Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

SaphronIX is offline Newbie Explorer

Default New and undecided!

So the past few days I've casually been messing around on Free Realms. Right now I haven't dedicated much time to it because I'm on the fence about whether I want to invest time into it. If I decide to, I'll get a Membership and the likes and really try to find my place in the community. So far though it's hard to determine what I'll do. So here's some information about myself and maybe we can chat a little and help this decision get made sometime soon haha.

Okay without being too specific, my name is James and I'm a fairly young "adult" (which is a scary word to me!). I have a full time job, I love music/guitar, writing, videos games (primarily MMOs in the past, not so much anymore), and food.

Now I could go play a number of other games that I used to subscribe to but something about them all is too demanding. It feels like a second job to come home to a game that everyone takes WAY too seriously! Which is exactly the opposite of what I want to do after work. So from what I've seen and experience in FR, it's very laid back. Still the typical MMO stuff to do but with a much more tame and inviting feeling. Definitely feel like it could offer a lot of fun times and help me make a number of new internet friends, but we'll see! All I've really done is... whatever quest is lined up next for me and tried to grind Warrior up to level 5 haha.

Anyway, who thinks Membership would really be worth it? I really want to find an MMO to call home but I'm torn about which at the moment and Free Realms seems promising!

And my bad if this seems like more of an advice thread haha, isn't intended to be! It's a... hybrid thread!

Default Re: New and undecided!

Hmm, where to start.....
    First, welcome to FRI and the Realms.
    Ok, to warn you, a good portion of the population, here and ingame, are younger than you. I even still tend to forget that sometimes. There are pockets of older players and a couple guilds of them, but most don't generally hang in the populated areas.
    I would suggest trying just a month membership first. Five bucks to test drive a whole game is worth it to me ^_^
    Some people will tell you no, it's not worth it due to long lapses in new content (including myself at one point), but I bought a lifetime when it was first available and am glad I did.
    Just some general info......level cap for all jobs is 20. The game has become more social as in a giant trading group rather than combat social as it was long ago. The newest content addition, Sunstone Valley, I think is meant to rectify that, but you'll find it rather empty because most ppl don't quite understand the concept.
    If you're looking for a casual, light weight game....you've found it ^_^
    Get used to button mashing if you decide to stay. 1-2-3 is pretty much your combat options. There's rumor of some combat improvement this year and I hope it's true.
    Yes, the game has it's faults, but I have played it off and on consistently for over 3 years.
    Good luck, and I hope this helps!
    And if you're in game and looking for a tour guide or someone to answer questions, don't hesitate to call on me, Siobhan Emeraldcastle!
    "I'll get you my pretties!"

DespicableDani is offline Master Gamer

Hi James! Welcome to FRI and FR. I'm Acaycia but my friends call me Cay, and I'd be glad to help you along the way. Like Siobhan said above me, a majority of the game and this site is younger kids, or pre-teens. But, there are some older teenagers and younger adults that you can find guilds with, if it makes you more comfortable to be around age-wise. As of your membership, I would do a test trial of one month, I mean its only 5 dollars for 30 days. Then I would try the longer term memberships if it suites your fancy to try just one month. The only problem is, if you enjoy battling you will need the membership if you wish to pass level 4 and continue to the limit of 20. But if battling isn't your thing you can try leveling adventurer and non-combat jobs. I find Free Realms a great escape for the real world, its a laid back game. Unless you find yourself in the hands of some of the youngsters and their drama.

Hope this helped, and if you need help with anything else just send me a message in private or on my profile.
    ~ Cay.

Oh, but like any other game... I do have to warn you, SOE likes their money.
    My adventure ends here.

Thanks for the replies. I guess it can't hurt to give it a whirl! And it would be cool to find a guild with some older people, for sure. Tried talking to some people out and about the other night and it didn't go so well, haha.. And combat or not, it's whatever. Just something to chill out with that doesn't make me feel like I'm working!

Anyway, my custom name doesn't seem like it'll get accepted (kinda glad, grown to like my temp name!) so the name's Malik Mistmelder if anyone wants to throw me a friend request and chat. Or if you're in a guild/know of a guild for the older crowd and feel like shootin' over an invite, that'd be cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by SaphronIX View Post

Anyway, my custom name doesn't seem like it'll get accepted (kinda glad, grown to like my temp name!) so the name's Malik Mistmelder if anyone wants to throw me a friend request and chat. Or if you're in a guild/know of a guild for the older crowd and feel like shootin' over an invite, that'd be cool too.
    This is funny, because the same thing happened to me. The game picked this for me and it's pretty much stuck ^^
    "I'll get you my pretties!"

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan EmeraldCastle View Post
    This is funny, because the same thing happened to me. The game picked this for me and it's pretty much stuck ^^
    Yeah it has more character to it than what I had chosen. Hopefully they don't end up changing haha. But anyway, I don't mind paying for stuff if I enjoy it. I've dumped plenty of money into pay-to-play and free-to-play games in the past but I had fun and made a lot of friends. Worth it, personally! So I've got my month of Membership on FR now and we'll see how that goes!