Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ShadowKevin is offline Pro Gamer

Default Can Somebody Help Me Make a Good TCG Card Deck?

Hey everyone, Shadow Kevin here. I just started getting into TCG and was wondering if somebody could help me make a good deck. I will try and get the cards you suggest, I just want help finding out what cards work well together in the game. Thanks for any help you can give!
    - Shadow Kevin
    Proud Officer of Renegade
    IGN - Shadow Kevin

Archer is offline Amateur Gamer

Default Re: Can Somebody Help Me Make a Good TCG Card Deck?

Let us know what cards you have right now.

ShadowKevin is offline Pro Gamer

I don't have many cards, just the cards you start out with and some heroes plus a few monthly membership decks, I will put down some of the cards names later but I have to go for now. I was also just wanting suggestions of cards that play good together and would help me win card duels. I would be able to buy some cards from people, so I could probably buy the suggestions you give me.
    Thanks!
    - Shadow Kevin
    Proud Officer of Renegade
    IGN - Shadow Kevin

Layla Littlenymph is offline Master Gamer

Welcome to the TCG!
    I am always happy to see new players.

With all due respect; The total list of great card combinations in TCG play are simply to numerous to list here, unless you are in the mood to read a 10 page (or greater) post. It would help greatly if you would select which sphere you would like to build in first. Each sphere has it's own unique style of play. You would be best served by choosing a sphere that suits your personal style, as opposed to trying to collect cards across all spheres. You can buy a starter deck from any of the four spheres available in the SC shop, and build upon that deck from there.
    Do you like fast aggressive play? Chaos might work for you.
    Are you more of a defensive player? Nature would be a good bet.
    Are you more of a versatile player that likes to manage more complex combinations? Machine or Order would be a good pick.

Any starter deck works as a good base. Then you can collect and substitute cards that work best in that deck. Be aware of the fact that a great deck does not guarantee wins. I (among others) won my first tournament with a starter deck. Card management is the key to winning, and that skill only comes from playing. How you play the cards you have is as important as what cards you have to play. Most every deck that beats me, has three things in common. Would you like to know what they are? Well, I'm going to tell you anyway.

1. Construction. I suggested looking at starter decks because they are well constructed. Take a good look at the ratio of creatures versus tricks annd resources. Pay attention to how many creatures you have at what cost to play them. What is the flip rate of that deck. A starter deck may not have many powerful cards, but they are well constructed. Your finished deck should resemble a starter deck, but with a better card selection.

2. Size. The minimum deck size is 40 cards. All starter decks have 40 cards. The smaller you keep your deck, the quicker it will recycle, the more likely you will be to get your best cards into play. The most common mistake that most new players make is to overload their decks. I was winning on occasion with a starter deck, and quit winning when I overloaded it with great cards. I started winning again when I reduced my deck back to the 40 or so best cards (and best combinations) I had.

3. You. Yes you! Playing the TCG is fun. Winning is more fun. Winning with a deck of your own original construction is the most fun. Do not take that the wrong way. There is nothing wrong with getting a little help, and most players are more than glad to help you. I just do not want to see you miss out on one of the best aspects of the game. In all TC style games, building the deck is half the fun. As you play and gain experience, you will see certain styles and combinations that appeal to you. In time, you will build a deck that is unique to you. The more input you have in your own deck, the more you will like it, the more you will understand it, the better you will manage it. Take all the advice from veteran players (like Archer above) that you can get, then play untill you develop your own unique style and deck. If one of the great players in this game were to give you a copy of their own deck to play with, they would still beat you more often than not. Why? Because they know their decks inside and out, and because their decks mean something to them.

Sorry for the long post. Layla has a reputation for being long winded. Have fun building and playing your deck. I look forward to beating...errr...playing you soon. Try not to pwn me to badly please.

Good luck!
    Layla,
    Layla Littlenymph <Mystic Mayhem>, Lolita Litlenymph <Nymphs of Mania>, Wednesday Addamsfamily <Insiders>

lil styles01 is offline Banned

Nature has always worked best for me, and a couple other cards.
    Bandages is a card youll really want. Im not online so I cant show you my deck, but thats a card i enjoy having, all you need are 4 cards in ur hand to play it, when you lose a battle it lets you keep that card in play.

I am going to suggest buying the machine shattered past starter deck. You can't go wrong with Gadget Maker. Below is a deck you can make with the machine shattered past starter deck and the SC quest. There are some substitutions that can be made to improve the deck using rare, uncommon, or exclusive cards, but this is made to be a deck you don't have to buy any booster packs or trade for any particular cards to be able to put together.

Using this deck will give you some good practice at different combinations. If you are interested, I can post another version I use based on this that substitutes in a some rare cards and exclusives sometime tomorrow.

Creatures:
    • 3 Dwarven Digger (Cost 1) - Double green powerup for +3 defense
    • 2 Chugawug Builder (Cost 2) - Single red powerup for +3 defense; useful in mid-game for moving cards under Gadget Maker, or in early game for setting up a good spot for Gadget Maker. Good in late game for setting up battles using Anesthesia or Sunder Forge Boot Stomp.
    • 2 Lucky Toad Companion (Cost 2) - Double green powerup for drawing two cards then discarding a card; good for getting high gem cards into your discard pile for late game flips (I recommend holding on to the low flip cards and not discarding them even if they are cost two creatures and it is late game so as to not hurt your flip rate); also good for getting resources into your discard pile for use with From the Trash Bin
    • 1 ROFLE (Cost 2) - Single green powerup for drawing two cards; best used for hunting or attacking low level chaos creatures but Lucky Toad Companion is generally better for attacks. Optional - replace ROFLE with a second Chugawug Builder.
    • 2 Gadget Maker (Cost 3) - Single red powerup for drawing one card; +2 attack and defense bonuses to all creatures when Gadget Maker has collected four or more cards.
    • 1 Raven Companion (Cost 3) - Single red powerup for +3 defense; good for readying creatures in late game, which can also work well with Power Nap or Poe Tatters.
    • 1 Weaponsmith (Cost 3) - Single red powerup for +3 defense; gives allies +3 attack when zapped, which works well with Power Nap if he is facing a strong foe and even better if there is a Gadget Maker in play giving a +2 bonus. This is actually not a free card, but it is common, and can be gotten by spinning the wheel or in my case using a code for a free sample pack. You can also substitute a third Lucky Toad or a second Raven Companion for this, or just leave it out if you don't have it.
    • 2 Kart Driver (Cost 4) - Single green powerup for readying himself and moving to another open column (where he can attack again or hunt). Works really well once Esther the Brains is in play or in combination with Power Nap (or both). Also good for scoring enough cards in certain columns to give a bonus to Gadget Maker (and you can always move Kart Driver to an open column in Set Phase, assuming you have an open column to make room for Gadget Maker).
    • 2 Mustang Alli (Cost 4) - Single red powerfup for +2 bonus to attack and defense. As a trickster, great for fighting defensive type creatures, especially order decks. Also is a good candidate to tap with Power Nap for +5 attack bonus to allies.
    • 3 Esther the Brains (Cost 5 hero, with double green, single red gem). Provides a great bonus to machine allies (extra card flip in battles for them). Works particularly well in combination with Gadget Maker who can make Esther a 7 attack / 6 defense creature or 9 attack / 8 defense with two Gadget Makers. Keep some defensive tricks or resources in play to stand up to attacks. In some cases when you can't save Esther, having three in the deck means you have a good chance of being able to play her again the following turn.
    • 1 Poe Tatters (Cost 5 hero, with double green, single red gem). Readies all machine creatures when he readies himself, which can be helpful in cases where one of his allies had been stunned, or in combination with Raven Companion when all your creatures have been stunned). This can of course be replaced with a cost 6 machine creature alternatively.
    Tricks
    • 3 Fall Back - try to use in battles where you are defending (preferably 2 or 3 at a time) with a machine creature (not a hero) that you think you will win, as this puts a high flip card in your discard pile, which will up your flip average after the reshuffle, and lets you draw a card in its place assuming you win the battle with a machine creature.
    • 3 Spring Forward - same as Fall Back, except used for attacks.
    • 1 Anesthesia - Gives your creature a bonus to both attack and defense for every scored card for the opponent creature in your column. Can be helpful against order creatures, particularly if you put your early creatures in columns where they can hunt rather than go into defensive standoffs prematurely.
    • 1 Shuriken Toss - Gives your attacking creature +2 attack for every card you immediately discard, substituted this for an Anesthesia as it works better in early game and has better gems for flips with Dwarven Digger or Lucky Toad. This is also useful for discarding cards that you would rather have out there as flip cards because you will not use them soon, such as excess four gem resources, excess heroes early on, that kind of thing.
    • 1 Hat Trick - Gives your creature a defensive bonus equal to the gems in a resource of yours that you then turn over. Best used on an already zapped resource such as with From the Trash Bin on or after turn four when you can get a bonus for zapping it, then a second bonus turning it over for an extra four defense, or with Power Nap if it has already been zapped. If you use this prior to turn four, I would use Under the Hood or Left in the Dust as a target of choice.
    • 1 Going Nuts - Gives your creature a bonus to both attack and defense for every face up resource in your inventory (whether zapped or not); best used when you will get a bonus of 3 or more. Although for a general player I would not recommend having Hat Trick and Going Nuts in the same deck, I believe it works ok in this deck because you are mainly using Hat Tricks on resources that are already zapped. Of course for this trick to be effective, you should try not to use many resources in early game, which could easily be done with Under the Hood and From the Trash Bin if you do not play cautiously. However, if you cannot seem to stop yourself from using your resources in early game (aside from Mystery Machine after a bad shuffle), you might be better served by replacing this with a second Hat Trick trick.
    • 1 Sunder Forge Boot Stomp - Gives your creature a bonus to both attack and defense for every scored card you have collected in its column. Best saved for later game in columns where you have collected four or more cards, most likely Gadget Maker.
    • 1 Rain of Arrows - Your defending creature flips an extra card; of course Turbo Charged would be better in terms of gems, but that is not a free card. Before Esther the Brains is played, this is fine to play with pretty much any creature, but especially Lucky Toad, ROFLE, or Gadget Maker to let them win a battle they likely wouldn't and be more likely to get their powerup (which means drawing a card or two, and of course better chances of getting a resource into your discard pile for use with From the Trash Bin). After Esther the Brains is played, this might be best saved for Esther herself.
    Resources
    • 2 Power Nap - Zap this resource and a creature to add its attack to all your other creatures. Best to zap a 5 or higher attack creature (higher is possible with Gadget Maker supporting).
    • 3 From the Trash Bin - best saved for turn four or after for use in combination with Hat Trick, or without Hat Trick, as long as you have three or more resources in your discard pile.
    • 3 Left in the Dust - Try to use sparingly for extra bonus to Going Nuts. However, good for moving a creature out of the way to place Gadget Maker somewhere with a higher number of scored cards, or for moving Mustang Alli or Luckly Toad in an opportune place to attack.
    • 3 Under the Hood - Better replaced with Discovery, which is not a free card. This resource is mainly here for high gems and discardability (in conjunction with Lucky Toad or Shuriken Toss), early (turn 2 or 3) use with Hat Trick, or for extra bonuses with Going Nuts. However, in a pinch, it is sometimes helpful for looking at your enemies flip card to see what powerups might or might not be activated in a battle. If for example, I was facing an order opponent with one creature who needed a yellow gem for a defense powerup and another creature who needed a red gem for a defense powerup, I might check to see if the flip card might just be a one or two yellow gem (with no red) or a one or two red gem (with no yellow) to see which battle I would have an advantage in. Now with certain opponents, they will clue in and add defensive tricks, so I might go ahead and attack with something I don't mind dying (such as a sacrificial ROFLE that will hopefully draw me two cards) even if they are going to get their powerup in hopes of goading them into needlessly expending tricks.
    • 2 Wellington's Dig - For two coins you can flip this resource and make one of your opponent's creatures attack your creature. Good for resolving defensive standoffs or for giving certain chugawug decks a taste of their own medicine. If your opponent uses Demolition Derby Driver, this is a good way to engage him without zapping your creature so you have a chance of winning the battle without being insta-killed for being zapped. However, possible pitfalls include opponent use of Spin Attack (or Careless Driver) or perhaps winning the battle, so be careful. I recommend holding this trick in your hand as long as possible or until you want to use it so as to catch your opponent offguard and keep them guessing as to what else might be up your sleeve. Of course don't use this resource with Hat Trick as it will only give +2 defense. You could also replace this with Sport Shades if you prefer to keep things simple or with Anvil Song Apron if you want to improve your flip rate. You might also consider Krash Kart for this wildcard slot for the discard potential, however I would not count on this deck crushing much, at least not before you get Esther out or are using Power Nap.
    • 0 Dwarven Efficiency - Many people like to use Dwarven Efficiency with Gadget Maker, however I would recommend against this unless you are building a Steam Engineer deck, and particularly not with this deck because there are certain key creatures in this deck which benefit from a double green gem flip which Dwarven Efficiency does not provide. Anvil Song Apron however is a workable alternative, although not ideal for use with Hat Trick, which is why I put a Chugawug Builder in the deck to support Gadget Maker card collection.
    Total 45 cards (20 creatures, 12 tricks, 13 resources; 28 cards with double green flip, 34 cards with at least single red flip, 33 cards with at least single green flip; Average flip 2..
    Last edited by Archer; 10-19-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Robertgalehaven is offline Pro Gamer

my favorite deck to play is a nasty steamer deck. It allows you to zap resources (if they are zap resources) and if a steamer is in play, you get a huge boost, the more steamers out the better
    Hope this helps!

leolemon is offline Amateur Gamer

Wow Layla and Archer, your posts are extremely insightful, thoughtful, and help... full!!! lol Archer, it's no wonder you kick butt in tournies I played you the other day, lol.

ShadowKevin, I've only been playing for two weeks and I think Layla is right. I've been looking at all the spheres, and I have to tell you, the inventors of TCG were pretty smart to make the variety they made.. All the players stats I've looked at show that over time, it is REALLY hard to give yourself some HUGE advantage with some AMAZING deck.. most people stay around 50% wins and 50% losses. So if you're trying to get an edge by getting a specific deck that will win everytime, TCG is designed for that to be near impossible (IMO).

TCG is all about game-play. For every deck you make, it seems there is an alternate deck that can beat you every time, so, you just have to keep playing around with the style until you find a method that is fun for you.
    In Game Name: Fiona AppleSinger

leolemon is offline Amateur Gamer

Oh, on another note though, I am wondering, what sphere would you recommend for trying to win the duelist quest games quickly.. I've seen Kaden Wolfbane's name on just about every record time for the quest line and I'm just wondering, how DOES he DO it??
    In Game Name: Fiona AppleSinger

Here is an alternate high flip more dwarvish version of the deck.

Creatures:
    • 3 Dwarven Digger (Cost 1)
    • 2 Lucky Toad Companion (Cost 2)
    • 1 Pyrotechnician(Cost 2)
    • 1 ROFLE (Cost 2)
    • 1 Dwarven Builder (Cost 3)
    • 1 Gadget Maker (Cost 3)
    • 1 Raven Companion (Cost 3)
    • 1 Weaponsmith (Cost 3)
    • 1 Artifact Detector (Cost 4)
    • 1 Kart Driver (Cost 4)
    • 1 Mustang Alli (Cost 4)
    • 2 Esther the Brains (Cost 5 hero)
    • 2 Dwarf Mining Master (Cost 6)
    Tricks
    • 1 Inspiration
    • 3 Fall Back
    • 3 Spring Forward
    • 1 Shuriken Toss
    • 2 Duck
    • 1 Up the Wall
    • 1 Hat Trick
    • 2 Squeaky Wheel
    • 1 Sprint
    Resources
    • 2 Power Nap
    • 3 Discovery
    • 3 From the Trash Bin
    • 2 Left in the Dust
    • 2 Under the Hood
    • 1 Wellington's Dig
    Total 46 cards (18 creatures, 15 tricks, 13 resources; 33 cards with double green flip, 35 cards with at least single red flip, 34 cards with at least single green flip; Average flip 3.1).
    Last edited by Archer; 10-22-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast