Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Dawn Springlight is offline Master Gamer

Default Block Building 101 - A Tutorial On Using Blocks For Housing

I have posted some screen shots with instructions on how to make the blocks for housing do certain things. I am not showing you how to build things, but just giving you the basics on how to get the blocks to behave certain ways so you can build what it is you might want to build.

Note: RandomPlayer has given a really good tip on a faster way to place the blocks how you want them, and in most cases will work much fatser than some of the methods I show here, if you would like to try it out here is the suggestion...

Quote Originally Posted by RandomPlayer View Post
    Your methods actually seem a lot longer than mine. For setting an item down the way I wish, I simply lay it against the surface of the house, rotate as I need, and then hold down Ctrl + Alt, choose to move it, and then lay it where I need. Holding Ctrl + Alt before clicking on the object to move it will cause it to maintain its position no matter where it goes.
    This method really is a lot faster! Thanks so much RandomPlayer!

Ok...

I am going to start with some of the most common questions friends ask me....

How to make a block float....

For this example I will use use a flat block and make it float to show you how you can make it float. (this can work for any item at all, it does not have to be a flat block)

I will show later how to get these way up in the air, but for now I will just show in a simple way how to get an item to float...

You can use any block, or blocks to start with I like to use the rectangle blocks, I stacked two together just so you could see better in this example, I then placed a flat block on top of the rectangle blocks...

Once the flat block is where I want it to be, I can remove the two lower blocks,,,,

I now have a block floating in mid air! You can use any combo of blocks, or items as a base to set something on and make it float. Just remove the base items when you are finished.

How to make a flat block stand on its side...

To make a flat block stand on it's side you start the same way as we did with making a block float, use two rectangle blocks, (other blocks might work just as well)

The better the sides of the rectangle blocks are lined up together, the easier it will be to get the flat block in the position you want it. Once the two blocks are together simply place a flat block against them. you may need to rotate it depending on how you want it to stand.

Here is a view from other side after rotating the flat block..

Once again just as with the floating block, when you have the flat block the way you want it, you can remove the two rectangle blocks.

And there it is, a flat block standing on its side... You can do this on the ground, or in mid air if you like!

Making arched blocks sit or float sideways..

The arched blocks can be turned sideways but they first need a surface to be placed against. I find the flat block standing on its side works great.

You can set one side of the arched block against the flat block, you will need to rotate it into whatever position you want it.

you can keep adding arched blocks to this and make it as long of a line as you want...

When you get to where you run out of room on the flat block to add more arched blocks, you can slide the flat block along the ends of the arched blocks.. I changed the color of the flat block in the next screen shot, and also added a few more of the arched blocks, but it should still give you a good idea on how it works.

(At this point before adding too much more on, or if you plan to make a tube, before adding the other side, it is a good idea to leave your house and then return again. The blocks sometimes shift position after you leave and need to be readjusted, this is easier to do if there is not a lot built up yet.)

Creating A Tube...

Once you have some arched tubes the way you like them, you can add some to the other side, this will create a tube...

It is easier to add the arches to the other side of the ones that are up if you have a flat block against the ones that are there. Again they will will need to be rotated and probably moved into a position where they are lined up properly.

Keep adding on as many as you like, moving the flat blcok along as needed..

Once you have the blocks the way you like them, you can remove the flat block (you may want to leave your house and return to see if the blocks shift first)

There you have it, a partial tube made out of arched blocks.

How to set blocks at an angle...

You might want to set blocks at angles for a variety of reasons, to build a ramp, or a slide, or just for the fun of it. I am sure there are number of ways to get the blocks to sit at an angle. Here is the method I like to use..

I like to use the half cylinder block in order to get other blocks to sit at an agle...

For this example I set a half cylinder block on top of a square block just to raise it up for a better view, and make it easier to see how a ramp can be easily made using this method...

You can place a flat block, or whatever it is you want to make sit at an angle, on top of the cylinder block. Depending on what point you sit it on, will depend on the angle you get, the closer to the top of the cylinder block, the less of an angle you will get. You may wish to play with it some and experiment in order to find the angle you want.

Once you are happy with the placement and angle of your block you can remove the half cylinder and square block.

Adding on to make a ramp or slide....

Once I have a block set at an angle, like the one above, I can place another on the top of it.

I then change the angle of my view..... and slide the lower block upwards keeping it anchored on the top block, and making enough room to lay another on top of it...

Continue working in the same manner, with the lower block, the lower blocks helps to keep the upper blocks on an even level with one another as you build.

Here is how I get the blocks way up in the air, I just add them on to the end of my ramp.

Making blocks lay evenly...

This is pretty much the same method used in building the ramp, I use a flat block to set the others on, always attaching it to the bottom of whatever blocks I am building with. You can see the example below for a better idea of what I am talking about.

See how the blue block is attached to the upper blocks with enough of it sticking out to set the next block on? This will make sure the blocks are set at the same level. and you will get a nice even surface.

Well I think that is about it! Just the basics mostly. Don't be afraid to just play with the blocks and see what they end up doing, if you do not like it, you can always take them down again. Just have fun and experiment with them. You may even come up with some better ways to build things.
    Last edited by Dawn Springlight; 04-23-2010 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Finishing up

Trademarked is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: BLock Building 101 - A Tutorial On Using Blocks For Housing

Yay, I was waiting for this to be done.
    Jordan Trademarked
    <Insiders>
    The Official Canadian Insider.

Default Re: BLock Building 101 - A Tutorial On Using Blocks For Housing

Quote Originally Posted by Masterdiaruga2 View Post
    Yay, I was waiting for this to be done.
    lol thanks! I will keep adding to it as often as possible until it is completed.

RandomPlayer is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Block Building 101 - A Tutorial On Using Blocks For Housing

Looking good so far. Beware of the 20 picture post limit, though.
    Your methods actually seem a lot longer than mine. For setting an item down the way I wish, I simply lay it against the surface of the house, rotate as I need, and then hold down Ctrl + Alt, choose to move it, and then lay it where I need. Holding Ctrl + Alt before clicking on the object to move it will cause it to maintain its position no matter where it goes.
    I'm looking forward to the "Even Surfaces" portion.
    Status: Quit FR since I never liked FR at all. Will probably not post anymore.

Default Re: Block Building 101 - A Tutorial On Using Blocks For Housing

Quote Originally Posted by RandomPlayer View Post
    Looking good so far. Beware of the 20 picture post limit, though.
    I'm looking forward to the "Even Surfaces" portion.
    Thanks for letting me know about the 20 picture post limit, I had not thought about that. I may have to get creative by combining some pictures. or maybe post links to them?

Sounds like you have a good method for rotating the blocks.