Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brett Firemumbles

Title: TCG Help

Lollipop is offline Master Gamer

Default TCG Help

I've never been great at TCG, but I've always been okay. But lately, all the old players with the nearly invincible decks have shown up and I'm getting beaten up in the tournaments. It's really frustrating and now I'm looking for help. I always use an Order deck, and I have a total of 41 cards in the deck. Let me know any tips that you think would be helpful and if there's something I should be doing that I'm not, please let me know. I'm tired of losing all the time.

"There's some good in this world... and it's worth fighting for." -Samwise Gamgee

Brett Firemumbles is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: TCG Help

Why 41? Why not 40 or 42? An odd number usually gives me bad luck. Just kidding... (:

Anyway, it seems playing in the tourneys could be unfair. Most of the "old" players' "nearly invincible decks" include cards that are exclusive cards (RTS, Scary Chest Thump, etc.); and promo cards (Dragon Talon, Roundhouse Kick, Shadow Ambush, etc.) obtained from winning previous tourneys and/or completing the card duelist quest lines. It seems the strong players always get stronger, since they get the tourneys' rewards most of the time. Current tourney rewards have not changed for the past several months. I might say it is frustrating not getting your promo card rewards. However, I would not say it is frustrating not getting a badge. A badge nowadays means nothing. Some players could get a badge playing early in the morning (4 AM EST) or late at night (12 AM EST), where only 2-3 players are in the tourney, ROFL.

My advice is play a lot in the tourneys for FUN. Learn from the #seasoned players playing their combo of tricks. Get a notebook and pen, and write notes what cards they play in game and even peek at their discarded cards. Most players have their own favorite deck. While waiting to be paired with another opponent in the tourney, you will have an idea what deck to use against your opponent. You mentioned you usually use an Order deck; but an Order deck can have different strategies, like stunning, drawing, chasing, etc. I recommend you read a great article by Archer Cherubgrin about the different decks; I saw the article in the old MM site, not sure if it is available in the FRM site.

Edit: http://mysticmayhembetazone.freemessageboards.com/thread/240/tips-tcg-deck-types?page=1&scrollTo=1865

For example, you have noticed that a player uses Apprentice Mages in his deck. The description of the card is "when an opponent's creature is about to be stunned, you may zap me. If you do, destroy that creature instead." Likely, his other cards include Scary Chest Thump, Sloppy Wet Kiss, High Voltage Shock Pad, etc. that stun. To counter this deck, what cards should you include in your deck? Cards that ready stunned creatures, like Energy Vortex, Repair Shop, etc. might not work. Perhaps, using cards that will ready a creature that is about to be stunned might work, like Move Out; or use a card like Target Vitals so that your opponent loses 4 stars and won't be able to play a trick...

I have lost many times playing TCG in the tourneys. I continue to tweak my decks and think what cards do I need to make my decks work. I play with the NPCs like Jammie Swiftsong, Maple Sugarleaf, etc. I occasionally watch seasoned players play each other in the "Casual Games Lobby" as long as they haven't activated "Friends Only." I play with Kai and tweak my cards in the "Deck Builder" in the TCG lobby.

Good Luck! Again, don't forget that playing TCG is FUN and a great way to waste time...
    Last edited by Brett Firemumbles; 11-02-2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Addendum in yellow
    ashfr likes this.
    IGN: Brett Firemumbles - Any server will do... Just port!
    Follow your folly. Mine is playing "Free
    Pay Realms." - Anonymous (:

Jerry Steelchampion1 is offline Amateur Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Firemumbles View Post
    a notebook and pen, and write notes what cards they play in game and even peek at their discarded cards.
    This is probably the only thing that makes me mad in tcg. make a new good deck bam 3 people have the same thing as you. -_-

But anyways Lollipop,i could probably help you make a tcg order deck (i've helped others in the past) and its probably going to be easier since you use order and i use order (unless you want another sphere) however i am on vacation and wont be back till the 7th so if you need the help just shoot me a PM then we'll work it out when i get back

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Steelchampion1 View Post
    This is probably the only thing that makes me mad in tcg. make a new good deck bam 3 people have the same thing as you. -_-
    IMHO, when a student trying to learn something goes to school, it would be wise to bring a notebook and take notes. Sometimes, reading the descriptions in the cards doesn't make sense, until you see those cards being played in game, when the opponent uses a combo of tricks/resources, then you realize "Aha!... so that's how it works." After playing a game(s), you could review your notes asking yourself how did your opponent win the game; how should I tweak my deck when I play him/her next time; etc. Basically, the purpose of the notebook/pen, is not to rely too much on memory, especially if it's faulty, lol; but to facilitate your TCG learning. Using a notebook/pen is optional. I don't condone "copying" somebody's deck, because it is frowned upon for not being original/creative... So what? Somebody could "invent" a nearly invincible deck, but somebody could make it better by being innovative; or after playing the same invincible deck for days, it doesn't win as much as before, because somebody could counter it. My decks are dynamic, because they change/mutate over time; I have different versions of them; you have to go with the times, ROFL. Look at Japan and China, they copied some of US technology, but they made it much better... Toyota, Samsung, Honda, Sharp, etc. Anyway, who cares, there is no "patent" in creating a deck in FR... ROFL.

TheWonder is offline Amateur Gamer

Why 41? Why not 40 or 42? An odd number usually gives me bad luck. Just kidding... (:

Anyway, it seems playing in the tourneys could be unfair. Most of the "old" players' "nearly invincible decks" include cards that are exclusive cards (RTS, Scary Chest Thump, etc.); and promo cards (Dragon Talon, Roundhouse Kick, Shadow Ambush, etc.) obtained from winning previous tourneys and/or completing the card duelist quest lines. It seems the strong players always get stronger, since they get the tourneys' rewards most of the time. Current tourney rewards have not changed for the past several months. I might say it is frustrating not getting your promo card rewards. However, I would not say it is frustrating not getting a badge. A badge nowadays means nothing. Some players could get a badge playing early in the morning (4 AM EST) or late at night (12 AM EST), where only 2-3 players are in the tourney, ROFL.

My advice is play a lot in the tourneys for FUN. Learn from the #seasoned players playing their combo of tricks. Get a notebook and pen, and write notes what cards they play in game and even peek at their discarded cards. Most players have their own favorite deck. While waiting to be paired with another opponent in the tourney, you will have an idea what deck to use against your opponent. You mentioned you usually use an Order deck; but an Order deck can have different strategies, like stunning, drawing, chasing, etc. I recommend you read a great article by Archer Cherubgrin about the different decks; I saw the article in the old MM site, not sure if it is available in the FRM site.

For example, you have noticed that a player uses Apprentice Mages in his deck. The description of the card is "when an opponent's creature is about to be stunned, you may zap me. If you do, destroy that creature instead." Likely, his other cards include Scary Chest Thump, Sloppy Wet Kiss, High Voltage Shock Pad, etc. that stun. To counter this deck, what cards should you include in your deck? Cards that ready stunned creatures, like Energy Vortex, Repair Shop, etc. might not work. Perhaps, using cards that will ready a creature that is about to be stunned might work, like Move Out; or use a card like Target Vitals so that your opponent loses 4 stars and won't be able to play a trick...

I have lost many times playing TCG in the tourneys. I continue to tweak my decks and think what cards do I need to make my decks work. I play with the NPCs like Jammie Swiftsong, Maple Sugarleaf, etc. I occasionally watch seasoned players play each other in the "Casual Games Lobby" as long as they haven't activated "Friends Only." I play with Kai and tweak my cards in the "Deck Builder" in the TCG lobby.

Good Luck! Again, don't forget that playing TCG is FUN and a great way to waste time...
    Brett the king of TCG.

Lol

- V -

Lollipop is offline Master Gamer

Hm, these are some good ideas. I think I'll try that notebook idea next time and see what happens.

"There's some good in this world... and it's worth fighting for." -Samwise Gamgee

Jerry Steelchampion1 is offline Amateur Gamer

IMHO, when a student trying to learn something goes to school, it would be wise to bring a notebook and take notes. Sometimes, reading the descriptions in the cards doesn't make sense, until you see those cards being played in game, when the opponent uses a combo of tricks/resources, then you realize "Aha!... so that's how it works." After playing a game(s), you could review your notes asking yourself how did your opponent win the game; how should I tweak my deck when I play him/her next time; etc. Basically, the purpose of the notebook/pen, is not to rely too much on memory, especially if it's faulty, lol; but to facilitate your TCG learning. Using a notebook/pen is optional. I don't condone "copying" somebody's deck, because it is frowned upon for not being original/creative... So what? Somebody could "invent" a nearly invincible deck, but somebody could make it better by being innovative; or after playing the same invincible deck for days, it doesn't win as much as before, because somebody could counter it. My decks are dynamic, because they change/mutate over time; I have different versions of them; you have to go with the times, ROFL. Look at Japan and China, they copied some of US technology, but they made it much better... Toyota, Samsung, Honda, Sharp, etc. Anyway, who cares, there is no "patent" in creating a deck in FR... ROFL.
    Well I guess I could still use that to my advantage even though I am pretty good (not trying to brag sorry) but I guess I could use the notes to improve my deck and once I have different ways of tweaking it I could go back and forth etc. Lol thanks Brett XD

Yoshinator is offline Master Gamer

"This boy typed an incredibly long post about the TCG feature of an online game named *Free Realms*. In other news, the cure for cancer is unsolved." seewutididthur >:3

1st Generation Free Realmer
    3rd Generation Insider

Quote Originally Posted by TheWonder View Post
    Brett the king of TCG. Lol
    I don't belong to TCG royalty and I don't deserve that title. I am just a lowly court jester... (: There are lots of excellent seasoned players in game, deserving the TCG royalty title, including John "Mr. President" Valenzuela, The Azureshields, Brost, Lucia Strangedream, Miss Arty, Sam, J. Lizardgate, Alix Azurecloud, etc. to name a few. I advise to play with them; they are great mentors, not to mention most of them are guild members of the Elite Cardie Crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Lollipop View Post
    Hm, these are some good ideas. I think I'll try that notebook idea next time and see what happens.
    Using the notebook when learning TCG is a crutch at the start. As you get better, you don't need it. It seems losing most of the time in tourney is frustrating. However, the more you play/practice TCG, you get better, just like any sport... (:

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Steelchampion1 View Post
    Well I guess I could still use that to my advantage even though I am pretty good (not trying to brag sorry) but I guess I could use the notes to improve my deck and once I have different ways of tweaking it I could go back and forth etc. Lol thanks Brett XD
    The notebook is helpful. When you perform "experiments" tweaking your cards, you jot down your observations, like which cards work, or does the deck give an overall good draw, etc. You analyze the results and make a conclusion... You're welcome, Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshinator View Post
    "This boy typed an incredibly long post about the TCG feature of an online game named *Free Realms*. In other news, the cure for cancer is unsolved." seewutididthur >:3
    Non sequitur! (: Yes, the cure for cancer is a mystery, but I believe in miracles. Using a good deck and still getting bad draws is also a mystery. ROFL.