Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Undead Father is offline Master Gamer

Default Whould Newton have descovered Gravity if he played video games?

http://kotaku.com/5440758/parent-nin...vering-gravity

I'm wondering what the FRI people think of this?
    "But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

RandomPlayer is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Whould Newton have descovered Gravity if he played video games?

Newton probably would have realized gravity existed when his DS hit the ground and broke... Or he'd have thought gravity hated him and destroyed his only entertainment.
    What do I gain from games? Social aspects and terms that help me communicate casually, which in turn brings me information of all subjects quickly; planning and preparation for many things, remembering to take into consideration all possible outcomes and closing any loopholes, or only leaving the minimally damaging ones; arithmetic skills while trading or selling items (MMOs only) since I may need to work quickly and without a calculator; and quick instincts and reflexes that have actually helped me avoid fatal problems in the past.
    And the kid probably got irritable because he just walked into a game-free zone.
    Status: Quit FR since I never liked FR at all. Will probably not post anymore.

thezoom is offline Master Gamer

the game Kevin was talking about sounded alot like halo3

here is another post on that page
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey_Blinkon
    02:41 PM

Ugh. People like this give Chrisitians a bad rap. As a life long gamer, I have to say, games have helped a lot in my education. Games like Castles II and Civilization cultivated a love of history and geography, which endures to this day. In high school, I thought I might want to make games, so I took a couple years of programming. I later decided to be an immunologist, but the logic skills I got from programming are really useful in looking at things from a scientific viewpoint, with an objective mind.

In short, the woman fears what she does not know. Can games distract kids? Certainly. But so can books, or tv, or anything. And, as in my case, they can have a beneficial effect. Everything in moderation. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it is true, a kid can be distracted by any thing
    Last edited by thezoom; 01-05-2010 at 05:47 PM.

XboxLive Gamertag: beastin billy

http://kotaku.com/5441507/what-paren...om-video-games

Another Link about children and video games.
    "Oh you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad."

Anything can distract me lol. Whether it be the worst story ever or my bedroom walls.

Without games, I would not have honed my basic arithmetic skills as a three year old child. I would play this one computer game daily and learn everything in the times tables and basic division; though I can only assume that this aided my future education, these accusations are also assumptions.
    Video games have also helped me find something in life to be glad for. What did I want to do before discovering video games? Find a way to find it. That would never happen. But the poor quality of some video games encouraged me to actually learn the entire concept myself and create my own video games, unique yet similar. You should know about Pokemon games, being mostly turn-based. I've contemplated by myself for a long time on how I can create a real-time Pokemon game; not really out of attraction toward the game, but to see if I can start something new in this world, to break tradition - and create an entirely new one.
    Call me hopeful, but I can only believe that learning such complex programming would also aid in my understanding of more "important" technological subjects - creating simulations for those experienced in other fields that need one, like simulating the effect of a possible cancer cure on a cancer patient or a healthy human (just to counter that little "will they ever walk out and find a cure for cancer?" argument). As I am learning human anatomy in general, I am sure that is somewhat of a possibility.
    I've also learned to not bias decisions and call upon logic when needed, though I somewhat doubt that games are more responsible for this than my brother.

Edit: Ahah, the list doesn't end there. The game, Runescape, has taught me a ton of information I never would have even suspected: the materials that make glass, how metal is molded, British spellings (lol), cooperation for success, preparation, patience, perseverance (hey, the three P's), medieval items (papyrus, charcoal, weaponry, and armors, along with many more)... I had a lot more, but I'm having a mental block right now.
    Last edited by RandomPlayer; 01-06-2010 at 06:12 PM.

You're the cat in your picture.

Dawn Springlight is offline Master Gamer

Maybe a better question would be...

Would we be playing video games if Newton had not discovered gravity.

lol when you think about it gravity existed long before Newton was ever born, and no one ever noticed it before then?

Francesca is offline Amateur Gamer

If newton never discovered the gravity, someone would have discover it eventually. Newton is flat genius, period! Genius people don't wast their time playing video games. They have far more important things to do than wasting their time. They know better!

hhhenry is offline Master Gamer

Yes but what goes up does a double back flip before it comes down.

Quote Originally Posted by hhhenry View Post
    Yes but what goes up does a double back flip before it comes down.
    An inflatable wheel?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast