Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Nymo is offline Master Gamer

Icon9 Massively's Parent's Look At Free Realms (FR statistics, next event...)

Hey all! Just wanted to give another heads up on a new post on Massively.

They recently posted a nice article called "MMO Family: A parent's look at Free Realms", which is a nice first-glance guide for new parents to Free Realms. Go check out the full article.

It's a great little article, but reading through it, I noticed some interesting tidbits of info...

First is the player-breakdown of the game, which I dont' recall ever seen before anywhere, and it's pretty interesting.

According to the post:
    • 50% of Free Realms players are under 13 years of age
    • 25% of Free Realms players are 13 years to 18 years of age
    • 25% of Free Realms players are over 18 years of age
    • 67% of Free Realms players are male
    • 33% of Free Realms players are female

Not sure about the validity of these statistics, but seems rather right. though, I could have sworn there was much more girls...

Also something new to me was the mention of the next seasonal event: "February's Festival of Hearts"
    I don't recall ever hearing about such an event elsewhere, but glad to see that there's something planned for around Valentines...

Also nice to see that their view on the social atmosphere/community is a positive one.

well, That's all I wanted to share with you on the article. Be sure to check the full thing!
    But keep an eye out: I'm sure there's more little article posts coming soon from Massively according to their latest post on wanting to have more, broader content and focus on specific games. in other words, Massively may focus several of their articles on Free Realms soon!

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Nymo; 01-15-2010 at 07:57 PM.
    I am lost

Spoiler: show

Thanks Free Realms Lead Animator Floyd Bishop for the the animated signature!

Your new Free Realms content has been delayed...
    ...FOREVER!!!

Sylvester is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Massively's Parent's Look At Free Realms (plus other little tidbits)

Quote Originally Posted by Nymo View Post
    According to the post:
    • 50% of Free Realms players are under 13 years of age
    • 25% of Free Realms players are 13 years to 18 years of age
    • 25% of Free Realms players are over 18 years of age
    • 67% of Free Realms players are male
    • 33% of Free Realms players are female

Not sure about the validity of these statistics, but seems rather right. though, I could have sworn there was much more girls...
    Were the statistics put together by SOE or by Massively?

Girls tend to be a lot more social.

Nymo is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Massively's Parent's Look At Free Realms (plus other little tidbits)

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvester View Post
    Were the statistics put together by SOE or by Massively?

Girls tend to be a lot more social.
    Not sure how accurate those stats are, and I've only seen these stats from Massively, haven't seen them mentioned elsewhere (though i'm sure they probably were elsewhere)...

But true: Girls do tend to be a bit more social than boys...
    I am lost

Spoiler: show

Thanks Free Realms Lead Animator Floyd Bishop for the the animated signature!

Your new Free Realms content has been delayed...
    ...FOREVER!!!

Sylvester is offline Master Gamer

A comment below the "MMO Family: A parent's look at Free Realms" article said:

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBrad
    I suspect that that 7 million registered members number is misleading, in that probably fewer than 10% of that have logged in in the last month.

You should also have pointed out that easily 75% of the content in the game is flatly impossible for a level 5 combat character, and that includes the ending of every single storyline in the game. No, really, this is no longer a free game. This is merely a game with an endless free trial; the actual game costs $4.99 a month per player. That's still cheaper than $14.99, but only because they're betting that the average player will spend more than $10 per month on cash items. They're probably right.

I'm not saying that I'm anti-Free-Realms, or that Free Realms shouldn't exist. I'm only saying that people really should know what they're getting into before they log into it.

Gabriel Phantomcharm is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Massively's Parent's Look At Free Realms (FR statistics, next event...)

Thx for the Awsome info Nymo! That sounds right.

Gabriel Phantomcharm
    <The Great Brotherhood>
    Server1