Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

The Painbringer is offline Master Gamer

Default Tips for posting on any forum site

Having been around the web as much as I have, I have picked up some tricks and tips on posting on forum sites. I was going to keep them to my self, but I thought that I would be kind and let you in on the secrets of SUCCESSFUL POSTING.

Bumping

1. Bumping is great, but make that bump subtle. Instead of saying"BUMP" try actually adding to the conversation. Mods are less likely to shut down the thread, and it makes you look less dumb.

2. Timing is everything. When a thread(other than the one you plan on bumping) is hot, chances are people are just refreshing that thread over and over, and repeatedly posting. Bump when there are not very hot threads, or when the newer threads are not recieving a lot of responses. A great way to do this is when someone asks a question, wait to answer until the time is right. Sometimes that is when they are AFK, because that almost guarentees that someone will respond to you later in the day.

3. Don't over bump a thread. After you bump a thread 2-3 times, just let it die. When a thread has no more than five responses per bump, it means either

A. No one has a response
    B. No one cares

4. Be kind to others. If someone just posts a thread, give that person some time. They want their thread to be popular just as much as you do.

Posting a thread

1. Be specific but not too descriptive. You want people to respond to your thread, but you also don't want them not to understand what you are saying. For an example, say if you want to tell people about a game, you don't describe it right away, you simply say,"Anyone play that [genre of game] game [game title]?" and let people ask questions. You want a discussion, not a single post.

2. Grammar is king. If you want to make a thread, take the time to make it neat and orderly. Unless your intentions is to use bad grammar, that is.

3. Make a topic you can talk about. Making a thread about how you love the smell of bricks isn't really a good topic starter. Make it original. And don't try to make a post that you think will make people your friends, feel bad for you, etc. Because that falls under the catagory of"Attention Seeker" for lack of a better word.

4. Leave the thread alone for a bit. Don't respond to every post all at once. Answer a few, and let the people discuss. We have 1,734 active members, I am sure some of them will understand you and answer questions for you.

5. Do not set rules for your thread, unless it is a game. No one cares if you don't want to here the word "no". If it has to be said, it has to be said. And in the end, the only person who seems rude is you.

Posting in Threads

1. Make your post noticable. If no one responds to you, that is probably because you are stating the obvious, or just aren't posting uniquely.

2. Instead of answering a question as "Yes" or "No" try to spice things up. Make the person think that either you are a genius or a nut case.

3. Respect everyone in that thread. And by respect, I mean don't mean try to be the nicest person there. If the person says something out of context, tell them in a orderly matter. Not"OMG Y U SO MEAN!!1!oneone"

4. Think before you post. Think the 5 W's:

Who is reading my post?

If you are talking to a specific audience, like players of a certain game, musicians, etc. then don't try too hard to be the UBER MASTER, because if you try too hard you may come out as an idiot.

What could be the effects of my post?

Think about whether or not your post could offend someone or, once again, make you look like an idiot.

Where could I lead the discussion to?

Certain posts could cause a talk to die, so think if you want to be that guy who ruined that thread. That guy who looks like an idiot.

When should I post my thoughts?

Look at where the disscussion is currently. Don't post "I like chocolate" if, for the past 20 posts they were discussing whether chocolate strawberries are a fruit or a candy. Because you will look like an idiot.

Why am I posting what I am?

If you can't answer that, then you will look like an idiot if you post.

Best ways to treat members

1. When you first meet someone, introduce yourself and talk a bit. Just adding everyone you see as a friend ruins the point of a friend list.

2. If the person posting sounds like an idiot, cut them some slack. Text is sometimes hard to interpret. Now if the person always posts in a mean or ignorant way you have two options:

A. Confront them

While peer mediation sometimes works, in most cases it is against the rules HERE, so if you are using this guide for here, use B

B. Report one of their posts.

Mods have the ability to look at all and any post. They can also see any post before it was edited, and make the decision on whether or not to give you a referal or a ban.
    Last edited by The Painbringer; 07-23-2011 at 11:55 PM.
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes
    That way, your a mile away and you have their shoes

James Darkshadow is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Tips for posting on any forum site

Thanks Painbringer, now the people who read this will learn to post correctly, rather than

'Wanna join my guild everyone talks about which guild is the best and stuff but our guild is if you wanna join me i am (Insert Name here) and i am on free realms.'
    Join the Movement! Help Resurgence! We are a Group of Volunteers with a common goal, hosting activities for the community! Help us out! We'd love to have you.

The Painbringer is offline Master Gamer

I am bumping my thread in hopes that the new members read this, and the older ones too. Like the "Treat others the way you want to be treated" thread, we all need a refresher every once in awhile. I hope you take the time to read it.
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes
    That way, your a mile away and you have their shoes

James Darkshadow is offline Master Gamer

That's Odd.... I don't recall ever reading this before, Yet I have posted on this! :O

Of course, this was months ago. But... I want to bump this XD.

And... I'm disturbed by the fact I don't remember this at all.

And I want to attach this along with it: http://www.freerealmsinsider.com/for...rolling-36755/

What I find even more odd is, I didn't know the word Idiot was allowed on FRI....
    Last edited by James Darkshadow; 07-22-2011 at 09:59 PM.
    Join the Movement! Help Resurgence! We are a Group of Volunteers with a common goal, hosting activities for the community! Help us out! We'd love to have you.

IamPowerOfStars is offline Pro Gamer

Great tips! =)

Spoiler: show
    TASTE TEH RAINBOWWWWZ xD

TheEvanCat is offline Newbie Explorer

Long post short: Follow the forum rules.

Kanameh is offline Amateur Gamer

^ Is that suppose to help at all?...