Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    angelicaldream is offline Pro Gamer

Icon7 Laptop working again! Will hold party to celebrate

I am typing this on my boyfriend's laptop; while it is perfectly functional for internet and viewing videos on YouTube and whatnot, it does not have the minimum specs required to play FreeRealms.

It's weird. I went to a neighbor's house for a bit, less than half an hour. My laptop was logged in and open during that time. When I got back, the keyboard wasn't working (never had problems before with it) and I needed to use the handicapped option to use my mouse on an on-screen keyboard to log back on. I was able to look at the forums but my keyboard still wouldn't work. I was wondering if maybe my cat had walked over the keyboard (which he does sometimes if I don't stop him first) and pressed something that stopped me from typing. I pressed numeral lock but that did nothing. Then I figured that if I restarted, maybe whatever had happened would be reversed and I could type again. And if that didn't work, I would plug in the USB keyboard I got for my prior netbook with small keys that were hard to type on. Well, when I restarted my computer, it said that Windows failed to start, that it might be the result of recently added programs or hardware changes (which I haven't downloaded ANYTHING recently), and advised startup repair . . . which then asks me to open installation stuff, I put in the first of 3 recovery CDs that I made as soon as I moved my media onto the laptop last year, and then it brings me to this folder with like a LOT of folders in it and asks me to open the right one . . . I tried all of them that sound right, like restore and recovery and several others, and they are not right and at this point I don't even know if they asked me to look in the right folder- if I don't have the first recovery disk in there are NO options, it tells me I can't do anything, but I don't want to try to open like a hundred different folders and then if none of them work? I would have thought that a recovery cd would automatically run if necessary, not have me play a game of folder guessing, grrrr

Well, I turned it on again while typing this, the disk is still in, and maybe it works if I don't click anything? Startup Repair has been "attempting repairs" for the last few minutes when earlier everything told me within several seconds that I wasn't doing the right thing for it to work, sooo . . . wish me luck.

PLEASE, wish me luck. Otherwise I will need to have it fixed and grovel for my boyfriend to drop it off with the guy who fixed and upgraded this one, and I will have NO FreeRealms for AT LEAST 5 DAYS!! And right when they are adding the 1 year anniversary stuff too, I do not want to miss any of that!

Computer gods, are you out there?

PS- startup repair was NOT able to automatically fix it this time either- it says:

Root cause found- A recent driver installation or upgrade may be preventing the system from starting.

System restore failed- error code = 0x1f
    System files integrity check and repair failed- error code = 0x490

Now I have the option to completely restore my system to factory defaults or to restore operating system and retain user data, which will restore only the operating system of my laptop to factory defaults and transfer my files to backup, which would not remove persistent viruses or malware. PS I have a really good full antivirus etc package on my laptop, so I doubt it is a virus or malware.

I will try the latter and if it doesn't work I will have to do the first and delete everything.

PPS- restore is doing NOTHING, its speed is 0 MB/min and it's been a few minutes since it supposedly started.
    Last edited by angelicaldream; 04-19-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: adding a PS
    Read the second issue of the Free Realms Newspaper!
    http://www.freerealmsinsider.com/for...ad.php?t=24163

RandomPlayer is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: My laptop isn't functioning, I won't be back in-game until it is

Oh my, that's quite the dilemma. I suppose your laptop isn't old enough to be failing. Is it possible any physical damage might be affecting it?
    Well, best of luck to you with the entire ordeal. I think I'm one of the most clueless when it comes to these things.
    Status: Quit FR since I never liked FR at all. Will probably not post anymore.

I just got my laptop last November, it's definitely not old enough to be failing.

I don't see how it could be physical damage, I don't think my cat (possibly) walking across the keyboard the less than half hour that I was gone would hurt it, he's done it before on my prior netbook and that notebook, and it has never been dropped or anything, it's been in the same spot un-moving except for being pushed or pulled across the table without being lifted for several days, and I've been on it more than daily

Thanks for the good luck wishing, RP, I certainly need it right now

RedCardinal14 is offline Master Gamer

Ugh oh my, that happened to my younger sister before. Her laptop wouldn't work (she couldn't type anything and couldn't click). So then my mother went to best buy to buy a hard drive (I think it was a hard drive) and then she had to do these things (i didn't pay attention much) and then it was fixed, but maybe your laptop has a different issue then my sister's.

signature made by ninjablade2000.

Ooh, restore finally ran and (I hope) fixed my computer and now setup is applying system settings . . . .

I am keeping my fingers crossed that my computer will be as good as new once this step is done

Jaime Rider is offline Master Gamer

Sounds like you fried your cpu/processer, not sure until I get more info. Try replacing them, it only takes about 10 minutes.

It is working again!!!! It just re-downloaded FreeRealms!

I will hold a party in FreeRealms sometime later to celebrate and everyone on here is invited!

Zoey Cleversong is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Laptop working again! Will hold party to celebrate

Congrats!

EatMonkies is offline Master Gamer

Great to hear it's working again

(Link to deviantArt)

じゃ~、またね。

RandomPlayer is offline Master Gamer

That was quick.
    Great to hear it was fixed so quickly.
    Status: Quit FR since I never liked FR at all. Will probably not post anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast