Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Zimster
  • 2 Post By Ashley Preciousfable
  • 1 Post By Layla Littlenymph

Title: Auto-locked threads?

Enct is offline Amateur Gamer

Default Auto-locked threads?

I dunno when it happened, but my suggestion is to not have threads autolock anymore. A lot of sections are super inactive. You end up with a majority of a forum section locked... sort of like this section.

PirateJack is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Auto-locked threads?

Well that is because we need are members to not stay in one area so it isn't the autlock its that members stay in like the free market or Off topic chat all the time and we really need to go to the other places in the forums and make threads! Post! Have fun! So that they won't be all locked but that hasn't happened yet.
    Done.

Zimster is offline Master Gamer

The reason why the staff here decided to use Auto-Lock is because on where we have many newcomers here on the site want to find something to post on very easily to get their post counts up, so this prevents that a bunch, and will lead to less arguments. On the fact that some forums are inactive, if the thread does go locked, just make a new one, not much happens in very many forums is what some do address, but you do have a perfect reason on why this setting should be abolished.

Maybe try telling Kade about that? He was the one who put it on here, I believe.
    DespicableDani likes this.
    "Don't cry because it's over: smile because it happened."

AangXD is offline Master Gamer

Locking the threads does not increase the activity at all. It just makes it easier so that mods don't have to lock every necro-ed thread. I personally think it should be taken away, if someone created a guide, he would want to update it, with this it he can't.

And also, it's not very nice for the general look of the forums. Imagine what a new member will think when he comes and the forums are 90% locked.

Ashley Preciousfable is offline Master Gamer

If someone wishes to update a thread, or guide, all they have to do is report the thread (using the hazard symbol) and make a request for it to be opened. We'll open threads again if it is requested.

The reason auto-lock was put in place is for old threads to stop being brought up. We had a lot of old information coming forward, and discussions started (and ended) years ago when the site first was established. If there is a topic you wish to discuss, you can also start your own thread... In fact, we encourage it!

Some sections are not active, but it does not mean they are not useful. We still want suggestions and questions about the rules here on FRI, but it doesn't mean that there will always be a high demand for this section. The General area, Free Market, and our open mike area tends to have a good population & activity each week.
    Tabi and BlueVelvet like this.

Thomas Edison's last words were 'It's very beautiful over there'.
    I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful.

Layla Littlenymph is offline Master Gamer

Is the time to lock based upon when the thread was generated, or upon last comment made?

How long is that time period?
    ashfr likes this.
    Layla Littlenymph <Mystic Mayhem>, Lolita Litlenymph <Nymphs of Mania>, Wednesday Addamsfamily <Insiders>

BlueVelvet is offline Amateur Gamer

I like the auto lock for what Ashley says regarding outdated information.
    And newcomers are having no problem creating their own threads to ask questions and work on getting their post count up.
    "Who are you people?!?~~Patrick Star

Ashley Preciousfable is offline Master Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Layla Littlenymph View Post
    Is the time to lock based upon when the thread was generated, or upon last comment made?

How long is that time period?
    I believe it is a month (that's just off the top of my head, I don't remember exactly how long), and it is from the last comment.

Thomas Edison's last words were 'It's very beautiful over there'.
    I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful.

KAnnamaria is offline Pro Gamer

So many people are being in one area and not on the other parts of the thread section. Some threads are really old and not many people post on them anymore anyway.
    It was fun playing with you guys! Ilysm!