request pops up in the middle of the play screen and disrupts the game. On rare occassion, this can cause the targeted players screen to freeze. If you are trying to make new friends; This is the best way NOT to do it. I wish FR would block add requests during play, but I wish for a lot of things.

4. Sportsmanship counts......a lot.
    If you would prefer to keep your friends list free of TCG players, just do these four things.
    Beg for wins and friends, whine over losses, brag about victories, and insult your fellow players.
    I have added friends during tournaments, and dropped them afterwards because of their conduct during play. A full tournament lasts for three hours. Thats a lot of time for someones true character to come to the surface.

5. It never hurts to ask.
    This is the only rule that is optional. Some (but not all) players prefer that you ask them to add you with the chat feature, instead of sending a request. I would not refuse an add because I was not asked first, but I consider it a courtesy, and treat it as such.

6. Finally; If at first you don't succeed......
    Please do not try, try again.
    At least not during the same tournament. This would be in violation of the begging clause in rule #4. Just wait untill the next tournament, and then try again. There are many reasons why a player might not add you, that have nothing to do with whether they like you or not. Begging for an add every five minutes from the same player is not a quick path to getting on their friends list. It is however, a quick path to getting on their ignored list.

TCG players are some of the best people on FR. Many of my best in-game friends come from there. If you follow a few common rules of courtesy, you will find your friends list full of quality players in no time.

If you can think of any other rules that will fit this thread; Post them below, and I will edit them into this thread.
    Last edited by Layla Littlenymph; 08-15-2010 at 07:29 AM.
    Layla Littlenymph <Mystic Mayhem>, Lolita Litlenymph <Nymphs of Mania>, Wednesday Addamsfamily <Insiders>

Cody Moonhero is offline Pro Gamer

Default Re: How to/not make friends in the TCG.

Great guide.
    Cody Moonhero
    server 1
    <Im Back>

Mudfur123 is offline Amateur Gamer

I think a rule that should be included is if you ask to be added to a friend list and they say no don't ask every five minutes, take time to talk then ask (which is kind of an add on to the first rule lol)
    Find me on FR Dovasarey, Server 8
    Spoiler: show
    A proud member of <Mystic Mayhem>

CATZ IMA KITY CATZ AND I DANCE DANCE DANCE AND I DANCE DANCE DANCE!

Penguin Master is offline Master Gamer

Its a good guide Layla!!
    After the Sharp Eyed Jay and The Roaring Lion,Peace Will Come On Dove's Gentle Wing.

Ralsar Blake is offline Explorer

A few days back I was accused of cheating when I kept getting great flips (Machine deck). I tried to explain to him why my deck worked and how his 160+ deck of all 4 colors could be improved. He continued to be awful so I ended up getting heated and was a jerk in response.

Makes me sad since I'm usually a nice guy. I hate people who are poor sports. I know it can be rough playing against some of us, but if newer players would just take the time to listen most of us are quite helpful.

Tye_Swordprince is offline Amateur Gamer

Spot on Layla. Friend requests in TCG are a big downer, especially spammed while you are actively playing.

It's tough in tcg, new players want to become friends with the better players, better players want only experienced players as friends, and some of the elite players just don't want to be bothered or socialize in tcg at all.

I send a friend request or two in tcg when I've enjoyed a game or really respect the other player. But a better way to get to know players is definitely in the realms, and not in tcg.

Layla Littlenymph is offline Master Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Moonhero View Post
    Great guide.
    Thank you Cody. You are my hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Master View Post
    Its a good guide Layla!!
    Thank you great Master of Penguins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudfur123 View Post
    I think a rule that should be included is if you ask to be added to a friend list and they say no don't ask every five minutes, take time to talk then ask (which is kind of an add on to the first rule lol)
    Thanks Mudfur. That's a very valid point. I expanded on that thoughtful comment, and added it as an epilogue piece in rule #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralsar Blake View Post
    A few days back I was accused of cheating when I kept getting great flips (Machine deck). I tried to explain to him why my deck worked and how his 160+ deck of all 4 colors could be improved. He continued to be awful so I ended up getting heated and was a jerk in response.

Sorry to hear that Ralsar. Having raised children, allow me to translate for you. "You cheated" in childspeak, translates to; I am mad that you won instead of me. I sometimes get that same response when I "Claw" someone.

Makes me sad since I'm usually a nice guy. I hate people who are poor sports. I know it can be rough playing against some of us, but if newer players would just take the time to listen most of us are quite helpful.
    Yes to both. You are a nice guy (when people are not calling you a cheater), and TCG players are helpful. I find most TCG players actually enjoy being helpful. Further evidence that many TCG players are from Venus.

Thanks for the input guys.
    Free Pink for everyone! Don't spend it all in one place.
    Last edited by Layla Littlenymph; 08-15-2010 at 08:10 AM.
    Layla Littlenymph <Mystic Mayhem>, Lolita Litlenymph <Nymphs of Mania>, Wednesday Addamsfamily <Insiders>

Arioch is offline Explorer

Thanks the the well thought out input Layla. I have my own fair share of problems when it comes to this topic. Don't get me wrong, I love making new friends but sometimes what I encounter in TCG is too annoying to a certain extent. As per the original post which points out the incessant friend request spammings, they block my view when I'm playing and after rejecting the initial request; lo and behold; comes another after another. The worst ones are those who constantly spam after each rejection. I guess some people can't take rejection that well :/ .

Knowing well that SOE wouldn't do anything about this issue (like putting in a time-line for friend request after 5 mins or so)other than adding new SC items, I just have to live and let live *sigh*

sweet i actually read everything attentivly but i am guilty of talkin alot in TCG only cause i get bored while waitng for a match
    peek-A-boo , jasmine c u merry christmas

kimiko suzuki is offline Pro Gamer

great guide layla
    some of these rules should also apply to the tcg trade lobby.it gets annoying when people are constintly asking you to trade even after you deny them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast