Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Ella Sparkleflower is offline Master Gamer

Default Is hyperventilating dangerous?

Yikes!
    Just now, when I was on my way to my bedroom, my little brother popped out behind me with a printed picture of a (will not say because it is terrifying). He screamed shrilly and i had a panic attack. My breath was almost 10-12x faster than normal and my heart rate skyrocketed. After 3 seconds of the rapid breathing, i felt a pain in my knees and i became lightheaded. My mother said that if i kept doing this often, my lungs wouldn't take it and they would collapse, but she didn't know particulary the effects of it.

I searched it on google and 'hyperventilation' came up. Since i did not understand a thing they said and if it could cause harm, i am asking you guys.
    Also, i did not put this in the 'Somebody Help!' section because it was not referrencing to FR.

First of all, is hyperventilation often dangerous? Can it cause injuries? Mental or Physical pain? Most important of all, can you die?

SEID IHR DAS ESSEN? NIEN, WIR SIND DIE JÄGER

RzlClearWatr is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Is hyperventilating dangerous?

Well first of all, extreme scares can give you Hepatitis. Hepatitis is a very serious, and contagious illness. You should ask your mom to take you to a doc to find out more and to see anything that may be wrong

Inua is offline Master Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by RzlClearWatr View Post
    Well first of all, extreme scares can give you Hepatitis. Hepatitis is a very serious, and contagious illness. You should ask your mom to take you to a doc to find out more and to see anything that may be wrong
    What that dude said. xD
    Each Event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event.

Aedc is offline Master Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by RzlClearWatr View Post
    First off, extreme scares CAN NOT cause Hepatitis. Hepatitis is the inflammation of the liver, so I have no idea how you came up with the link between scares and Hepatitis. Scares can cause hyperventilation.... big difference between the two. Also, hyperventilation is not contagious. It is usually caused by a panic attack, or like in this case, being extremely scared. Hyperventilation causes the blood to lose carbon dioxide, in short, this means that blood doesn't travel as well to the brain, so you lose oxygen. This is why you feel dizzy and what not. It can cause brain damage, although from a scare, the condition is not severe enough. It can be caused by mental illness, or can cause it after a long time. It could cause physical pain in the muscles because of the fast breathing. From what I know, it can not kill you, because if you pass out from lack of oxygen, your brain takes over and allows you to breathe normally again.
    I hope that helps!
    "The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." -Gil Stern

Ashley Preciousfable is offline Master Gamer

Hi Ella,

This is probably something you should ask your parents, a trusted adult, or health care provider about. Seeking medical advice on the internet can not always be safe to do. Being scared is no fun though!

Thomas Edison's last words were 'It's very beautiful over there'.
    I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful.