Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Undead Father is offline Master Gamer

Default "You play like a girl" Now is a Compliment

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Chris Blazingsea is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: "You play like a girl" Now is a Compliment

That can't be right! I play around 30 hours a week so does that mean I play like..........................a girl?!
    IGN: Chris Blazingsea
    <Elite Cardie Crew>

FR4life is offline Master Gamer

hahahahaha. GIRL POWER!
    /flex

Zoey Cleversong is offline Master Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Blazingsea View Post
    That can't be right! I play around 30 hours a week so does that mean I play like..........................a girl?!
    LOL! Girls rule!

Ragu is offline Pro Gamer

Wow then, I play like a girl. xD

Zadira Kindleriver is offline Master Gamer

Hmmm... very interesting study. I am not sure that everything in the article was correct as far as the guys and gals that I know who play.

I personally don't put a lot of faith into polls. If they polled me then I might take them more seriously. It all depends on who the people were who answered the polls. Even the fact that the type of people who take polls makes them a little lopsided to begin with. Very interesting, though.

RandomPlayer is offline Master Gamer

This is the result of people being bored.
    I have no concept of time, so how am I supposed to know how long I've played this week? Maybe it's not that "women play more than they admit" but a large number of them may just not keep track of time as well. Not my own opinion, but it is certainly a possibility.

Edit: Next time/When someone says I play like a girl, I'll tell them they play like a man. XD
    Last edited by RandomPlayer; 12-31-2009 at 12:55 PM.
    Status: Quit FR since I never liked FR at all. Will probably not post anymore.

Ashley Preciousfable is offline Master Gamer

Girls tend to get more wrapped up in the social systems and interactions of online games. I'm not surprised that they play more. I have often seen the girls achieve in the games due to those interactions. Often to get to the "best gear" it is simply a case of playing fairly well (you do not have to be the best often) and knowing the right people to get into a good group.

Guys may be more aggressive in getting to that point -- but it doesn't mean the girls are not getting there either. Just takes us a bit longer as we get wrapped up socially which comes with the questions of: "come help me with my alt." "come play here with me" "can you do this for me" "do you have this item".

Thomas Edison's last words were 'It's very beautiful over there'.
    I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful.

Ragu is offline Pro Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Preciousfable View Post
    Girls tend to get more wrapped up in the social systems and interactions of online games. I'm not surprised that they play more. I have often seen the girls achieve in the games due to those interactions. Often to get to the "best gear" it is simply a case of playing fairly well (you do not have to be the best often) and knowing the right people to get into a good group.

Guys may be more aggressive in getting to that point -- but it doesn't mean the girls are not getting there either. Just takes us a bit longer as we get wrapped up socially which comes with the questions of: "come help me with my alt." "come play here with me" "can you do this for me" "do you have this item".
    That's why I tend to do a lot of dungeons with girls but I wouldn't consider myself "aggressive" like they said in the article, lol.

Totoro is offline Explorer

I don't find the phrase "plays like a girl" to be objectively negative or positive. Clearly women approach the game with a slightly different set of priorities than men. Strictly pursuing a set a accomplishments, marks of status and success is more a "guy thing." Playing for the social interaction is more a of a girl thing.

I think that absent social ties, once a guy feels he has "beaten the game" or proven he can, there is less reason to stay. Forming meaningful social connections will keep people in the game longer. I have know several females who really only log in to games to chat with friends.

I would even be willing to bet that men are the majority of players who purchase combat items such as Storm Breaker swords, while women are the majority purchasers of socially meaningful objects like that spiffy new new dance floor.

There is no right or wrong way to play if you enjoy your time. The objective standard for playing well, is enjoying yourself and improving yourself as a person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast