Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Title: SOPA and PIPA

Rúbën is offline Banned

Default SOPA and PIPA

Hello,
    Now I know some people have already mentioned this but I felt like I needed to aswell.
    The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) is a law (bill) of the United States proposed in 2011 to fight online trafficking in copyrighted Intellectual Prpoerty and counterfit goods. So basicly the gorvernment would be able to block or censor any website they feel has pirated or copyrighted material in it. Sort like how the government controls the internet in China. Now if the law were to be passed sites like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Wikipedia, and even Free Realms Insider; may be in jepordy of being blocked. Also seach engines such as Google and Yahoo will have to remove blocked websites from their searches. So please help stop the bill because the U.S. is a DEMOCRACY. please go to http://www.google.com/takeaction and express your voice. Also tell all your friends and family to sign this pettition aswell.

***Feel free to post your opinions***
    Last edited by Rúbën; 01-19-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Layla Littlenymph is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: SOPA and PIPA

I have always been of the opinion that less is better when it comes to government. I believe that intellectual property needs to be protected, but I would do not believe giving government sweeping control of one of our last bastions of true free speech would be the best means by which to do so. The judicial system is where matters such as this should be resolved. I do not think I am on the same page as the OP, but I agree that this is bad legislation as it is currently written.

I don't mean to pick on the OP, but one of the problems people run into when combating issues of this nature is their mistaken belief that the U.S. is a democracy. Why do so many people seem to think this?

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the REPUBLIC for which it stands............"
    Layla Littlenymph <Mystic Mayhem>, Lolita Litlenymph <Nymphs of Mania>, Wednesday Addamsfamily <Insiders>

Benny Solarhammer is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: SOPA and PIPA

Quote Originally Posted by Rúbën View Post
    Hello,
    Now I know some people have already mentioned this but I felt like I needed to aswell.
    The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) is a law (bill) of the United States proposed in 2011 to fight online trafficking in copyrighted Intellectual Prpoerty and counterfit goods. So basicly the gorvernment would be able to block or censor any website they feel has pirated or copyrighted material in it. Sort like how the government controls the internet in China. Now if the law were to be passed sites like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Wikipedia, and even Free Realms Insider; may be in jepordy of being blocked. Also seach engines such as Google and Yahoo will have to remove blocked websites from their searches. So please help stop the bill because the U.S. is a DEMOCRACY. please go to http://www.google.com/takeaction and express your voice. Also tell all your friends and family to sign this pettition aswell.

***Feel free to post your opinions***
    Yes, this bill was quite a misconception and a failure. At first, it was for good intentions, but there were too many flaws and it just went pass the point of usefulness. I strongly hope this bill does not pass into law.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain