Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    shadowsfell is offline Explorer

Default Cesar's Tournament Winning Deck - Machine - "Score Cards" :)

Hi, in talking to Anuraag (hopefully I spelled your name right), I said I'd post my deck ... so here I am, making good.

I've descriptively named it "40 - Score Cards - TriRes", because it relies heavily on extra cards due to tricks and resources. Its basically half a dwarf deck, because I don't have a single dwarf in my deck higher than cost 3.

In the 5 tournaments I've played the full 3 hours, using this deck, I've won 3 of them; in 1 I took 2nd, due to having fewer loses (darn you Ragman! lol); and in the last Insiders Tournament I took 12th ... knocked out of top 10 by last loss to Sgt. York, as time was expiring .

Sphere: Machine
    Number of Cards: 40
    Flip Average: 2.8

Creatures: 19
    • Cost 1
      • 3x Dwarven Digger (U) (Machine)
        • 1 red gem
        • +3 defense on 2 green gem flip
      • 3x Dwarven Salvager (C) (Machine)
        • 1 red gem
        • +3 attack on 1 green gem flip
    • Cost 2
      • 2x Pit Crew Member (C) (Machine)
        • 1 green gem
        • +2 attack/+2 defense on 1 red gem flip
        • 0 coins to move to another slot
    • Cost 3
      • 3x Weed Wacker (R) (Machine)
        • 2 green gem
        • +2 attack per scored card in opponents colum on 1 red gem flip
        • 0 coins to move to another slot
    • Cost 4
      • 3x Mustang Alli (P) (Machine)
        • 3 green gem
        • +2 attack/+2 defense on 1 red gem flip
        • Trickster
    • Cost 5
      • 3x Esther the Brains (P) (Hero)
        • All machine allies flip extra card
        • 1 red gem, 1 yellow gem, 2 green gem
    • Cost 6
      • 2x Demo Demo (R) (Machine)
        • 4 red gems
        • score card on 1 green gem flip
        • crush - score extra card
    Tricks: 10
    • 2 Star
      • 2x Duck (U) (Machine)
        • 1 red gem, 2 green gem
        • +2 defense on creature, +3 defense if creature is dwarf
      • 3x Up the Wall (P) (Machine)
        • 1 red gem, 2 green gem
        • +1 attack for each card on your battling creatures score pile
      • 2x Fast Talk (U) (Machine)
        • 2 red gem, 2 green gem
        • look at top card of deck, and either discard or keep
    • 3 Star
      • 3x Screw Loose (R) (Machine)
        • 1 red gem, 2 green gem
        • each player flips an extra card, winner scores extra card
    Resources: 11
    • 2x Mother Lode (U) (Machine)
      • 1 red gem, 1 green gem
      • crush - turn face down and score a card
    • 2x Long Shot (R) (Machine)
      • 2 red gem, 1 green gem
      • zap a machine creature, destroy 2 opponents scored cards (1 if don't zap machine creature)
    • 3x Discovery (U)
      • 2 red gem, 2 green gem
      • turn face down, discard up to 2 cards, draw that many cards
    • 3x From the Trash Bin (U) (Machine)
      • 2 red gem, 2 green gem
      • zap, +1 defense for every resource in discard pile
    • 1x Under the Hood (C) (Machine)
      • 2 red gem, 2 green gem
      • turn face down, look at top card of either deck
    Comments:
    • In turn 1
      • If you don't have any cost one creatures, play and use Discovery if you have it....
      • ....Otherwise, put out Mother Lode resource first, if you have it
      • If you go first, play dwarven digger if you have it
      • If you go second, play dwarven salvager to attack a creature that has <= 2 or 3 defense, assuming it gets full power up.
      • DO NOT attack creatures (like Dwarven Diggers, Steam Monkey, etc) that can get high attack on right flip ... unless you used Under the Hood to verify what your opponent flips
    • In turn 2
      • If you have 2 cost 1 creatures, play them
      • Otherwise, if you have a Pit Crew Member, play him
      • Like in turn one, DO NOT attack high defense creatures. Go for hunts, or quick/easy kills
      • Like in turn one, get out your Mother Lodes, if you have one
    • In turn 3
      • NOW THE FUN BEGINS!
      • Play your Weed Wacker, and attack your opponents high defense creature thats been hunting for 2 or 3 turns
      • When attacking with Weed Wacker, use Screw Loose -- serves 3 purposes
        • Helps ensure you get the almighty 1 red gem, to use its killer power up
        • Gives you an extra score, if he wins
        • If he wins, gives you a higher liklihood of crushing, to use Mother Lode
      • With Screw Loose+Mother Load+Weed Wacker combo, I have scored 4 cards on one battle. 3 is common, since a mother lode is normally out by now
    • In turn 4
      • THE FUN CONTINUES with Mustang Alli. Play her against low attack / high defense creatures, if possible.
      • Again, another opportunity to use Screw Loose -- I almost always use it with Mustang Alli, for same reasons as Weed Wacker.
      • Mustang Alli+Screw Loose+Mother Lode is powerful combination.
      • If you don't have Screw Loose, or aren't sure about the win, but have an unused Mother Lode, you can use Up the Wall, to gain attack.
    • In Turn 5
      • Not much too this turn. I usually win in turn 5, just use common sense
      • If you have her, and something else doesn't make more sense (Mustang Alli or Weed Wacker), play Esther
      • PROTECT HER, play her against a low attack creature, don't attack with her.
    • In Turn 6
      • Optimally, if you have a Demo Demon, play it and chase a creature in a column with a lot of scored cards
      • Double "Screw Loose" combo possible!
      • So many possibilities. With Esther out, double Screw Loose, and a Mother Lode or two, if you haven't used them, with Demo Demon you can score 6+ cards (3 from Demo Demon's win, power up and crush, plus extras from Screw Loose/Mother Lodes if used)
    Thoughts:
    • Like anything, bad draws can kill. You can normally catch up quick, using Weed Wacker in round 3 with Screw Loose and Mother Lode, even if he's your first creature out
    • Order decks that make use of destroying creatures with low defense really stink, because your early creatures all have <= 3 defense. If you have to wait till Mustang Alli to do damage, the game is just about lost. If you can, let them use Sport Shades, for example, to take out your Diggers and Salvagers, and Pit Crew Members
    • I used to have 1 more Pit Crew Member, 2 less Long Shots, 1 more Mother Lode, 2 less Ducks (for total of 0), 2 more Victory Laps
      • Took out 1 Pit Crew Member to help with gem flips
      • Added Long Shots to help games where I'm behind
      • Replaced Victory Lap with Duck, to get some defense to save my almighty Weed Wackers, and Esther, etc.
    • Am thinking about replacing Long Shot with Sudden Strike ... removing cards from opponents columns hurts Weed Wacker's potential. I think Sudden Strike might help for situations where I have to deal with Steam Engineer, or Easy Money, et cetera.
    Basically, this is just a fun deck to use! Screw Loose, as Ralsar posted, can burn you too ... but its still a lot of fun

Thoughts? Thanks for listening, this turned out longer than I thought, lol....
    Cesar Shadowcloak

Selling TCG Foils and Fully Loaded Miner Gear (max level miner):

Archer is offline Amateur Gamer

Default Re: Cesar's Tournament Winning Deck - Machine - "Score Cards" :)

Here are some possible tweaks that I would do for myself using this deck: Fast Talk replace both with Squeaky Wheel. Replace one hero with a Dwarf Mining Master and one Up the Wall with Hold 'Em Down. That way you could get out Dwarf Mining Master on turn 4 or 5 and chase him with a Demo Demon. Replace one of the Mustang Alli for a Blacksmith Brix (good for recycling resources). Replace one of the Long Shot with Careless Driver. Replace Under the Hood with You Go First. Replace one Screw Loose with Turbo Charged (for cases when crushing is not super easy).

I do recall playing against this deck at times. As I recall, it was hard to slow down the scoring enough to give me time to win, but not impossible. Pie in the Face would help.

Mother Lode will generally activate on Mustang Alli even when you don't deserve it because tricksters aren't working right with crush right now.
    Last edited by Archer; 09-02-2010 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Here are some possible tweaks that I would do for myself using this deck: Fast Talk replace both with Squeaky Wheel. Replace one hero with a Dwarf Mining Master and one Up the Wall with Hold 'Em Down. That way you could get out Dwarf Mining Master on turn 4 or 5 and chase him with a Demo Demon. Replace one of the Mustang Alli for a Blacksmith Brix (good for recycling resources). Replace one of the Long Shot with Careless Driver. Replace Under the Hood with You Go First. Replace one Screw Loose with Turbo Charged (for cases when crushing is not super easy).

I do recall playing against this deck at times. As I recall, it was hard to slow down the scoring enough to give me time to win, but not impossible. Pie in the Face would help.

Mother Lode will generally activate on Mustang Alli even when you don't deserve it because tricksters aren't working right with crush right now.
    I've been hestitant to use non-machine cards in my decks, to help with gem flips. One thing that I meant to mention but forgot to is that a very high percentage of cards have double greens, to help with early Dwarven Digger flips.

I keep going back and forth on Fast Talk and Squeeky Wheel ... problem with Squeeky Wheel is you need something in your hand to replace the card on top with, and if you use your tricks during battle and place resources into inventory, that might be a challenge sometimes.

I've actually considered working in Turbo Charged, but right now am holding off cause of its double red, instead of double green, for Dwarven Digger. Assistance in lategame might be more usefull than reliability in early game though.

LOL ... concerning Tricksters and crush, thats one of the primary reasons I have her in. What I've worked out for that is that while the battle win/loss is calculated based upon attack for both creatures, the crush is calculated, I believe, on the pre-flip / post-trick DEFENSE value of the defending creature. Looking at it that way, I'm not sure its a broken thing more of an idiosyncrasy.

Blacksmith Brix I've considered, because, like you said, would help with recycling resources ... might be worth it. If the trickster crush gets "fixed", I'll definitately have to reexamine it.

Dwarf Mining Master ... with all my dwarves I've definitely considered him, might have to take another look. Again, though, I'm concerned about taking away some red-gem flips ... I sometimes have problems, already, getting red gems to get Alli and Weed Wacker to activate

Thanks, I'll definitely take a closer look at other resources.
    Cesar Shadowcloak

kadenwolfbane is offline Amateur Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by shadowsfell View Post
    I keep going back and forth on Fast Talk and Squeeky Wheel ... problem with Squeeky Wheel is you need something in your hand to replace the card on top with, and if you use your tricks during battle and place resources into inventory, that might be a challenge sometimes.
    I think I would go with squeeky wheel as well. It's essentially accomplishing the same thing as fast talk except the card goes in your hand instead of the discard pile. The big thing about squeeky wheel is that you draw a card. You can then either choose to use that same card you draw as your flip (putting it back the same way fast talk would), choose a different card from your hand that might be better, or just cancel and skip the replacement entirely and use squeeky wheel for the soul purpose of drawing an extra card to your hand (same as fast talk except in your hand instead of your discard pile).

However that's just my intuitive reaction. I haven't played with the deck but it seems to be fast and I don't know if having a 2 star trick (in fast talk) trumps the 3 star squeeky wheel's extra utility. Do you often play Fast Talk without a single star to spare?

Right, basically like Kaden is saying, you can use Squeaky Wheel like Fast Talk if you want to. You draw the card, but then rather than keep it as the flip card or discard it, you can place any card from your hand as flip card or cancel and whatever card would have been next will flip.

I am aware of the desire for double green, but using one Turbo Charged shouldn't make a big difference with this. You also have potential ways to control your flip card using Squeaky Wheel or Dwarf Mining Master's powerup ability. Also, the switch I did with changing Long Shot to Careless Driver will give you another card with a double green flip (although the You Go First counteracts it).

Now as far as non-machine cards, chaos is still ok in a dwarf deck in moderation so long as it has the double green gem flip, which Hold 'Em Down does. I could even go as high as two Hold 'Em Down in the deck, presuming you do have Dwarf Mining Master and You Go First. I would also tend to use Up the Wall interchangeably with Shuriken Toss, but I never had much luck with Up the Wall anyway. Perhaps it would shine more in a deck like this where you are always scoring quickly.

Now I can see what you mean about sometimes not having enough red gems, because of all your green gem creatures (8 in your version - 2 pit crew, 3 weed whacker, 3 mustang alli). It would be hard to lower that number, the obvious choice being to get rid of a mustang alli (maybe one less pit crew, but then you might not get him at all), but still you would likely replace Mustang Alli with Brix or Dwarf Mining Master which will still have green gems, so the only way you are really going to help the ratio is by making the deck a little bigger, like maybe having 3 squeaky wheels and 1 fast talk, which would make the deck 42 cards, or possibly by using that resource that lets you choose the order of your upcoming 2 flip cards (assuming you are not using Screw Loose during that particular battle).

One side benefit of Brix is that he can put resources into the graveyard, which helps with the use of From the Trash Bin. Of course he takes out resources too, so it is a balancing act. One of the reasons I like to have You Go First and Brix together in a deck is that the card draws tend to provide Brix some fodder for his resource cycling. And of course Hold 'Em Down provides you with a good way to chase your big creatures without losing them to the graveyard.
    Last edited by Archer; 09-02-2010 at 08:26 AM.

Anuraag is offline Pro Gamer

Wow, you actually posted it? Now i must post mine also! lol. Thanks for posting it Cesar!

Well, I hate to say, but I tried this out this morning and lost two of my three ranking games. I had a little bit of bad luck on the flips, but I wouldn't say I had a bad draw. Anyhow, that is pretty bad for me. Even when I am trying out new decks I created, I rarely lose more than one of my ranking games.

Quote Originally Posted by Anurag View Post
    Wow, you actually posted it? Now i must post mine also! lol. Thanks for posting it Cesar!
    yep, sure did ... saw that, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Well, I hate to say, but I tried this out this morning and lost two of my three ranking games. I had a little bit of bad luck on the flips, but I wouldn't say I had a bad draw. Anyhow, that is pretty bad for me. Even when I am trying out new decks I created, I rarely lose more than one of my ranking games.
    Yep, goes like that some times ... the thing that I like about this deck, though, is that you usually either win or lose fast. I'd much rather have a quick loss, than a long win. Normally, I've seen that the wins usually come pretty frequently, though. I'd be curious to see what you thought if you played a full tournament with it.
    Cesar Shadowcloak

I'm sure I would do ok in a full tournament. If I find myself losing in a tournament, I keep tweaking a deck until it works. Of course by the time I get through, it might look more like one of my dwarf decks, which are a little more intricate, rather than relying on a couple of key combinations (i.e. Weed Whacker + Screw Loose + Mother Lode) which I'll admit I was not able to get going successfully in the games I played.

My biggest disappointment was using Dwarven Salvager offensively where you really do need to get the powerup to win most battles, and although the odds theoretically are in favor of getting a single green gem, I seemed to keep flipping a Demo Demon and losing my attacks with the Dwarven Salvagers.

My games weren't going particularly quickly either, taking a good 8 to 10 minutes a piece, rather than my standard 6ish minutes.

Robertgalehaven is offline Pro Gamer

nice cesar, i do have one main suggestion to say, add in one more cost two to get better flips, and maybe one more long shot, if you want

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast