Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By The Flaming Trident
  • 2 Post By Ragu

Title: Jobs Part 1

Egg Zachly is offline Banned

Default Jobs Part 1

Jobs

Farmer

I think that Farmer should become an official job. It already has all the makings of an official job. You would only need to add more equippable items to the coinshop and perhaps add some more quests. For example, you could equipe a variety of pitch forks and rakes in the weapon slot. I think the Wilds farm that all players start out with should be your official Farmer level and all additional Farms will not affect your Farmer level. I do not know whether or not the idea for the Ranching job has been officially scrapped but I propose that it would be easier to add features to the already existing farms rather then creating a new job from scratch. I think all farms should come equiped with a number of pens, one for sheep, one for chickens and one for cows. You would be able to increase the size of each pen from leveling up until a maximum amount of animals is reached in each pen. For example at level 20 you would be able to have 10 chickens in the chicken pen. You could gain small amounts of experience by maitenancing these pens or tending to the animals. For example, you can create a second "Farm-o-matic" that would be used to convert seeds into "feed" to use for the animals or weeds picked from your farm will now be collected in your inventory which you can convert into starw or hay.

Each pen would have a water trough that can be filled with water by filling a bucket by using it on the well and then using the bucket on the trough. You would also be able access some new tools in the toolshed like a pair of shears to collect wool from the sheep and a bottle to milk the cows with. The milk collected from the cow can be used for recipes for the Chef job. The chickens would periodically lay eggs that can be collected also for the use of recipes for the Chef job. The wool collected from the sheep would be used for the suggested Tailer job. Each animal would have a timer on them which will tell you how soon you can collect from them again similar to the way crops have a timer for when they can be harvested. For example, let's say you have just milked a cow, a timer would then become visible that will say that you can not milk that cow again for at least 8 hours. Also similar to the way if you do not water your crops they will stop growing, if you do not maitenance your animals they will not produce their collected items. For example, let's say you did not feed or water your cow, a message will become visible that will say progress halted, cow is thirsty. If it would be too hard to implement these changes to all existing farms then I suggest that all players recieve one "master farm" that will have all the features of the already existing farms plus the features I have listed above and this would be the farm that counts toward your Farmer level and all other farms would not impact that level.

Another farming feature I would like to see is that at higher levels crops will no longer become infested or diseased. One of the most frustrating aspects of farming is that occasionally your crops will either be infested by a variety of different pests or become diseased both of which significantly increase the amount of time it takes for a crop to fully mature and if left unattended may even cause your crops to wither. This becomes particularly frustrating when planting crops that have a fast mature time like Bumbleberry which is fully grown within 5 minutes because I have noticed that crops that mature faster also have a much higher probability of becoming infested or diseased. It feels rather silly that I am having more problems with a level 1 crop then I do with higher level crops simply because it ages faster. You would think by level 20 I should not have any problems with lower level crops at all. So my idea is that for every crop there would be a level in which once obtained that crop would never become infested or diseased again.

I would place that level at 5 levels higher then that of when you were originally able to grow that crop. So let's take for example Bumbleberry as I already mentioned is a level 1 crop, so at level 6 you would master this crop and it will no longer be able to become infested or diseased. The next crop would be Snowberry which is a level 3 crop, so at level 8 you would master this crop and it will no longer be able to become infested or diseased as well and so on. This would pose a problem for crops that are level 16 and up as the current level cap is level 20 farming. This would mean that any crop above level 16 would not have the possibility of gaining the same ability. However SOE has said that they are considering raising the level cap of all jobs therefor if said update were to be implemented then even these higher level crops would have the possibility of gaining the same abilities as the lower level crops, eventually reaching a point where no crops can become either infested or diseased.

Tailor (New Job)

This would be a non combat job that would be leveled up by completing quests and recipes in similar fashion as the Chef job. You would collect items/resources needed to complete a recipe and then enter a mini game where you would have to perform certain tasks like cutting fabric with scissors, sewing or stiching together fabric with a needle, maybe converting string to wool on a loom, etc. Possible Tailer "crafting stations" may include a sewing machine/work bench and loom. Alternatively, these mini games would also be offered in the game guide window for players to be able to level up this job without acquiring the necessary resources needed for the recipes but they will not be rewarded the finished item at the end similarly to the
    Blacksmith and Chef jobs. A player could obtain the resources by purchasing them in the coin shop or collecting them manually through the suggested Farming job above. If a player does acquire the necessary items for completing a recipe then they will be rewarded the finished item upon completion of the mini game. These created items would be worn by freestyle jobs like Adventurer and Card Duelist.

Equipment

The Tailer job could wear a variety of safety equipement like aprons, padded boots and gloves, perhaps thimbles, ect. It would be a sort of blend between the Blacksmith and Chef jobs in terms of clothing style. The weapon slot could have a variety of scissors, shears or irons (the kind you use to iron your clothes). The misc. slot could have a variety of tool/utlitity belts that contain holsters for pins needles. The maxed level equipement should be some sort of blend between the maxed level equipement of the Blacksmith and Chef jobs in terms of clothing style.

Miner

Ever since the mining update that was implemented sometime around the release of Sun Stone Valley the Miner job has become quite slow and tedious to level up. Previous to this update a player would be able to access a match making style minigame from locations all around Sacred Grove and also included in the game guide window. Completing said minigames would usually reward an average of around 200 stars per mini game and would not take very long to complete. This made the Miner job one of the faster jobs in the game to level up and max out. Since the update and the removal of these mini games, a player must now manually mine from ore spawns that appear randomly at different locations. The action required to mine these ores has a cooldown timer of somewhere between 5-10 seconds and yeilds very few stars, stacking on the fact that these ores spawn randomly at different locations meaning that the player will have to actively seek out these ore spawns thus running around the map and wasting vaulable time. Because of this the time required to level up the Miner job as well as collecting ore to complete Blacksmith recipes has increased tremendously and has reduced the Miner job from formly being among the fastest jobs to level up in the game to now the absolute slowest job to level up.

It can take up to hours to collect the necessary amounts of ore to complete a Blacksmith recipe while the time required to actually complete that Blacksmith recipe is significantly less only requiring a few minutes maximum. I think that the old mining mini games should be brought back to balance this disproportioned investment of time but with some changes that would make the ore spawns still relevant. Some of the mining quests as well as recipes for Blacksmith require a player to collect secondary gems that would appear as uncommon or rare nodes in the mining mini game. You could also collect these same gems from manually mining ore spawns so I would remove the possibility of recieving these gems from the mining mini game therefor making it necessary for a player to have to manually mine an ore spawn if they wish to collect these uncommon or rare gems. This way a player could still level up the Miner job quickly by utilizing the mini game but in order to collect the necessary gems for completing certain recipes and quests a player will still have to mine the ore spawns making both features relevant.

Default Re: Jobs Part 1

Part 2

Chef

First I think we should implement the ideas described above in the Farmer job section to make the Chef job a little more intuitive with collecting more resources to complete recipes. This would provide players with more paths and options to get them introduced and acclimated with the Chef job. There really is not much else to add here other then the fact I think the amount of stars gained from completing Chef mini games are currently too low and should be raised from it's current amount of 50 stars to at least double that amount of 100 stars. I would rather see 150-200 stars per mini game personally. I consider Chef a crafting or production job along the same genre of the Miner or Blacksmith jobs, both of which can be leveled at a far faster rate then the Chef job (pre-mining update.) To compensate for this I think that the Chef job should have a similar leveling curve so that way it can be leveled up at around the same approximate speed as the Blacksmith job.

Fisherman

Currently there is no use for any of the fish that is collected while leveling up the Fisherman job so as of now they are just taking up space in our inventories. I suggest that a Fisherman's market is created and added to each of the 6 fishing holes of Sacred Grove. These Fisherman's markets would be similar to the Farmer's market as they would have leveled recipes or orders to be completed. The levels of each order and the required fish would be dependent on what fish can be caught at the particular fishing hole. For example, there may be a level 1 order for the Rainbow Lake fishing hole in Lakeshore that will require 5 Flutterfish, 5 Calico Catfish and 5 Tickled Trout and a level 5 order that will require 5 Toothy Tetra, 10 Flutterfish, 10 Calico Catfish and 10 Tickled Trout. These fish would not be required in the Wintery Basin Fisherman's market in Snowhill because these fish can not be caught at that fishing hole. Once an order is completed you would be rewarded with some coins and have a chance to spin a wheel which would have a variety of rewards like leveled Fisherman clothing items and bait used to catch certain types of fish relevant to the fish that can be caught at that fishing hole. For example completing a low level fishing recipe at the Rainbow Lake fishing hole in Lakeshore would have the Frostflies and Tiny rib lures as possible rewards from the wheel as they can be used to increase your chances of catching Flutterfish and Calico Catfish respectively. This would help you catch specific types of fish that you may be missing to complete higher level orders. This would also be a good way to implement some of my new item suggestions for the Fisherman job mentioned in my Items thread as they could be possible rewards from the wheel once you have completed an order.

Card Duelist

Currently the only way to level up the Card Duelist job is by doing quests. There are Card Duelist mini games offered in the game guide but they only serve as practice matches that do not reward any stars. With that latest news from SOE that they will be raising the level cap for jobs I think that there must be alternative ways to be able to level up the Card Duelist job so that players will not have to wait until new quest lines are created. For example, let's say that a player has already maxed out their Card Duelist job and has already completed all of the quest expansions, how will they be able to level up the Card Duelist job once the level cap has been increased? They have already reached the maximum amount of stars for the current level cap. Will they be automatically rewarded the stars they would have obtained by completing these quests as if they were somehow stored after already reaching the maximum amount of stars? If not then this puts veteran players at a disadvantage as only newer players who have not already completed all the quest expansions would stand to gain from this update.

So my idea is to rework the current Card Duelist job to not only allow players to obtain stars from battling npcs without the necessity of quests but also to allow players to obtain cards as possible rewards from defeating these npcs. Let me explain. We can take for example the Sam Potts npc in Sanctuary. Sam Potts has 4 available decks for you to challenge they are as followed: Trick deck, Creature deck, Resource deck, and Tournament deck. Each deck scales with difficulty as encountered in the Card Duelist quest line. As you unlock new challenges from npcs you would be able to rebattle them after completing their quest to obtain stars and possible card rewards from that npc's deck. For example, let's say every time you defeat Sam Pott's Trick deck you are rewarded with 50 stars and a spin at a wheel for a chance to obtain other cards that are contained in Sam Pott's Trick deck and every time you defeat Sam Pott's Creature deck you are rewarded with 100 stars and a spin at a wheel for a chance to obtain other cards that are contained in Sam Pott's Creature deck. The amount of stars earned from completing each battle would scale with difficulty as the possible cards that can be obtained from the wheel will reflect that of which is available in the deck that you have battled. This would apply to all npcs allowing a player to both be able to level up the Card Duelist job without having to necessarily complete all the quests and also be able to obtain a wider variety of cards from replaying said npcs to allow a player to be able to better customize their deck to become more prepared for more difficult npcs that they will encounter in later quest lines or expansions.

Pet Trainer
    (Update: I wrote this before SOE said that they were strongly considering bringing back Pet Trainer.)

Currently the "Most Stars" high score is rigged in favor of older players and is completely unfair to anyone who has joined since the removal of the Pet Trainer job. It is impossible for a newer player to increase their rank above someone who has already maxed out all jobs including the Pet Trainer job because the maximum amount of stars obtainable will be far less. Does this mean that older players are inherently better and should be ranked higher then a newer player merely because they were around for a longer time? No. This is unfair and makes the high scores a rigged system. Why should I be hundreds of ranks below another player just because "I was too late to the party?" There are only two things you can do to make this fair and even ground for all players. Option one and more preferably, would be to readd the Pet Trainer job to the game so that all players can have a chance at experiencing that content while being able to increase their rank on the high scores. This would also allow newer players to be able to get 100% completion of all the jobs and achievements in the game. Option two would be to remove the Pet Trainer job from all players entirely. Now I am not advocating for option two. I do not think that it would be fair to take something away from players that they have already worked for but it is equally not fair to not allow newer players to complete the same content and thus be held at a lower standard than those who were able to max that job.

As a newer player myself I have to contend with the fact that I:

(1. Have less levels across all jobs on my character profile page.
    (2. Have less maximum stars on the high scores.
    (3. Have less maximum completed achievements and therefor less achievement points.

All of which make me feel as if the game is trying to insinuate that I am somehow inferior to another player just because I was not around for the Pet Trainer job. For a game that takes such a strong stance against bullying how do you justify the fact that the game's own high score system is a bully in a sense against newer players by making them feel insignificant and mediocre when compared to older players not because of merit, not because those players deserve to be held on a plateau or pedestal above everyone else, but simply because us newer players simply do not have the means to obtain the same glory. I am a Free Realms player but I am a human being first and we are all created equal so allow us to have equal opportunity to level the Pet Trainer job and end this entitled monopoly. In conclusion, either we all get to have Pet Trainer or none of us do otherwise you are justifying inequality.

Credit goes to Zyonmkxq, the original thread can be found here:https://forums.station.sony.com/free...changes.39469/

The Flaming Trident is offline Master Gamer

I like the ideas. I said this in my suggestions thread I made a while back, but the chef actions need more variety. It seems like it's only chopping/slicing, frying/boiling, adding ingredients, smashing, and then there's swirling(?) the icecream for those sundae recipes. Making it similar to Cooking-Mama or whatever cooking game out there would make each recipe seem more "authentic" rather than just going through the motions.

I also suggested this in the same suggestion thread, but they need some weight-detector and a catching minigame because the amount of effort you (as the gamer, not the avatar) put into catching a giant fish is the same amount as catching a smaller fish.
    Last edited by The Flaming Trident; 11-28-2013 at 08:21 PM.
    Egg Zachly likes this.
    "This forum is now closed and read-only" - No one ever

ashfr is offline Master Gamer

Just looking at something real quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Zachly View Post

Card Duelist

Currently the only way to level up the Card Duelist job is by doing quests. There are Card Duelist mini games offered in the game guide but they only serve as practice matches that do not reward any stars. With that latest news from SOE that they will be raising the level cap for jobs
    Can you give me a source for this? Not doubting your information, but I'm interested in hearing what they said word for word. I support this if they do raise the level cap, but right now I see no need.

Even then, all five quest line should be enough for a wealthy amount of levels. Especially since you can get to twenty with one quest line.
    So my idea is to rework the current Card Duelist job to not only allow players to obtain stars from battling npcs without the necessity of quests but also to allow players to obtain cards as possible rewards from defeating these npcs.
    I'll support this if the cards are just common cards that can be easily obtained or special unique promotional cards, like the one's you obtain from beating Sam Potts trick deck and the like.
    Let me explain. We can take for example the Sam Potts npc in Sanctuary. Sam Potts has 4 available decks for you to challenge they are as followed: Trick deck, Creature deck, Resource deck, and Tournament deck. Each deck scales with difficulty as encountered in the Card Duelist quest line. As you unlock new challenges from npcs you would be able to rebattle them after completing their quest to obtain stars and possible card rewards from that npc's deck. For example, let's say every time you defeat Sam Pott's Trick deck you are rewarded with 50 stars and a spin at a wheel for a chance to obtain other cards that are contained in Sam Pott's Trick deck and every time you defeat Sam Pott's Creature deck you are rewarded with 100 stars and a spin at a wheel for a chance to obtain other cards that are contained in Sam Pott's Creature deck.
    A select few cards, not to take you completely literal, but they're are too many unique cards in Sam Pott's deck and they can't all be obtained from spinning one wheel. And I also see that as taking away the value of cards I actually brought, which is why I want them to, again, be common cards or unique promo cards. Especially since some NPC decks contain rare cards, few even exclusive cards, I believe.

Unless they re-color them?
    That was a joke referencing the Lost Treasures event, please don't take me literal.

Ouch. Looks like that should have been rephrased to "With that latest news from SOE that they might be raising the level cap for jobs." It would be hard to source that, it was an unconfirmed rumor several months ago. I believe within context, there was a thread talking about possible future changes to combat and raising the level cap for jobs was mentioned by one SOE mod as something they would like to see. It was not specifically stated as something that was planned.

Ragu is offline Pro Gamer

There were whispers of a Fashion Designer job when Free Realms was being developed that I don't believe made it past Beta, and I am not sure if it even made it to Alpha, that I believe would have functioned very similarly to how you described your idea of a Tailor job. I do still have hopes for the Druid job that was introduced alongside the Dwarf race and Sunstone Valley at Fan Faire 2009, even though we've only seen Sunstone Valley come three years after that and haven't heard much about Dwarf or Druid being brought into the game since the months following Fan Faire 2009. I always imagined Druid as a combat job that wears cloth armor much like the Wizard, but is a ranged healer, similar to how druids in other games made by SOE generally are (only the Druids in EverQuest II and Vanguard wear leather armor, unlike the ones in Sacred Grove that wear cloth).
    Last edited by Ragu; 11-30-2013 at 09:17 PM.
    Zalesana and Egg Zachly like this.

I still have to post Zyon's other 3 threads, the next one is on combat jobs and there is something along the lines of a druid job mentioned in there.