Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

View Poll Results: Do you think marching band is a sport?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 76.47%
  • No

4 23.53%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Title: Just Curious...

Princess Celestina is offline Master Gamer

Icon11 Just Curious...

Who here thinks marching band is NOT a sport?
    I consider marching band and color guard sports if they're competitive, not just half-time shows. They require just as much athletic ability, talent, and hand-eye coordination as the next sport. Not to mention you have to play an instrument, do visuals, dance, spin a sabre/rifle/flag, make sure you're in step, in time, guiding right, staying in your diagonal, etc. ALL at the same time while freezing your butt off in a spandex uniform or not being able to move in a straight-jacket of a wool uniform...and so much other stuff... This list goes on and on.
    We get up before dawn. Do stretches. Warm up. Go over our routines/sets over and over until we feel like we're about to die. Our instructor says, "One more time," but if you've been in band long enough, you'll know good and well that that means at least 20+ more times. We barely take breaks. Then, we go to regular school. After school, we have 2+ hours of rehearsal, and it starts all over again. We play at football games because we ALL know why people go to the football games: for the half-time show we put on--not the football team. Football games are just pure practice for competitions. So, after getting home from a football game at about 12 AM, we get to was up and be at the school by about 5 usually to go to competitions on Saturday. Usually plan on getting home by 3 AM on Sunday.

Attachment 51181

Practice in rain or shine, even if that means getting the flags wet...

Attachment 51182

Every...single...time...

Attachment 51183

Attachment 51184

Some examples of the formations we do (seriously, this takes LOTS of practice)...

Attachment 51185

Attachment 51186

You should see some of the tricks and visuals we do. Quite amazing, if I may say so myself.

A good example of a good competitive marching band:

I rest my case. Marching band is definitely a sport. It's also an art.
    Last edited by Princess Celestina; 02-16-2013 at 12:52 AM.

Where you stop is where you start again.
    Celestina Corinne

toxy219 is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Just Curious...

I'm 50/50 but sports usually are a lot more physically and mentally challenging knowing that at any point it could be the end , but they both are physical in there own way and a challenge but idk.
    Still here and still around

Quote Originally Posted by toxy219 View Post
    I'm 50/50 but sports usually are a lot more physically and mentally challenging knowing that at any point it could be the end , but they both are physical in there own way and a challenge but idk.
    I've been in a lot of sports--basketball, volleyball, gymnastics, etc. You name it, I've probably done the sport at some point in time. Marching band definitely is one of the more challenging activities (for me, at least).

Celestina Corinne

But what I'm mostly saying is football the 2 a days are terrible once thunder hits we go into the gym and finish up our workout and before that we do some crazy warm up and after we have to do 40 yard sprints multiple times and at my school if we mess up like fumble or whatever the amount of times we do we have to add another 10 laps of the 40 yard sprints and only get like a minute or 2 to get some water we go to first practice in summer at like 6 or 7 am and then again at like 7 or 8 pm and if we are on time or late we have run a lap around the field

Quote Originally Posted by toxy219 View Post
    But what I'm mostly saying is football the 2 a days are terrible once thunder hits we go into the gym and finish up our workout and before that we do some crazy warm up and after we have to do 40 yard sprints multiple times and at my school if we mess up like fumble or whatever the amount of times we do we have to add another 10 laps of the 40 yard sprints and only get like a minute or 2 to get some water we go to first practice in summer at like 6 or 7 am and then again at like 7 or 8 pm and if we are on time or late we have run a lap around the field
    We do that in band too. I'm dead serious. If we mess up, we pay for it by doing more exercises. If we're late, we pay for it. It's even harder if you're not a percussionist or in guard. You have to be able to play your instruments, even if you're out of breath.

Celestina Corinne

Dawn73 is offline Master Gamer

considering i am in colorguard like my mother was & my father was in band and we work 10000times harder than any P.E. or GYM class and then these stpd school district make all these silly rules so marching band & colorguard isnt considered a P.E. class or sport! makes me so mad -_-! ive been in guard for 3 years and was captain for one wole year with my best friend, the newbies that came in a couple months later they always asked "Why isnt colorguard considered a P.E. class? We do more things in this class then P.E." oi just oi, i really wish these dang school districts would consider how people feel cause we have 4 hour practices after school on tuesdays and thursdays! like really?! wish they would change..
    Last edited by Dawn73; 02-16-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    Narwhales. Bai.

Epik R0ckZ is offline Pro Gamer

I believe it's a sport since their are competions for music making. At my school i'm in the band and I play the drums. We have a very bad rivalry with the other schools in the area and we would fight each other to see who is the best.

IGN: Epik R0ckZ, Thanks to Kayopuro for the avvie and siggy.

I don't deny it's competition part but do you think they could keep cool if a guy over 100 pounds was running full speed at them trying to cause harm , or a baseball or baseball bat , or even basketball where tempers are flying , wrestling you're being thrown to the ground.

Dawn73 is offline Master Gamer

@toxy your kinda trying to prove that football or baseball or basketball or whatever is better than guard/band. Getting off topic not a good idea. Try to stay on topic answering the question is it a sport not what is better.
    Narwhales. Bai.

KitanaEdenia is offline Master Gamer

Yeah I think color guard/marching band is a sport They have daily practices just as football and other sports do. But I think it's little more mentally than physically involved. (Just my opinion based on what my school does)
    Dawn73 likes this.

Code: Breaker is awesome.
    The stupid gif isn't working.
    I know it's small.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast