Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ashley Preciousfable is offline Master Gamer

Default a thread about Bumping: What is and isn't allowed

Hi Everyone,

One thing that we have noticed going on a lot here is bumping. For those of you who are not familiar with this term, it is when you make a post to Bring Up My Post (BUMP) to the top of the forum. This doesn't always have to say "BUMP" either, it can be posting replies such as "Anyone else?" "Thanks, anyone else want to post?" and things like that--what you are trying to do is attract attention to your thread.

Now...here is the rules about bumping on FRI. You may only do it within the Free Market, and only on your own thread. You can't go and bump your friends threads. Although you may have the best intentions for bumping your friends thread, there is a lot of people who don't do it for the right reasons. One of those wrong reasons is to get more posts by bumping.

You may not bump anywhere else but the Free Market. If you do, that post may be removed by the staff. We want the forums to have a good welcoming vibe, and not just be full of bumping. Think about it this way -- what is more fun, a thread full of bumping? Or a thread that talks about pets and what you named them?

I would choose the second option.

Feel free to post here if you have any questions. I'd be happy to answer them for you, and I'm sure other staff members would be happy to do so as well.

Thomas Edison's last words were 'It's very beautiful over there'.
    I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful.

gigatomboy is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: a thread about Bumping: What is and isn't allowed

Thanks for posting this, Ashley. Good to know.

So no bumping except in the Free Market, and only by the owner of the thread. Sounds good!

One Question- Is there any limit to bumping your own thread? What I mean is, could I bump my own Free Market thread 10+ times and would that be acceptable?

You won't find me on FreeRealms anymore. If you want to meet me in Mabinogi, my IGN is Svanett & I'm on server Alexina.

Grim Soulreaper is offline Master Gamer

If you find a really old thread that you comment on and your comment bumps the thread up due to your comment... Is that bumping ?.. Or should one just not post on really old threads so as not to end up bumping them without the intention of doing that ?
    Playing DCUO now

Quote Originally Posted by gigatomboy View Post
    Thanks for posting this, Ashley. Good to know.

So no bumping except in the Free Market, and only by the owner of the thread. Sounds good!

One Question- Is there any limit to bumping your own thread? What I mean is, could I bump my own Free Market thread 10+ times and would that be acceptable?
    Yes. That is fine, just don't do it every 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Soulreaper View Post
    If you find a really old thread that you comment on and your comment bumps the thread up due to your comment... Is that bumping ?.. Or should one just not post on really old threads so as not to end up bumping them without the intention of doing that ?
    That is a different issue. That is what experienced forum users will know as "necro". It is when you bring up a thread that has lived past it's time, and is no longer getting replies because no one has anything to add. If you have something to add to it - you may also want to consider making a new thread to discuss it (or your point) again.

It also depends on the section. In the Free Market for example, there is no need to post on old threads.

I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful.

Horazon is offline Master Gamer

BUMPs were getting ridiculous..

Grim Soulreaper is offline Master Gamer

Ahh... Thank you Ashley ! I learned a new thing too XD
    Playing DCUO now

kiperrr is offline Master Gamer

a very good guide! though it may take getting used to, not bumping other people's threads, it does seem fair. on my auctions sometimes i am hoping for another bid and it just a bump lol

Kiperrrful (AKA Kiperrr, Kippy, Kipster, Kip)
    IGN: Kiperrrful Server 4

Rain Wolfheart is offline Master Gamer

This is a good idea. Sometimes, when all a person posts it 'Bump!' on a thread, it bothers me. I get that they want people to see it, but really, you're not doing anything to help. If there was a whole page of just people bumping the thread... What's the point?
    I has a question! What about this game I once saw in the gaming section? It was something like 'The Bump Game' (it could have been on WI, though...) Are games like that, where the whole point is to bump the thread, allowed?
    Allons-y.

If it is just in the gaming section, yes. Games like that are OK.

Maggie Flamingfox is offline Amateur Gamer

i didnt even know what bumping was until i read this! lolz thanks ashley! xD
    Half and Dark:Rosalie, Roger, Dovekit, Hopepaw, and Faith
    New World: Faith

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast