Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sylvester is offline Master Gamer

Icon13 Bumping Up Old Threads

Hey everyone!

I would like to suggest a new rule, if I may...

Recently, I've noticed that old (and probably resolved) threads are being consistently pushed up by someone posting on them.

This seems to have the following results :
    1. It pushes newer threads towards the bottom.
    These threads have been posted recently and may not get the attention they deserve.
    2. It replaces the games section and chat thread.
    These are fun threads, where you can build up a post count. Just don't double post - people usually reply quickly. Once they're done, you can post again.
    3. It places the thread in "Latest Posts".
    Other people may and usually do click on the title and post on the thread, not realizing that the thread is old and does not require their comment.
    4. It encourages people to spam on the forums.
    People who bump up these posts may also decide to fill the forums with spam.
    5. It is annoying.
    This should be self-explanatory. :]

(I am willing to add other "results" here. Post in this thread if you think up any new ones.)

Questions:
    What do you think about this matter?
    How old does a thread have to be, in order to be classified as an "old thread"?
    Is it alright if the owner of the old thread bumps it back up (e.g.: restarting a market thread)?

Even if this doesn't become a rule, please try to follow it as a basic courtesy towards others.
    Last edited by Sylvester; 12-06-2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Removed "Hottest Threads" from #3

EatMonkies is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Bumping Up Old Threads

Certain areas of the forum do contain this rule (and this is an all round rule if you flagged the thread, a staff member will get to it eventually.)

Double posting will make Automerging take place (Automatically both posts will become one) and will not bump the thread up, unless the designate time has been reached and you can "double post" (takes some time though, a day or two, so it should not be that much of an issue)

Hottest threads only last three days, and should not be that much of an issue?

Necromancy on resolved topic (unless it is a question that applies) is not good for me.

Old = The horse was rode for as long as it could carry the topic, or the thread has been quiet for a week+

MArket threads and etc = If it is a flagable thread and you did flag it, a staff member will get to it, Bumps are REALLY unnecessary, until about maybe a month after... Other stuff goes with the month for me as well

IMO...

(Link to deviantArt)

じゃ~、またね。

RandomPlayer is offline Master Gamer

The Hottest Threads part only applies to threads created within three days of the statistics, so old threads wouldn't make it up there.
    I basically agree with everything Monkies said.

Renzo44 is offline Master Gamer

Great idea! I hate it when people "bump" old threads and it makes me think they're new
    Renzo44
    Server One
    I HAVE QUIT!

Seth Ninjax is offline Master Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvester View Post
    3.It places the thread in "Latest Posts"/"Hottest Threads".
    Other people may and usually do click on the title and post on the thread, not realizing that the thread is old and does not require their comment.
    Yes you need to please check the date in the corner of the thread!
    Here is one from today:

Here is one from yesterday:

Here is one from a long time ago:
    <Insiders>
    All Servers

Level 20 All Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by EatMonkies View Post
    Certain areas of the forum do contain this rule (and this is an all round rule if you flagged the thread, a staff member will get to it eventually.)

Double posting will make Automerging take place (Automatically both posts will become one) and will not bump the thread up, unless the designate time has been reached and you can "double post" (takes some time though, a day or two, so it should not be that much of an issue)

Hottest threads only last three days, and should not be that much of an issue?

Necromancy on resolved topic (unless it is a question that applies) is not good for me.

Old = The horse was rode for as long as it could carry the topic, or the thread has been quiet for a week+

MArket threads and etc = If it is a flagable thread and you did flag it, a staff member will get to it, Bumps are REALLY unnecessary, until about maybe a month after... Other stuff goes with the month for me as well

IMO...
    Hey Monkies! Thank you for your input.

There's a few things that I would like to ask/mention:
    1. Which areas of the forum contain this rule?
    2. I've seen an automerged post (or two) and am not concerned about that matter in regards to bumping up old threads.
    3. A lot of posts can be made in these threads... especially if people don't notice that the thread is old.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomPlayer View Post
    The Hottest Threads part only applies to threads created within three days of the statistics, so old threads wouldn't make it up there.
    I basically agree with everything Monkies said.
    (Thanks for clarifying, RP. I'll edit my first post.)

4. I'm not asking for "Necromancy" on a resolved topic. I'm asking for a rule stating that FRI members should not bump up really old threads.
    5. I agree with you on how old is old and market threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzo44 View Post
    Great idea! I hate it when people "bump" old threads and it makes me think they're new
    Thanks Renzo44!

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Ninjax View Post
    Yes you need to please check the date in the corner of the thread!
    Here is one from today:

Here is one from yesterday:

Here is one from a long time ago:
    Go read the 3rd "result" on my first post, smarty-pants.

Possible suggestion: A thread that is not posted on or edited for 30 days will automatically close with the exception of Somebody Help threads, which will only be closed after the creator has become inactive (60 days).
    Status: Quit FR since I never liked FR at all. Will probably not post anymore.

Seth Ninjax is offline Master Gamer

Go read the 3rd "result" on my first post, smarty-pants.
    Lol I just wanted to make it a little clearer!
    <Insiders>
    All Servers

Level 20 All Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by RandomPlayer View Post
    Possible suggestion: A thread that is not posted on or edited for 30 days will automatically close with the exception of Somebody Help threads, which will only be closed after the creator has become inactive (60 days).
    Perhaps the 30 day time limit would be best?
    I created this rule suggestion because some members were posting random comments on other members' threads (I believe that there were threads pushed up because of this occuring quite often in the Somebody Help section). These threads were then posted on by a bunch of other people who hadn't realised that the thread was old.

Perhaps the 30 day time limit would be best?
    I created this rule suggestion because some members were posting random comments on other members' threads (I believe that there were threads pushed up because of this occuring quite often in the Somebody Help section). These threads were then posted on by a bunch of other people who hadn't realised that the thread was old.
    Yes, that's true. Some after-posts were to answer any past questions, though. Personally, I would not find this as difficult to look past if the threads in question were unresolved; however, they often are.
    The time limit for the Somebody Help threads was intended because some members create accounts here simply to ask the single question and may return after a period of time to seek the answer. To keep the thread open is to be sure that no more questions arise from the questioner.
    Status: Quit FR since I never liked FR at all. Will probably not post anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast