Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

worldplay is offline Newbie Explorer

Default What do you think about international gaming?

Hello to everyone at Free Realms Insider!

My name is Aaron Delwiche. I'm an Associate Professor in the Department of Communication at Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas.

I'm also a member of Worldplay Research Initiative (WRI). This collaborative project studies transnational play and cross-cultural interaction in virtual worlds. During this phase of the project, we are collecting a wide range of opinions from gamers, developers and games researchers around the globe. We have created our own website to collect data and share our findings.

We are particularly intrigued by the possibility of receiving feedback from Free Realms players, since this is such an international game. If you have a few moments of time, we would be grateful if you could share thoughts via the WRI Gamer Survey. The survey is currently available in English, Chinese and German, and we are in the process of translating it into other languages. In order to participate in the survey, you must be eighteen years or older.

You can learn more about this project by visiting our public page. Here, you can learn more about the Worldplay Research Initiative, read researcher biographies, take the survey, and share your suggestions via e-mail.

We realize that the gaming community has been surveyed to death during the past few years, and we promise that this project is not another instance of "hit and run research." Our activities have been reviewed and approved by the Institutional Review Board at Trinity, and we are committed to ethical, respectful research. Our findings will be shared with the broader gaming community via our class web page.

If you have any further questions or concerns about this class, please feel free to contact me via e-mail (adelwich@trinity.edu) or telephone (210/999-8153).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Aaron

Pother74 is offline Pro Gamer

Default Re: What do you think about international gaming?

Cool. It is great that my voice is being heard.

chutney is offline Amateur Gamer

just completed the survey - from a Free Realms perspective of course!!!
    Holly Redspring ~ Playing every day ~ usually on Server 1 but sometimes 2 or 10 !! Look for me or call me if you want to group for dungeon.

Wizard Level 20/Archer Level 20/Brawler Level 20/Pet Trainer Level 20/Postman Level 20/Ninja Level 20/Chef Level 20/Miner Level 20

Jemcrystal is offline Explorer

done
    Server 1 always.

Zan Feistywick - Wizard
    Zelda Feistywick - Archer
    Jarlaxle Feistywick - Ninja

worldplay is offline Newbie Explorer

Hello Free Realms players!

Just wanted to touch base and thank the community for your kind support of this on-going project. We have some important project updates:

• The first batch of raw data is now available for public download at the project site. (You can see it in this large PDF file.) We have scrubbed all personally identifiable information, but this document does include griefer responses and profanity that may not be appropriate for children to read.
    • Two of our team members have created an excellent video that explains region-locking in less than 120 seconds. (See embedded clip at the very bottom of this posting.)
    • The project has been covered by Ten Ton Hammer, We Fly Spitfires, DDO Podcast, and the research blog Terra Nova. We hope to soon get a chance to talk about this effort on the Free Realms podcasts.
    • Our project materials have now been translated into in Chinese, English, German, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, and Vietnamese. French to come soon.

If you're intrigued by this project and would like to help us gain momentum, there are a few things you could do to help.

• Please pass on information about this project to any friends and guild-mates who you think might be interested. (They must be over the age of 18.)
    • We really need to reach out to non-English players. If you are bilingual, we would be grateful if you could mention this project in language-appropriate forums. Or, if you have friends who speak any of the above languages, perhaps you could pass the link on to them.
    • If you haven't already done so, please share your thoughts via our survey.

Thank you very much for your help! We all appreciate it.

Aaron Delwiche (adelwich@trinity.edu)
    Worldplay Research Initiative

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ClHLKpbb00"]Embedded video[/ame].