Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Princess Celestina is offline Master Gamer

Icon4 Addicted to Free Realms? Click Here!

First of all, if you're addicted to Free Realms, I decided to make a guide to help you.

Step 1: BREATHE.
    It's not the end of the world. You can live without Free Realms. Just think of how you entertained yourself BEFORE SOE came out with Free Realms.

Step 2: Find something else to do.
    Get out of the house. Go shopping. Go to the beach. Go hang out with friends. Go swimming. Go for a walk. Go ride your bike. Go do something that doesn't require sitting, looking at a screen, and straining your eyes.

Step 3: Did you do your homework?
    Yes, I know. I know...homework? GROSS. I know I'm not your mom, but hey, let's face it. Unless you're considering going into the video game testing field (or whatever they call it), you should probably play less video games and study more on the subjects you need improvement on.

Step 4: Family time.
    All strongly-built families start with communication. Communication is the key. No, I'm not saying you have to spend time with your family 24/7, but maybe every once in a while, set down the mouse and keyboard, and spend time with your family. Maybe have a family movie night.

Step 5: Getting over the addiction.
    Whenever Free Realms is up and running once again, don't let yourself fall back into the trap. Make sure you don't make Free Realms your life. Make sure you stay social with your family, friends, and even acquaintances. Don't lose connection.

Now, before you think, "Oh, this is ridiculous," I'd like for you to read on, please.
    I'm about to share my personal experience with past addiction to Free Realms.

Part 1: The beginning.
    Back in 2009, I started Free Realms. At first, I wasn't a big fan of it, because I didn't have a membership, but whenever I came back in February of 2010, I let myself become addicted. I didn't think I was letting it get too bad, but it was becoming terrible.

Part 2: The fall.
    By the late part of March 2010, the addiction was reaching its peak. I would go straight upstairs after school, lock the door, and play Free Realms until about anywhere from 1-5 the next morning (whether it was a school night or not).

Part 3: The loss.
    I began losing everything—my high GPA (because I didn't study OR do my homework), my friends (because I let Free Realms become my social life), my family (because I hardly spoke with them), and my parents' trust (because I would go behind their backs, because if I didn't play Free Realms, I thought I wouldn't survive).

Part 4: The scarring.
    Because of my ignorance and sad addiction, I was diagnosed with Insomnia.
    Insomnia - chronic inability to fall asleep or remain asleep for an adequate length of time
    How did I get this? Well, because I pulled all-nighters all of the time. For what purpose? A little, online video game. My sports were also affected by this. My performance level isn't as high as it used to be, and I have a feeling it won't be ever again.

Part 5: The recovery.
    To this very day, I'm still recovering from the addiction. Some things I have my parents do are to lock up my computer, and whenever I wish to use it, they'll unlock it for me (if they feel like it, that is...). I'm still trying to earn my parents' trust back. It's been almost a year, and I still haven't earned it. I'm still trying to get my friends back. Some are gone, some aren't as close as they used to be, and there are a few (a very SMALL few) whose friendship I've finally earned back. I'm getting back on track with extra-curricular activities. I have a whole lot of catching up to do. Also, as I've said in the paragraph above, my performance level isn't what it used to be, and I'm afraid it won't be like that ever again...but I'm trying my best to work my way back to where I once was.

Well, thank you for taking time to read this, and I hope I've helped/inspired you in one way or another.
    Have a blessed day.
    ~Celestina
    Last edited by Princess Celestina; 05-04-2011 at 08:55 PM.

Where you stop is where you start again.
    Celestina Corinne

Zoey704 is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Addicted to Free Realms? Click Here!

This is really well written Celestina. I couldn't said it better myself.

I used to be addicted to Free Realms.

Now I'm addicted to my computer. I used to be so addicted that I would "forget" to feed the animals. But now the animals are not going starved anymore, because my mom punished me enough that I learned my lesson. I can do anything without my guitar except for playing songs, because I can't play by ear yet. But lately I've been taking a break for an hour or two to go outside, or do some chores, or read a chapter or two in a book that I'm reading.

Through fighting this addiction, I've been able to keep my friends and family. Once a week I'll meet up with my friends. And I've also been trying to find a job. My focus in school is slacking, but I'm learning to bring my focus back up, especially if I want to go to college. I only get on my computer in the mornings to check my messages.
    Signature credit goes to: Stephanie Stonyray (Thanks Stephanie)

Help us help make THIS Christmas Event a success!!

Grim Soulreaper is offline Master Gamer

I am pretty sure there are quite a few people addicted to internet games.. FR included... World of War craft would be one of those that is known for being addicting... I think they have a 12 step program for that game too. I'm sure some people may think it's ridiculous to become addicted to a game but it's very possible if you work it into your routine of things.... Glad that you recognized there was a problem you had to address about it and good for you ! Great thread too and much respect to you for it XD
    Playing DCUO now

Piper is offline Master Gamer

OHHH my! Before i even found out about free realms... I used to climb trees all the time and venture into the forest near my house and find my own leaf piles with collections and battle invisable ninjas and come home dirty from a days worth of playing outside and eat cereal. ^_^ Good times..
    Im not pretty, Im not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun.
    ~ Katniss Everdeen ~ District 12 tribute

Princess Celestina is offline Master Gamer

@ Zoey: Oh, I didn't even MENTION my animals. The poor babies lost weight as I lost sleep hours...
    @ Grim: Well, thank you! =) It took me a lot of guts to write this, because, well, I was pretty hesitant and kind of didn't want to...
    @ Piper: Yeah, climbing trees was a bunch of fun! I'll never forget those days. They make me want to climb a tree again soon. c:

Where you stop is where you start again.
    Celestina Corinne

cathearder is offline Pro Gamer

With all of that being said it is enteresting how friendships are formed online and can be a source of support. It is helpful when those friends also realize that "real life" comes first. Having left for a few months
    I can attest to those friendships as many were still on my friends list and the game had not changed all that much.

Now if FR would only come back up..
    Oh, what of my crops, those dang rabbits and goffers will get whatever is left from the mold and bugs. and that pinatta is going to burst no one to bash its gifts out. Oh I hope I didnt leave the iron on or the water running well, gosh who is feeding my animals, oh FR what is happening has cakenstien eating you all? hmm, yah may be an addict

ozzy souldale is offline Amateur Gamer

so true i used to be the smartest guy in school i could figure out 5.6 times 623 in seconds now i am like what is 8 times 6 maybe 50. I may stop playing for two weeks and study.

diamond381 is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy souldale View Post
    so true i used to be the smartest guy in school i could figure out 5.6 times 623 in seconds now i am like what is 8 times 6 maybe 50. I may stop playing for two weeks and study.
    Well gaming is a good cause for that and the whole reason is that you want to do something so bad that it distracts you throughout your day..

Karennn is offline Master Gamer

This is a well written thread that definitely will help the younger ones to be aware of the possibilities that may arise if they do not learn to control and realize that they may be playing too much. Majority of the people playing FR are minors, hence, they do not realize the consequences that could arise when given the chance. I hope parents would supervise their children because, we as kids, naturally want entertainment. FR is a means on one of it, therefore, we get carried away playing it for hours, not realizing that we're getting addicted to it..

I am sorry to hear that you had to lose some of your friends and got bad grades for it. You have my sympathy Celestina. Although I am pretty glad that you came to the realization, nonetheless, because as the saying goes.. "Better late than never." Some are less fortunate to continue on with this parabolic routine of spending almost more than 2 hours playing the game, but FR can never substitute real life. Yes, you can gain friends, you gain a "virtual sister, brother, etc". But at the end of the day, you eat with your family, you go to school with your friends. None are ever so virtually related.

I hope this is an eye opener for those who do not realize the possiblities that can happen if they don't stop it themselves.

Annie Hawkclaw is offline Master Gamer

Nice guide . I don't really consider myself in anyways addicted, because of what happened when FR was down. It turned out, yah, some points I would have liked to play on it, but I did just fine. I spend plenty of time on computer, but I have never really been addicted to anything. Maybe 3 hours a day on the computer, which is spent on a variety of sites and random reaserching ( I love googling "random facts" and reading it all xD ). In the end, I still have plenty of fun in other stuff.

Spoiler: show

(Also known as Annie, Green, or Froggy)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast