Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By DespicableDani
  • 1 Post By GriffinSilentgulf
  • 1 Post By DespicableDani

Title: Fish experts out thereee???

Dawn73 is offline Master Gamer

Icon5 Fish experts out thereee???

Elloo!! o: So i'm kinda in a pickle right now. I have a Picasimus fish (AKA a ****** fish)

(This is not mine btw) anyway, mine is getting too big for my 20 gallon tank. Apparently we went to a different fish store 2 weeks ago. My albino catfish died so I went to buy another. We got one then it died the next day. Then we got another and it died. My mom went down to the store to get my water tested. Turns out its as far off the scale as possible (actually it could be worse) they said I need to do a full water change. Because my fish has been living in such bad environment for a while (maybe a month) i'm afraid if I do it it will kill him because the shock of the transition. My aunt just gave me one of her 30-40 gallon tanks yesterday for my birthday. The person at the store said they need to be in 50-60 gallons of water. Mine is about ehh 7 inches right now? I feel bad, hes squished in mine. My aunt said she wanted more fish. She has I think 90-100 gallon tank. She said she'll adopt him if it's ok with me. I'm just scared he'll die from this transition ;-; I'm not sure if he will though hes about a year and a half old..maybe 2 years..? I would like him to be in a much bigger tank.

Option 1:
    Him living in my aunts 90-100 gallon tank

Option 2:
    Him still living with me in a new 30-40 gallon tank.

I DON'T KNOW. So if theres any fishy experts out thereeee...
    Narwhales. Bai.

DespicableDani is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Fish experts out thereee???

To do the transition between the water you should remove about 2 gallons a week, and replace the two gallons with the new water. Yes, this will expose it to the water you have now, but it will also help your fish get used to it.
    After you have replaced up to 18 gallons, with the new water exposed, try moving the fish and the water, into the bigger 30-40 gallon tank, and adding more of the new water. That way the ratio of the water will be in favor of the new cleaner water. (Keep it in the larger tank like this for 2 weeks.)

Do you use a filter?
    If so, take the filter out for this next part, and do a hand cleaning.
    (Ask me any questions about cleaning the tank, there is a way you should do it so everything has been cleaned,
    and has no traces of the old water.)

(You can keep the fish in the old tank as you clean the new one.)

While hand cleaning the tank after the 2 weeks, keep the fish in the new clean water. Then, when your ready, transfer the water in the 20 gallon tank and the fish into the larger tank (which should only be filled with about 10-20 gallons, so it makes 40 and won't overflow) and just keep an eye on him for a week or two to see how the transition went.

Any other questions, just ask.
    Your fish living with the your Aunt may not be a bad idea either, but will still need to go through the water change.
    This is, again, if you're comfortable with not having the fish in your possession.
    Last edited by DespicableDani; 11-11-2013 at 01:35 PM.
    Dawn73 likes this.
    My adventure ends here.

GriffinSilentgulf is offline Master Gamer

I had the same problem with fish dying the day after you brought them home...I'd go with the 90-100 gallon tank. I used a filter and added snails to mine (read somewhere that it helped with something). The last fish I had was 8 years ago though
    Dawn73 likes this.

Dawn73 is offline Master Gamer

TANK U GUYS. ^-^ @dani yeah i do use filters, I had wash the little rolly thing, then replace filter every week and a half to 3 weeks.
    Narwhales. Bai.

DespicableDani is offline Master Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn73 View Post
    TANK U GUYS. ^-^ @dani yeah i do use filters, I had wash the little rolly thing, then replace filter every week and a half to 3 weeks.
    Yeah, to do the water you need to hand wash the entire tank.
    Dawn73 likes this.
    My adventure ends here.