Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Title: Community Thread: Share Your Winning Decks!

Vulturion is offline Newbie Explorer

Default Community Thread: Share Your Winning Decks!

Hi-de-hi Insiders!
    My first post here, though obviously I recognize a fair few names from in-game and the official forums.
    Rose is a fan of the thread I started on this topic over there, and suggested it might be appealing to folks here too.

Obviously I won't be posting what others have contributed without their permission, but I'm happy to get the ball rolling with my own winning decks...

~ O ~

This thread is intended for folks to share their winning decks with the community, hopefully for pointers which cannot adequately be expressed through the in-game filter (numbers! we have numbers here!).

NB: "Winning" is a subjective term obviously, so please write the credentials of your deck when you post.

NB: I don't personally feel sharing winning decks is a big deal (most 'pro' decks only have 14 different cards so are easily tracked after all), but out of respect for other opinions no sharing other people's winning decks.

~ O ~
    Mateo Cloudriver's Ninja Master Deck

Credentials: Tournament winning! (both Order sphere week and general)
    Composition: 12 common, 15 uncommon, 3 rare, 10 promotional
    • 3 x 1C143 Chugawug Cook
    • 3 x 1C157 Soaring Eagle
    • 3 x 1U145 Chugawug Spearman
    • 3 x 1U155 Sanctuary Peacekeeper
    • 3 x 1U158 Star-Throwing Ninja
    • 3 x 1P25 Jammie Swiftsong
    • 1 x 1P5 Sam Potts
    • 3 x 1R147 Ninja Master
    • 3 x 1C175 Judo Chop
    • 3 x 1C177 Oh, It's On!
    • 3 x 1U94 Turbo Charged
    • 3 x 1P22 Sprint
    • 3 x 1U160 Alive Again
    • 3 x 1P24 Whisk Wing Boots
    Avg Flip: 2.8
    1. The Star Throwing Ninjas are sometimes replaced by other creatures, but I usually wind up back with them eventually.
    2. The Sam Potts slot can be given to any other card I feel like (usually at least 3 gems including RR), but she's impressed me lately in other decks.
    3. The Judo Chops are interchangeable with Easy Target; I like Easy Target's RR gems, but if I have a run of bad starts then cheap old Judo Chops win the place.
    4. Turbo Charged used to be Rain of Arrows, but I've switched for good now.
    Personally I don't think that this is a very hard deck to play - the main skills are knowing where to play both kinds of Ninja and when to hold back on tricks for the greater good - but needless to say it requires 3 Ninja Masters.

I don't think any of the other cost 6s would quite suffice, though the deck could maybe be adapted if it were more Pixie or Chugawug loaded as appropriate.

Mateo Cloudriver's Ambrose Deck

Credentials: Tournament winning, Chaos sphere week
    • Disclaimer - I'm always tinkering with this deck, so it's not going to be the exact same as it was when it last won a tournie.
    Composition: 15 common, 6 uncommon, 4 rare, 12 promotional, 3 starter
    • 3 x 1C11 Angry Yeti
    • 3 x 2C10 Mad Fungaloid
    • 3 x 1S182 Gloam Agent
    • 3 x 1C132 Yeti Chief
    • 3 x 2P2 Ambrose Worcester
    • 3 x 2P30 Hildegarde
    • 3 x 1P21 Shifty the Shuffler
    • 1 X 2R8 Brutus the Betrayer
    • 3 x 2P35 Inspiration
    • 3 x 2C26 Column of Fire
    • 3 x 1U45 Honor Among Thieves
    • 3 x 2R25 The Boot
    • 3 x 2U19 Driller
    • 3 x 2C23 Shattered Mirror
    Avg Flip: 2.6
    1. Personally I don't regret moving to card drawing critters to boost the reliability of this deck, but Robgoblin Cook and Shadow Talon Archer are always available alternatives.
    2. The Gloam Agents are interchangeable with Shadow Talon Swordmasters, but I find opponents much more likely to try and squish those.
    3. I used to take Pappy Farnum, but now that I have Hildegarde she's in the deck for good.
    4. The Brutus slot can be given to any BB 4 gem card as he very rarely reaches the field - I just find his scoring spike potential reassuring.
    5. Inspiration is interchangeable with other BB 4 gem cards - I'm just enjoying the novelty right now, and it can score points.
    6. The Columns of Fire can be replaced with any indulgent 2 gem card - I just favor it at the moment for sneaking in extra early points that go underestimated, or unleashing devastating Shifty salvos!
    Like most fast decks, this is pretty much a full-steam ahead affair that is all about out-scoring the opponent.

Most wins come from out-crittering foes (if they aren't drawing bonus cards they mightn't be able to replace creatures fast enough to counter-attack) or unleashing an evil 3-5+ point Shifty maneuver on turn 5.

Mateo Cloudriver's Gadget Deck

Credentials: Tournament winning, Machine sphere week
    • Disclaimer - this deck subsequently had a significant overhaul in replacing Speed Demons with Dwarven Mining Masters, but I'm confident this has made it much stronger.
    Composition: 9 common, 11 uncommon, 4 rare, 13 promotional, 3 starter
    • 3 x 1U59 Dwarven Digger
    • 3 x 1C60 Dwarven Salvager
    • 3 x 2U33 Chugawug Builder
    • 3 x 2S100 Gadget Maker
    • 3 x 2P4 Mustang Alli
    • 3 x 2P12 Esther the Brain
    • 3 x 1R58 Dwarven Mining Master
    • 1 x 1R71 Speed Demon
    • 3 x 1C84 Fall Back
    • 3 x 1C91 Spring Forward
    • 2 x 1P14 Anesthesia
    • 2 x 2U48 Duck!
    • 2 x 1P6 Sunder Forge Stomp
    • 3 x 1U94 Turbo Charged
    • 3 x 1P8 Anvil Song Apron
    Avg Flip: 2.7
    1. Dwarven Salvager is new for the Dwarven Mining Masters, though I am finding him an asset for Spring Forward and general early point scoring - if I had 3 Apprentice Miners I'd give them a chance though.
    2. The specific rare creatures aren't essential, but this is a slow deck so you need something big & Machine affiliated (for Esther) waiting at the end.
    3. The playstyle of this deck makes resources redundant, hence there only being 3!
    The early turns are all about scoring easy points (hunts and attacks where possible) in readiness for the arrival of a Gadget Maker - it is very important to use Fall Back & Spring Forward at every (rational) opportunity in the hope of drawing a Gadget Maker or Dwarven Mining Master!

It's fine to just inventory creatures & tricks (especially if you're starting hand has the key cards); you're aiming to end up with either a Gadget Maker/Esther wall which renders all your creatures formidable, or you'll play a Dwarven Mining Master and draw more cards than you can ever possibly need.

Autumn Roselake is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Community Thread: Share Your Winning Decks!

Thanks for sharing this! I cant wait to see what other ppl post. We have a lot of really good tcg players here.

Claire Goldenbeach is offline Amateur Gamer

Wow! Thanks so much for joining us here Vulturion...this thread is going to be a tremendous resource for FRI members.

Welcome to FRI!

RandomPlayer is offline Master Gamer

Ah, well, I don't really have a full deck working together really, but...
    2x Kart Driver
    1x Garrison Gold
    The rest of the deck must have at least one green gem per card. If you are able to get all three of the above-mentioned cards on the playing field simultaneously, you can continuously attack with the two Kart Drivers until you win a battle. Garrison Gold will prevent them from being destroyed and the green gem flips ensure that their readying abilities are activated, allowing for an infinite number of attempts at victory. This obviously won't be helpful if the opponent is three base defense points above your Kart Driver's attack points, but that's rather difficult to find. This tiny strategy has gotten me through many situations, but doesn't go very well in Tournaments.
    Last edited by RandomPlayer; 04-10-2010 at 12:01 PM.
    Status: Quit FR since I never liked FR at all. Will probably not post anymore.

Vulturion is offline Newbie Explorer

That's a wiley strategy!

I'm always fearful of using "cannot be destroyed" Heroes in case the reverse happens to me (Ambrose vs indestructable critter = UGLY), but it sounds like an interesting ploy to try...

Heh, well, the only flaw really is that Garrison Gold is still as vulnerable as ever, so I try to save all of my Tricks to keep him on the field.
    Last edited by RandomPlayer; 06-27-2010 at 10:39 AM.

Tommy Stormbringer is offline Amateur Gamer

Anybody else would like to share their winning decks? I'm finding this topic very useful.
    Tommy Stormbringer
    <Insiders>

Quote Originally Posted by RandomPlayer View Post
    Ah, well, I don't really have a full deck working together really, but...
    2x Kart Driver
    1x Garrison Gold
    The rest of the deck must have at least one green gem per card. If you are able to get all three of the above-mentioned cards on the playing field simultaneously, you can continuously attack with the two Kart Drivers until you win a battle. Garrison Gold will prevent them from being destroyed and the green gem flips ensure that their readying abilities are activated, allowing for an infinite number of attempts at victory. This obviously won't be helpful if the opponent is three base defense points above your Kart Driver's attack points, but that's rather difficult to find. This tiny strategy has gotten me through many situations, but doesn't go very well in Tournaments.
    If anybody likes to use this strategy, then I should warn you about Ambrose Worcester (I think is the card name). When Ambrose crushes his opponent, he is able to ready any ally, including himself. When powered up with Power Nap and 25 Tricks in your hand, and the opponent cannot be destroyed (i.e Garrison Gold + Kart Driver), Ambrose may just keep attacking and scoring, but not destroying, always guaranteeing himself a crush and inevitably winning the game. It's a powerful card, but only useful if the opponent sets him/herself up first.

Torak Lin is offline Pro Gamer

RandomPlayer, I play a Machine deck and I find that your strategy is really helpful. However, as you said, that strategy doesn't help much in tournaments as Garrison Gold is vulnerable. Sometimes, I run out of Tricks and I have to sacrifice my Garrison Gold to some powerful bosses.

And I'll have to get Raven Companion creature card from Garrison Gold. It's pretty useful in earlier part of the match. Just a single red diamond gem (I think it's red) and it will boost 3 Defense. Very good against medium-cost Chaos creature cards.
    Torak Lin ö(◕.◕)ö

10Fingerz is offline Master Gamer

The beautiful thing about the card game is creating your own strategies.

There are several very effective strategies that are fairly common;

Steam Engineer + "Zap Me" Resources
    Kart Driver + Garrison Gold
    Royal Archer + Royal Mage
    Mushroom Giant + Easy Money (+ Stampede)

But these are pretty standard, and people have designed their decks to counter some of these...

Here is some advice I give to other players;

Deck Design:

You have to think like a computer, draws really are not "random". Logically, with 40 cards you should have a 2.5% chance of drawing any card, but the way computers work, this isnt necessarily true...

If you want to draw a one point creature your first round logically you would have to have a minimum of 7 (40/6=6.67). But did you know, that if you had 3 each of 2 different 1-point creatures, you actually have a better chance of drawing them than lets say 2 of each of 3 different two point creatures?

I dont really understand the math, but in the below example there is a better chance of drawing a 1-point creature than a 2-point (go figure):

3 x Apprentice Smiths (cost 1)
    3 x Dwarven Digger (cost 1)
    2 x ROFL (cost 2)
    2 x Pit Crew (cost 2)
    2 x Toads (cost 2)

Its not always going to work out that way, but trust me it will more times than not.

So keeping this in mind when building your deck, Go with these basic designs;

For a 40 card deck you GENERALLY want;

18 Creatures
    12 Tricks
    10 Resources

For creatures you want;

6 x 1-point
    4 x 2-point
    3 x 3-point
    3 x 4-point
    2 x 5-point

Or if you want to use 6-point creatures, same idea;

6 x 1-point
    4 x 2-point
    2 x 3-point
    2 x 4-point
    2 x 5-point
    2 x 6-point

Make sense? make it so you have less of a chance to draw the larger creatures than the lower cost creature...

Same thing for Tricks, stagger them so you have a better chance of drawing low point tricks early, and high point tricks later;

4 x 1-Point
    3 x 2-Point
    3 x 3-Point
    2 x 4-Point

These are just general rules of thumb, of course, but if you want proof, look at the starter decks...

Anyways, thats the best advise I can give. There are all sorts of really cool combos, and you just have to learn from losing to these well designed decks.

But all winning decks have a couple of things in common;

DRAWING CARDS - its like rolling doubles in Monopoly, try to get in as many low point draw card cards as possible for your design

A DECENT FLIP - I'll be honest, I cant design a chaos deck for the life of me, but there isn't a Chaos deck out there without a decent flip that I cant beat blind-folded. When gem count is bad the deck is bad.

LOW CARD COUNTS - A well designed 40 card deck is always more effective than the best designed 60 card deck. Simple fact.

In closing, what I did was take a starter deck (they really are very solid decks) and simply replaced cards until I found something that worked for me. When I added a cost three creature, I removed a cost three creature. When I added a trick that cost two, I removed a cost two. Keep the basic deck design, and test your decks.

And finally here is a rather effective deck that doesn't take much to put together;

3 x Apprentice Smith (C)
    3 x Assistant Smith (C)
    2 x Chicken Bomber (C)
    2 x ROFLE (C)
    2 x Raven Companion (P)
    2 x Weaponsmith (C)
    3 x Steam Engineers (R)
    1 x Captain Chugug (R)

2 x Fall Back (C)
    3 x Hammer Strike (C)
    2 x Spring Forward (C)
    3 x Heavy Meal (U)
    2 x Royal Decree (C)
    2 x Squeaky Wheel (C)

2 x Intimidation (P)
    2 x Power Nap (P)
    2 x Dwarven Efficiency (U)
    2 x Long Shot (R)
    2 x Reflex Hammer (P)

Its pretty simple, get the steam engineers out and kick everythings booty. Really you dont even need the Long Shots or the Chugug (I just have them because I hate Long Shot when it is used against me, and the Chugug is just in case I don't draw a Steam Engineer by round 5, or if they manage to take em out...)

Anyways, all you really need is 3 Steam Engineers (I got mine for about a booster each, so $12 and you have a VERY powerful deck). If you dont have some of the shattered promo cards, just fill them in with "zap me" resources...

Anyways, good luck! We'll see ya in game!

Dorian Silvervale & Baron Von Boomer

Her Majesty's Secret Service

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast