Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Rain Wolfheart is offline Master Gamer

Icon7 Guide: How to look good on a budget

So you're trying to find that perfect outfit, earn money and save money, all at the same time? Here is my guide on looking good on a budget.

For members:
    Obviously, members have more liberty with clothing than non-members. This is a big plus, and I'll show you how to maximize your options. So first, you need to assess what you have. Choose a very basic outfit to start with. Then, think how you could improve it. Would a pair of gloves go well with it? Would high-tops look better? Should your hat be a different color? Once you have your goals for this specific outfit, it's time to achieve them.
    Ask around and see what quests, minigames and chests award the clothes you're looking for. If you still can't find the perfect clothes, see if anyone is selling them, either in-game or right here on FRI. Still can't find them? Ask if anyone is selling the clothes you want and make a reasonable offer. You could also try TCG. VRs are all the rage now, and the clothes there can really improve your outfit. But once you know what clothes you want, you will have to earn or purchase them.
    Earning is simple if you are good at the minigame. If not, practice makes perfect! Usually you can get the item one in five games. And some mingames don't even need finishing! Just finish the main goal and exit, and you can spin the wheel. For chests, you will need to find the keys. There is a great guide somewhere on FRI that tells you the most frequent key spots. Monkies made another that explains all about chests. You can also complete rare and elite exploration collections for cool clothes. However, you may need to purchase certain items, either from other members or the coin shop. You can also use Station Cash, but if you're on a budget you probably won't have that.
    A good thing you can do is trade your extra and unworn clothes for others, or sell them for coins. Rare clothing gives good coins, and if you have a lot you might consider opening a shop. Those minigames you played to earn those clothes will also give out coins. Trying to level up a combat job? A good way to earn coins is to do Croaking Vale during your power-hour, with possibly a Coin Booster Scroll and a Coin Flow Weapon. Those make it even faster to earn coins. You can also use a Star Booster Scroll to level up faster. Once you've collected enough coins and bought your clothes, you can start mixing and matching your new clothes with old.
    I think that you can never go wrong with a cool pair of gloves, a t-shirt, shorts or jeans and fold over high-tops. Hand items also make your outfit cooler. Sparklers and candles are especially popular, and look very cool with flair shards. Found the perfect outfit? Take a picture of it to show it off! Look below for some of my favorite combos.

For non-members:
    Looking good is harder for non-members, but achievable. You might encounter many problems, some that might be impossible to solve. Your first step is to do your research.
    Figure out what you want and see if it's available for non-members. If the hat you wanted is member's only, see if you can get a similar one for everyone. To help you along, have your dream outfit in mind and work at that. The member's section offers many tips on earning coins and the clothes you want, but what if you need to buy the clothes from another member?
    Assuming you've earned the coins, make sure the item is available for you and that it is really what you want. Earning coins is harder for non-members, and the worst thing that can happen is buying something you didn't really want for a lot of coins. One other problem is that quests won't give you clothes and that one of the chests won't be available since only a quest gives you the key.
    I really can't say more, sadly, since my non-member days were a long while ago. If anyone can give more tips, they would be greatly appreciated!

Here are some of my favorite outfits, all gained with no station cash! (Some items may be from the vault, but I'm not exactly sure which.)
    1. Memorial Caverns chest outfit with Sugar Zinger and Glowing Pink flair shard. My memorial caverns outfit.
    2. Shrouded Glade birthday t-shirt, garden defense hat, pants (I sometimes use a green layered skirt instead), gloves and shoes, Shrouded Glade Elite Exploration backpack. This is my Shrouded Glade outfit.
    3. No Love T-Shirt, gray Layered Skirt (for guys, you could wear gray long pants), Briarwood Defense gloves and backpack, heart sunglasses, defender staff with Glowing Pink/Purple flair shard and black/navy/gray striped shoes. This is my 'no dating' outfit.
    4. Wugachug birthday t-shirt, red baseball cap, Wugachug Elite Exploration backpack, brown high-tops and pet trainer pants (you can also use any other brown pants if you don't have these). This is my Wugachug outfit.
    5. My all-time favorite... My pink outfit! This one consists of Garden Defender gloves, pink Cardigan Sweater, pink Stitched Capris, pink Orange-Strapped Flip-Flops, and Sunrise makeup. I would not suggest this one for guys.

If you'd like to contribute any outfit suggestions, or advice, or just discuss the tips listed here, please post!
    Last edited by Rain Wolfheart; 08-21-2010 at 11:35 PM.
    Allons-y.

Nyx Nighthaven is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Guide: How to look good on a budget

Very helpful guide, thank you Rain. Out of curiosity, where do the pink orange-strapped flip-flops come from? I seem to have all the other ones, but not the pink. Thanks again : )

TheFlyingTurtle is offline Master Gamer

Great guide Rain! But could you seperate the First guide into paragraphs... Together it's one huge mess. o.o
    IGN: James Bigpeach

Heoxinh is offline Explorer

This guide could be best with nicer format lol. Btw, ty
    Duc
    <Insiders>
    When you see my forum status is ONLINE, found me on server 7

Rain Wolfheart is offline Master Gamer

Mmm, I always forget about that. Sorry! I'll change it as soon as possible!
    I actually forget where I got the flip-flops. They might have been from the vault...
    Allons-y.

Ciana Winterblossom is offline Master Gamer

Great guide Rain!

Sayonara Free Realms.
    I can be found on DC Universe Online. IGN - Suya
    I can also be found here.

LIAMredlake is offline Amateur Gamer

awesome guide!!!

dillila199935 is offline Explorer

This would be really helpful to new people! Thanks Rain! My new days were a while ago, but i can remember how frustrated i would get standing on the beach for hours trying to buy the shirt i want

Elise is offline Explorer

I think as long as non-members have some of the locked chests, they're good!!

This is good