Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Default Reputation, What's It For?

O.k. I know I should give reputation to people who are helpful, but I was wondering how does it help them? I get idea, but since I don't know for sure I would rather ask than guess:
    "So, What exactly is reputation?''

Also I read the post about bumping & necro posting and was wondering about giving reputation on those. Even if the post is old, it is still new to me, so rather than posting should I give out reputation instead? I don't think I want to go slapping it around everywhere but I do want to give credit where credit is due. Someone, at some point, took the time to make a guide or a post, that helped me or affected me in a positive way. Isn't giving Rep. like a personal "Thank You!" to let them know that time they gave is appreciated?

Kelvin64 is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Reputation, What's It For?

Yes. You give a user reputation if they had a kind, helpful, or somewhat other useful post that did you good. Weather the post helped you solve a problem or just gave you a laugh. Receiving reputation adds to your reputation points. Every hundred reputation or so, (you'll have to look in the Helps and FAQs to be sure) you'll get an additional reputation bar. (The small green box underneath your username, stats and post stars.) If you receive a lot of reputation you will get more and more bars. This will show people that you are a very helpful user. You don't see a lot of people here with many reputation bars, because the feature is often overlooked on this forum. But if you go to Webkinz Insider - Webkinz Cheats, Recipes, Free Codes , you'll be able to find a lot of people with many reputation bars.
    Hope I helped!

Layla Littlenymph is offline Master Gamer

That's a great question my friend, and Kelvin's comments were spot on as well.
    Reputation is in part a reward system, but in truth it's value is worth slightly more than the little gold star sticker your grade school teacher used to post on your paper.

The benefit of reputation (in my opinion) is of greater use to other members than it is to the person it is awarded to. If you compare peoples reputation to their post counts you will notice that some members have a rather high rep when compared to their post counts while others have a low rep despite having posted thousands of times. A high rep tells you that this is a person your fellow members enjoy hearing from as opposed to those that post often yet say little of value. After you have been here a while you will begin to learn which members posts and threads are most worthy of your time and attention.

As for giving rep to old threads, I see nothing wrong with that. A great thread or post is worthy of getting credit if you find it be be of value and/or above average in some other respect. This is especially true of threads in the guides section.
    Layla Littlenymph <Mystic Mayhem>, Lolita Litlenymph <Nymphs of Mania>, Wednesday Addamsfamily <Insiders>

Toxic Seth is offline Master Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Layla Littlenymph View Post
    That's a great question my friend, and Kelvin's comments were spot on as well.
    Reputation is in part a reward system, but in truth it's value is worth slightly more than the little gold star sticker your grade school teacher used to post on your paper.

The benefit of reputation (in my opinion) is of greater use to other members than it is to the person it is awarded to. If you compare peoples reputation to their post counts you will notice that some members have a rather high rep when compared to their post counts while others have a low rep despite having posted thousands of times. A high rep tells you that this is a person your fellow members enjoy hearing from as opposed to those that post often yet say little of value. After you have been here a while you will begin to learn which members posts and threads are most worthy of your time and attention.

As for giving rep to old threads, I see nothing wrong with that. A great thread or post is worthy of getting credit if you find it be be of value and/or above average in some other respect. This is especially true of threads in the guides section.
    What she said! xD

"Always Be Yourself, Because The people Who Mind Don't Matter and The People Who Matter Don't Mind."
    Dr. Seuss.