Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Ashley Preciousfable is offline Master Gamer

Default Pleased to meet you! || May 9th Chat Thread

Welcome kind ladies and honoured gentlemen. As your gracious host I am delighted to inform you about this weeks celebrations - it's national etiquette week!

That's right, this week is all about proper protocol and manners in all situations. Many of us will know the proper manners for eating dinner, visiting another person, how to address someone politely and many more ways to show off our good manners. Manners matter! It's a great way to get off on the right foot and meet new people.

Did you know there are also internet manners? It is called "Netiquette" and has been added onto for many years now.

for example, when you type in full caps (LIKE THIS) it's often considered yelling. Nobody wants to be yelled at all the time - which is why many people ask you not to do this!

It's also common practice to use smiles (like the ones found on our forum) to help convey your message properly. Writing can be very difficult to send our true meaning of what we are saying. You may say something that you meant as a compliment and the other person will take it the opposite way! By adding smiles you can hopefully avoid these situations.

Most importantly - you will find that a lot of the manners you know from real life applies here (and else where on the internet). Respecting someone by showing them kindness and speaking to them politely is a great thing to do. You may not always agree with someone but you can respect their opinions.

Always remember to treat someone the way you would like to be treated. This is the foundation of Etiquette and manners.

Thomas Edison's last words were 'It's very beautiful over there'.
    I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful.

Zoey704 is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Pleased to meet you! || May 9th Chat Thread

Momma has always taught us to treat others the way we want to be treated. Whenever I talk to friends and strangers in public, I hardly ever smile. So when we get in the car, mom always tells me to smile. Even when I'm going into different restaurants and grocery stores, she always reminds me to smile. (Did I just go off topic?)
    Signature credit goes to: Stephanie Stonyray (Thanks Stephanie)

Help us help make THIS Christmas Event a success!!

Grim Soulreaper is offline Master Gamer

Also I think manners can apply to cell phones... There's an etiquette for that which is largely neglected...
    Playing DCUO now

Earthdancer is offline Explorer

But sometimes ya just have to YELL to get peoples' attention, right? LOL

Jaclyn Goldenvale is offline Amateur Gamer

I WAS THINKING THE SAME AS GRIM. I'm sorry, was I yelling? Lack of phone etiquette bugs me most. Five years ago, people wouldn't dream of talking on the phone in a restaurant; now I'm surprised if half the people eating aren't on their phone. And when I meet you for the first time, don't text or Tweet while you're talking to me.... please!

For e-mails, my rules for myself are to read everything three times before you hit send to make sure the tone isn't nasty. And if I'm angry at someone, wait a day to send it until I've cooled off. I might decide that my response would be a bad idea.

This message has been read three times by Jac
    No one knows the realm like the key hunters

It bothers me most... Not in restaurants but in the public bathrooms.. I mean.. Why there of all places ??? Especially if I'm the one on the other end of the phone and who I'm talking to is the guilty party....
    Playing DCUO now

Pandamonaeus is offline Master Gamer

I do that lol and so does.. my husband. It never bothers me as long as whoever is doing it is skilled enough at multi-tasking to give me his/her full attention as if they weren't texting. If they can't, prepare to be smacked and your phone tossed in the toilet :S That's all I ask.

♫♪♫ ♫♪♫
    *PLEASE send me a message if you are selling me things, as I never remember to check back.*

picturefat is offline Explorer

Yes people need manners. But i mostly feel they need manners when they are talking to somebody face to face. But yes they need manners on the Internet and on the Phone.

Zoey704 is offline Master Gamer

I will text when I'm around someone, but I won't text when I'm talking to someone face-to-face unless its an emergency.
    Signature credit goes to: Stephanie Stonyray (Thanks Stephanie)

Help us help make THIS Christmas Event a success!!

Ahh... I think in the way everyone is in a hurry for everything etiquette has suffered quite a bit... Then there is also that people demand and expect so much these days that some feel as if they're owed everything... Manners aren't such a bad idea... but also in some places it's expected that you don't bring them with you... And in other places people use their manners just to be pretty mean in general...and that's a bit of a contradiction imho ... the Irony
    Playing DCUO now

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast