Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Curator is offline Explorer

Default Wesley Fuzzybrow’s Newbie Guide to Kart Racing

Wesley Fuzzybrow’s Newbie Guide to Kart Racing

Introduction: Hello, I’m Wesley Fuzzybrow. Having recently taken an interest in the Free Realms Kart Racing game, I looked around the web to find a guide on driving tips, part explanations, and general info about the mechanics of Kart racing. To my surprise, I didn’t find very much of the information I was looking for – so I’m writing my own guide as I learn.

Not being a game developer, this guide will include my Personal Observations and Thoughts about the Kart Racing game rather than 100% true facts that only the game designers would know for sure. As a newbie myself, I welcome input from any experienced Kart Racers out there to correct me, or add information, and I will try to keep the main post updated.

At the time of this first post, I am currently a level 16 Kart Racer, but leveling up is pretty quick. Not having achieved level 20 and finished the quest line though, I am only speaking from current experience. I am not a fan of racing games in general, so the terminology might be off.

I will not include spoilers for any quests. If you have trouble, there are several web sites where you can look up the specifics of how to complete a quest.

THIS GUIDE REFERENCES ONLY IN-GAME PARTS. At this time at least, I have no Station Cash parts or Karts, and have no plans to get them. If it seems to become necessary for me later on, I’ll consider it; but until then all information presented is obtained using purely the in-game “free” parts gained from the quest line rewards and the Coin Shop.

QUEST LINE
    The quest line is similar to others in Free Realms, with the exception that it frequently involves … racing Karts. In addition to actual races (which are conducted much like dungeons in how you enter them), there are several “other” types of quests of the kind you’ve come to know in Free Realms. Timed “deliveries,” running back and forth talking to people, snapping up items and so on.

A slight difference is the presence of “hit the target” quests, for lack of a better term, which are infrequent but also show up in the Postman quest line and a few others. Basically, you are given special powers (usable in your number ‘1’ and sometimes ‘2’ hotkey bar slot) which when used present you with a small targeting cursor, that you then use to click on what you want to “throw” the item at. The powers have slight cooldowns, so try not to miss. Otherwise, the quest goals vary somewhat but are explained by the NPCs as you get them.

Other guides out there detail the quest line more fully, but the typical pattern of quests that you will see repeated several times is roughly this:

1: Talk to NPC to get quest.

2: Talk to another NPC to further quest.

3: Do small errand quest for NPC, often with a new Part or clothing item reward.

4: Race an NPC.

5: Find a new sponsor.

6: Satisfy the sponsor with several races at a given track.

7: Repeat.

I have had no trouble completing any of the side quests to speak of, as I find their difficulty up to this point is comparable to any other quest in Free Realms.

A good thing is that the quests usually give you the exact Part upgrade(s) you’ll need to give you an edge in the next race. Remember, all parts handle a little differently, so change them based on the track.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RACING GUIDE
    The tutorials give you a rough description of the rules of the game, but leave a lot out.

CONTROLS:

ACCELERATE
    The ‘W’ key is your acceleration. Most of the time you’re going to just hold it down to keep going fast. Sometimes though, particularly on Turns, you may want to let up in short bursts to reduce speed and make the Turn more manageable.

REVERSE/BRAKE
    The ‘S’ key is both your Brake and your Reverse. You will almost never need to use it, but it’s good to know how it works for when you do. Tapping ‘S’ briefly hits the Brake, and you can see it as the Brake Light becomes lit on your Kart. However, holding it down for just a short bit of time can put you into Reverse, something you rarely want to be in as it ruins your forward momentum. Reverse comes in handy if you get stuck on an Obstacle, such as houses or rocks, because you often can’t Accelerate over them (or you wouldn’t have gotten stuck in the first place). The best use of your time is usually just to reverse immediately and free yourself.

In the real world, hitting the Brake might help your turn be more precise, but I’ve not been able to produce good results with using it in the game. Generally, easing off the Acceleration in short bursts to reduce speed works fine.

TURNING
    The ‘A’ and ‘D’ keys control your turning. You can hold down the keys for some very hard turns, but more often than not doing so will Slow You Down significantly. Usually it seems to be better to tap the turn keys repeatedly, maintaining some straight momentum for when you come out of the turn.

Exactly how much your Kart turns depends very strongly on what Steering Column you use, and to a lesser extend your Tires’ Traction. With Tight Steering and High Traction, your turns will be very precise, physics-breakingly so. With Loose Steering and Low Traction, your turns will be more gradual. The kind of turning you *want* depends both on your own preference as well as the track conditions. See Steering Column and Tires sections below.

Turns are more precise when traveling slowly, or In The Air.

JUMPING
    Jumping is performed by pressing the Spacebar or clicking the Right Mouse Button by default. Most of the time, you won’t need or want to Jump. It can come in handy though, for avoiding low Obstacles – specifically hopping over Mines, and sometimes other Karts if you’re sliding.

If you have the choice though, it is usually best to drive around an Obstacle as long as you don’t have to turn much, because as stated being In The Air slows you down. Hitting a Mine slows you down more though.

POWER UPS
    Using a power up is accessed with the Ctrl, Alt, or Left Mouse Button. You can only use the Power Up that is in the circle, the others are accessed after. See Power Ups section below.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTERFACE:

You should usually be looking at the road (of course), but the Minimap is an invaluable tool while you’re learning a Track, and just to keep aware of the positions of the other racers. When the other Karts are clumped up and close behind you, you can expect Collisions and Missiles to fly around. Similarly when you have a slight opening lead over several other Karts, Missiles become more likely. You also see where the Straightways are coming up, which lets you know when it would be safe to Boost.

POINT OF VIEW
    There is only one point of view for the Kart Racing: behind-the-seat. Fortunately it’s not hard to get used to, and actually has the benefit of letting you see Karts nearing you that you wouldn’t be able to notice in a first person view. The main goal though is to look forward and anticipate the Track conditions.

MINIMAP
    You should usually be looking at the road (of course), but the Minimap is an invaluable tool while you’re learning a Track, and just to keep aware of the positions of the other racers. When the other Karts are clumped up and close behind you, you can expect Collisions and Missiles to fly around. Similarly when you have a slight opening lead over several other Karts, Missiles become more likely. You also see where the Straightways are coming up, which lets you know when it would be safe to Boost.

TECHNIQUES:

SLIDING
    Turns always involve some amount of Sliding (or, “drifting”) if you’re moving forward, even with the Tight Steering Column and Super Grip Tires, and getting used to it and learning to control and predict your amount of Slide is another important point. You’ll often find starting to turn just a bit before you reach the bend will put you into a good Slide to leave you coming out and preserving more of your forward momentum.
    The amount of Sliding you want is partly preference, but the Track makeup is important. If there isn’t much room on a Turn, your Slide can easily leave you hitting a Wall, or even getting you stuck on something, neither of which is helpful.
    Sliding supposedly influences how fast your “free” Boost gauge fills up.

BOOSTER
    Placing as anything other than last in a race requires you to make good use of Boosts. When you Boost, your vehicle accelerates for a certain amount of time like a rocket was attached. This makes it hard to Turn, so only Boost when you’re on a Straightaway or relatively easy to navigate section. Boosting in the wrong places can waste you more time than it saves, because you crash or get stuck on terrain more.

Something to note about Boosting, is that while it does work in the air, it doesn’t work as well. To get the best efficiency out of it, boost when you’re on the ground, or just as you land from a jump. Boosting in the air though can be helpful for getting over racers who are in front of you and possibly blocking a landing.

Conceivably, strong Jump springs combined with a Boost might get you over racers in front of you, but I haven’t tried.
    Your “free” Boost Meter supposedly fills up over time, from Sliding and from Drafting (driving very close behind another Kart). If you don’t have any other power ups, the meter will fill up and give you a Booster for free. On some tracks, this is the first Power Up you can get.

AIR TIME
    You will often find yourself In The Air. Either as a result of a ramp, a boost up a hill, or Jumping, Air Time has some drawbacks.

Without exception, Air Time slows you down. When your wheels aren’t in contact with the ground, your Acceleration stops working and you start to slow. Once you land you can Accelerate back up to Full Speed pretty quick usually, assuming you didn’t land Sideways.

While In The Air, your Turning gets much more sensitive; which can be dangerous because if you land Sideways, your momentum is almost completely stopped (meaning you have to Accelerate from a stop). Landing at a sharp angle might occasionally be useful, if you know you can’t make the turn driving on the ground without slamming straight into a wall (which is worse than landing Sideways); but normally it’s best to take a turn with gradual tapping. If you want to turn fast at the expense of speed, Jump and try turning in the air.

POWER UPS:

Missile: Lets you launch a Missile that flies generally forward. It can take slight bends to follow one of the cars in front of you, but their accuracy is greatly reduced where there are Hills, Obstacles or Turns. If you want to use it, your best shot is at a relatively level area, or when there aren’t obstructions between you and your intended target.
    Note that it is possible to “blow yourself up” with Missiles. Missiles sometimes fly lazily, just a little faster than Karts, and if you launch it very close to yourself or drive right into the same area it’s flying to, you might get caught in the explosion also.

Mines: Mines release stationary, free-floating bombs behind you. They stay quite a long time, at least one lap and maybe longer, unless someone hits it (another driver, or possibly even yourself on the next go around). Usually they hover just over the ground, allowing a smart player to Jump over it if necessary, though it’s usually best to quickly swerve around one if you easily see it coming.

The best area to use a Mine is in a narrow part of the track where there aren’t forks, ensuring that at least somebody is bound to hit it by accident as they go that direction. I’m not certain of how intelligent the computer drivers are, but one of them almost always hits my mine even if I don’t place it carefully.

Against players, it may be best to figure out for yourself where the best place to put a Mine would be for any particular track. Blind sharp turns that require fast Sliding are good candidates to catch an opponent by surprise, because if you see a Mine coming straight ahead it’s relatively easy to avoid. If a particular driver (or player) seems to favor a particular fork when the track splits, that also is a prime location. If you find yourself behind them at one point, drop a mine for the next go around and make sure you take the other path if you pass them.

Mines won’t work against drivers who are almost literally touching your vehicle, or are driving next to you, because they take a moment to become active.

Boosts: See the Booster section above. Normally, a Boost is the most desirable Power Up you can have, because as a player you tend to be a bit smarter than the other drivers, and can use them to greater effect.

Using multiple boosts at the same time won’t actually make you any faster than just a single boost, but if you use multiple boosts consecutively spaced apart in time, you can produce a longer lasting overall boost, which can be helpful. For instance, some Straightaways are pretty short before a Turn comes up, and a single Boost is all you’ll want (or else you’ll crash). Other times, Straightaways can be longer, and several boosts in a row will get you the best effect. Try to come out of boosting right when you’re supposed to be taking the turn; Boosting interferes quite a lot with your Kart’s turning ability.

Reserved for next part

Reserved for next part

KART PART GUIDE:

IMPORTANT: NEVER SELL OLD PARTS! THEY ARE ALL NECESSARY!*

*Strictly speaking, "all" parts are not really necessary. Particularly the starter parts “might” be safely sold off once you get all the “stronger” parts available (note that the starter Steering Column is Loose, so don’t sell until you get the Loose Steering Column upgrade), and old engines are likely suitable for the junkyard. However, each part behaves slightly differently, and *may* be beneficial to swap out depending on what track you are racing.
    The various Kart Part upgrades in Free Realms are very vaguely described as to what they actually do. So, this is what they do, based on my observations:

ENGINES
    Engine upgrades make your Kart faster. Near as I can tell, this is always a good thing.

Starter: Roadster Racer Engine. As the engine your first Kart comes with, there’s nothing much to compare it with. Consider it the default. Race a couple of times with the Roadster parts, and you’ll get an understanding of how they perform.

Racing Basic Engine: Gained through quest. Slightly faster than the starter engine.

Racing Pro Engine: Bought from the Coin Shop for 5,000 coins. Expensive, but it’s a good engine, faster than the starter or Basic engine. If you only have 5,000 coins to spend on your Kart, buy the Engine first.

BOOSTS
    Boost upgrades increase the length of time a boost stays active by a little bit.

Roadster Racer Turbo: Starter booster.

Basic Turbo Booster: Slight improvement over starter booster. Achieved through quest reward.

Pro Turbo Booster: Bought from the Coin Shop for 5,000 coins. Expensive, but it’s a good booster, more powerful than the starter or Basic Turbo Booster. Using boosts are a big part of the game, so not a bad investment.

STEERING
    The steering column is very important. It affects the turn speed of your Kart when you press the ‘A’ or ‘D’ keys. It is referred to as “sensitivity.”

The more sensitive the Steering Column is, the less you have to tap the turn keys to point your Kart in a different direction. In the lower right corner of the icons for each Steering Column there is either a plus sign, a minus sign, or no sign at all. This indicates the general sensitivity of the part. A plus sign means more sensitive, a minus means less. No sign means it’s somewhere in between.

The sensitivity you want to use is strongly dependent on your personal preference, but in general, a Loose Steering Column is better for good with gradual curves, while a Tight Steering Column is good for tracks with sharp turns or many sudden obstacles to avoid. A Normal column is general purpose.

Roadster Racer Steering Column: Starter part.

Normal Turning: It’s hard for me to see the difference between this and the starter column. I can only assume it’s a bit more Tight because it isn’t the starter part and doesn’t have a minus sign. Achieved through quest reward.

Loose Turning: Noticeably more Loose than the starter. Achieved through quest reward.

Tight Turning: Noticeably Tighter than the starter. At this point I prefer it as my “default”. Compared to the other two. Achieved through quest reward.

TRACTION
    These are your Tires, which influence Traction. Traction is how “sticky” your Kart is on the track. Higher Traction reduces the amount you Slide on big turns, while Lower Traction increases the amount you Slide.

Both kinds have their place depending on the track. For tracks with several gradual turns, or sharper turns with lots of room to slide (possibly with a curved wall you can drive on), Lower Traction can help you make the turns while not reducing your speed as much, improving your time. For tracks with sharp turns, or hard walls you can’t drive on, or several vertical obstacles that have to be avoided in succession (such as trees, rocks, or just mines), Higher Traction is desirable.

Roadster Racer Tires: Default starter Tires.

Grip Tires: Increases Traction slightly over the starter.

Normal Tires: Hard for me to compare to the starter. Assumedly it has balanced Traction. Achieved through quest reward.

Extra Grip Tires: Noticeable Traction increase, more than Grip Tires. Achieved through quest reward.

Slick Tires: Noticeably Lower Traction than Normal or starter. Achieved through quest reward.

SLOT A
    Slot A can take one of several different kinds of parts, mostly depending on your personal preference. Jump Springs boost your Height when you activate a Jump (spacebar or right mouse button). Nitro Upgrades make your Boosts stronger (as opposed to Booster upgrades, which make the Boost last longer).

Roadster Racer Jump Springs: Default starter part in Slot A. Improves your Jump height.

Racer Basic Jumping Springs: Probably stronger than default. Achieved through quest reward.

Basic Full-Body Armor: Reduces the effects of Missiles and Mines on your Kart. So far those things rarely come up for me, so I don’t find it useful for Slot A. Achieved through quest reward.

Racing Advanced Nitro Upgrade: Bought from the Coin Shop for 5,000 coins. Expensive, but it’s a good upgrade for your speed. Using boosts are a big part of the game, so not a bad investment; and Jumping is so rarely useful that it isn’t a bad idea to replace your Jump Springs with this sooner rather than later.

SLOT B
    So far all I’ve found for Slot B is armor. Slot B is empty by default when you first start.

Wheeler Racing Anti-Missile Armor: Reputed to reduce the effects of Missile strikes, but again I don’t get hit enough to have noticed. This is an item gained as a potential prize from the Daily Wheel.

Basic Full Body Armor: Bought from the Coin Shop for 5,000 coins. Expensive, but it mitigates the effects of the rare Missile or Mine impact, helping to keep you moving faster. This is not a bad thing to have, but it isn’t really necessary.

DECAL
    Decals are just added decoration for your Kart, and I don’t believe any of them do anything. My primary source for Decals has been as prizes from the Daily Spin.

FREE KART: There is a quest from an NPC in a business suit named Bill Riddly, in front of the Seaside Sandstorm Race Track, which grants a free VEHICLE; the “Blast Speedster.”

The Blast Speedster comes with the following Parts:

Engine: Blast Speedster Engine.
    Booster: Blast Speedster Turbo

Steering Column: Blast Speedster Steering Column

Traction: Blast Speedster Tires

I have not tested this vehicle or its parts extensively, but it seems to handle very much like an alternate “starter” Kart in all respects. If you want a different look for your Kart, do this quest early. Otherwise, it may come in handy to have one of your Karts set up for a particular Track, and the other set up more generally if you don’t know what Track you are going to go to in advance (if a grouped Player enters a Track and challenges you for instance). The same part can be put in both of your Karts at the same time, so keep your best Engine and likely Boost enhancements in both.

MORE TO COME
    Last edited by Curator; 01-23-2010 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ArielleMoonshadow is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Wesley Fuzzybrow’s Newbie Guide to Kart Racing

Great guide! Even if I'm already good at Kart Racing, I know this will help anyone who will be intrested in Kart Racing.
    Arielle Moonshadow
    Proud Member of the <Insiders> since January 4, 2010
    Not interested in trading anymore. Everything's so expensive...

RedCardinal14 is offline Master Gamer

Great! Awesome Thread

signature made by ninjablade2000.

Well that was a fast reply. Thanks!

However... I'm new to these boards and can't quite figure out how to Edit the post?

At the moment at least, I don't see a button to Edit.

Quote Originally Posted by Curator View Post
    Well that was a fast reply. Thanks!

However... I'm new to these boards and can't quite figure out how to Edit the post?

At the moment at least, I don't see a button to Edit.
    There is an edit button near the bottom of your post. It's to the left of the "Quote" button
    Arielle Moonshadow

EatMonkies is offline Master Gamer

Need 10 posts first before you can edit like Arielle said ^_^!

Incredible guide btw!

(Link to deviantArt)

じゃ~、またね。

Heh, that's kind of disappointing because I need to fix the format and some typos and update Parts.

But I guess I'll just get to work on the post count, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by EatMonkies View Post
    Need 10 posts first before you can edit like Arielle said ^_^!

Incredible guide btw!
    Oh.. I never knew you needed 10 posts. When you reach 10 posts, you get to do lots of new stuff such as Private Messaging and creating a personal avatar (those pictures you see beside a person's name.

and I like the way that your first post is a useful guide. I also forgot to do something... Welcome to Free Realms Insider!
    Arielle Moonshadow

Thanks! I'll see what I can contribute to.

RandomPlayer is offline Master Gamer

I see you've become visible, Curator. An excellent and detailed guide, I must say! I remember you saying you hadn't advanced in the Kart jobs... or was that only Demo Derby Driver?

Anyway, I can confirm that your "free" Booster gauge increases when you are very close but behind another driver (you can also be on their side, but cannot cross the mid-section of their kart) and that turning has the same effect. On other racing games I've played, very skilled drivers would turn on a straight road to receive a very helpful boost.

Also, you can post a few times in the Are You Game? section just to reach that needed number.
    Status: Quit FR since I never liked FR at all. Will probably not post anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast