Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Title: Well, they're bring back shades.

Zalesana is offline Master Gamer

Default Well, they're bring back shades.

Attachment 60339

Sorry about the small picture.

Well.. they're adding them into SC. I don't doubt that they'll be released in different colors than the original to keep the value of them.

Initial reaction:

Spoiler: show
    I'm genuinely happy that they're adding shades back in for new players, but I'm really disappointed that they're willing to take advantage of the player base enough to add in one of the most wanted items in Free Realms that was once free into SC. I I'm going to wait this out and see if they change their minds about how they go about this, but if they're added into SC like Steve said then I'll be really disappointed.

Now once again I'm happy that they're adding shades back into Free Realms and I'm not trying to seem like a ragey old player who's shades will no longer be valuable. It's been a pattern of them adding the most wanted items in the game into SC which is understandable from a company standpoint, but it's still pretty selfish. Maybe if they balance this out with putting milk gloves back into the game through their original quest, I'll be happier about this. I was okay with the old TCG items being put back in since they're less SC than a TCG pack, but this isn't okay in my opinion.

Even though he made a decision like this, I still think Steve is one of the best producers we've ever had. I just think this decision should have been thought out more and could have been done more effectively.

Well, that's my opinion on this announcement.

Edit: My opinion has been changed since I posted this and will continue changing throughout this month. It's always interesting to see what other people have to say about this situation. After thinking about this and calming down from all the excitement over this, I remembered that shades were from member packs which you had to pay for, so they weren't exactly a free item to begin with. I got caught up in the moment since I received my pair through trading and pinned them as a "free" item since I didn't have to pay anything. I apologize for being dramatic and I'm not going to edit my words above. It would be different if they decided to add something like elite into SC since that purely was available through the coin shop back in the day, but let's not even get me started on thinking about that.

What do you guys think? Will you be buying them?
    Last edited by Zalesana; 11-14-2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Edited in part of my new opinion about this.

Egg Zachly is offline Banned

Default Re: Well, they're bring back shades.

SC? No thanks. But FR just keeps getting better and better. Soon no one will play. EDIT: For clarification, returning retired TCG=not a problem. The alternative is paying hundreds for them on ebay. Sports shades? They are a very commonly traded item that aren't "too overpriced." This is going to have some very negative effects on the FR economy where as retired TCG, not so much.
    Last edited by Egg Zachly; 11-13-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Zachly View Post
    SC? No thanks. But FR just keeps getting better and better. Soon no one will play.
    Normally I wouldn't agree with the "Soon no one will play" comment, but I have no idea. Most people play only to trade and try to get "rarer" gear. If you look around at everyone's levels, you'll notice that most people only have a few (if any) maxed jobs. Them adding some of the most sought after gear back into the game is definitely going to drive away some people.

I just told an old friend of mine who's pretty much quit the game and has shades what they were doing, and he was extremely disappointed. Now he WAS the kind of person who would play just to show off items (sorry if you're reading this, Max ;P) but I thought this was interesting:

I would have quit long before I did if it wasn't for you, but those were my most valuable item, and I would have quit again.

Heheh, I used to bug him to get on a lot. So yeah, I guess we'll have to see.
    Luckycharm27 likes this.

Dawn73 is offline Master Gamer

Ugh -facedesk- -facewall- -facepunchingbag- -facedog- -facecheddarcheesepringles- -facefridge- -faceipod- -facefone- -faceglassofwater- -faceglassofspilledwater- -facecliff- -facefall- -facesplat- -facedeath-
    Narwhales. Bai.

I checked out the FROF for the first time in like a month and was surprised and delighted to see that in my absence a lot people have been making all of my arguments for me. If you check out the "is this game dead" thread you will see that the overwhelming majority view is undoubtedly yes. (In fact the general consensus is an even worst statement than even I would claim to be FR's current status. So much for E & Z being the number 1 doom and gloomer.) I love all of these "Steve is going to save FR!" people out there. Yeah he's done some good things and its definitely better then nothing for sure but you also have to admit he's done some very bad things as well and this is going to be one of them. Bad decisions like these are driving away the few people that actually still play the game. EDIT: Immediately after writing this I began typing an extremely long rant about my love/hate relationship with the game and how I sympathize with Zale's post. In some ways I feel like I am obligated to try to help "save" FR and then in some ways I'd like to see it fail because of its bad policies and decisions like these that demonstrate SOE's preference to manipulate players into marketing schemes rather then trying to improve the quality of the game. Half of me really wants to try to inspire more activity and enthusiasm in the game but the other half of me sees reasons like this and many others stacking and compiling and giving me more reasons to just simply give up.
    Last edited by Egg Zachly; 11-13-2013 at 10:03 PM.
    Luckycharm27 and tmorningstar like this.

Layla Littlenymph is offline Master Gamer

I am not going to support one way or another, but I will point out the other side of the issue.

Yes, old items have gone into sc, but they have also gone into free quests. Granted, the most popular are the ones going into sc, but there is a free alternative that even non members can take advantage of. There will be more of that in the month to come.

The sc items are not for trade, so that should not affect the original in terms of trade-ability.

The original colors and/or designs are not being duplicated.

Is SOE doing this to get max bang for the buck, and earn as much revenue as possible?
    Yes.

Is anyone being taken advantage of?
    I don't see that. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything, and there is a lot of free content that can be earned simply by playing the game. I can see where some may not like it, but is it cause to rage quit?
    To each his own I suppose, but I just don't see why this is such a major issue. It does not really affect me one way or another, but I never claimed to be the average player. Shucks, I'm barely even considered normal.

PS: Normal is boring
    Layla Littlenymph <Mystic Mayhem>, Lolita Litlenymph <Nymphs of Mania>, Wednesday Addamsfamily <Insiders>

Dawn73 is offline Master Gamer

Least I sold my shades for 6million a while ago... ^-^..........
    Narwhales. Bai.

Quote Originally Posted by Layla Littlenymph View Post

I don't see that. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything, and there is a lot of free content that can be earned simply by playing the game. I can see where some may not like it, but is it cause to rage quit?
    To each his own I suppose, but I just don't see why this is such a major issue. It does not really affect me one way or another, but I never claimed to be the average player. Shucks, I'm barely even considered normal.

I fully understand that SOE is going to try to make as much revenue as possible, but I just think it's wrong for them to take advantage of an item that used to be free and stick it in SC because people want it so badly. I'm still in the heat of the moment here with how I'm writing so I was using some pretty strong words in my OP. I agree that people aren't being forced to spend money on anything that has been added, but in this case there isn't a choice if people want Sports Shades (which I can guarantee most people who don't have them will want them).

I can definitely see the other side of the issue and I always do when I'm unhappy about something, but I will admit I was really just focused on my side and opinion.

I'm not sure if you were directing it towards me when you said you don't think this is worth rage quitting over, but I agree with you. I personally wouldn't rage quit purely over them adding a single item back into the game. Like I said in my OP, this wouldn't be the only reason I'm quitting. For goodness' sake, Zalesana is so glitched that I can't even have a normal chat with anyone in game anymore! Once again I'm just unhappy that they're adding a once free item back into the game though SC.

I guess I can just say that I'm not exactly normal either, and normal is definitely boring.

I'll calm down eventually and stop being so dramatic, I'm just still shocked that they're really putting shades into SC.

Edit: I edited my OP because I re read it and realized I was taking away from the actual point of the thread with some of the stuff I was saying. 8] I managed to calm down and now realize I was being silly. I guess I accidentally manged to let the inner "conflict starting" side of me come out and decided to try to pin this as the final reason why I quit just to stir up some strongly opinionated trouble. Me quitting is still likely but it's more because of the issues I've been having than this whole silly Sports Shades thing. I've really just been standing around in Free Realms spending money, so it's probably best that I try to save my wallet by moving on from the game.
    Last edited by Zalesana; 11-13-2013 at 10:32 PM.

TheWonder is offline Amateur Gamer

I don't know what to say about this.
    -shoots forehead-
    *BAM*
    Dawn73 and Sarannah like this.

- V -

Quote Originally Posted by Layla Littlenymph View Post
    I am not going to support one way or another, but I will point out the other side of the issue.

Yes, old items have gone into sc, but they have also gone into free quests. Granted, the most popular are the ones going into sc, but there is a free alternative that even non members can take advantage of. There will be more of that in the month to come.

The sc items are not for trade, so that should not affect the original in terms of trade-ability.

The original colors and/or designs are not being duplicated.

Is SOE doing this to get max bang for the buck, and earn as much revenue as possible?
    Yes.

I half agree with this, I mean this honestly doesn't effect me what so ever either and yes normal certainly is boring. The problem is the effect it will have on the economy. I don't mind the retired TCG items being brought back because let's face it, most people aren't going to pay the hundreds of dollars for them on ebay. But sports shades are a very commonly traded high value item. What incentive is there to trade for these rare items if you can simply purchase them in the SC market place? At least with retired TCG items most people weren't going to bother ever trying to get their hands on those items anyway myself included but sports shades kind of serve as a tangible ultimate financial/status goal to some. I could go make a few million coins and possibly trade that for sports shades or fork over a few $10 SC cards for one as that seems somewhat reasonable in terms of price/rarity. If I can simply buy a pair from the SC market place then I don't feel obligated to invest the time and effort into making the coins to be able to buy the original. So now I play the game for less hours because I could buy the item and have it right away. Maybe I get bored because I barely log in anymore and quit the game and SOE losses me as a customer. Then there are those who would be selling sports shades but no longer can find buyers because of this update and quit the game out of rage, now SOE losses them as a customer as well. Now I am not insinuating that this would represent a great majority of players but I do think this is an unnecessary financial risk on SOE's part. Quick short term gains vs long term collective gains from having a larger player base. Really the question here isn't whether this is good or bad because that would be subjective. The question is: Is this really necessary? EDIT: And also while this individually might not be something to rage quit over. After a series of unfavorable decisions from SOE one might rage quit from the game. "The straw that broke the camel's back."
    Last edited by Egg Zachly; 11-13-2013 at 10:18 PM.
    Luckycharm27 likes this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast