Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Title: It's Not a Joke

Lyze is offline Newbie Explorer

Default It's Not a Joke

Hello everyone,
    I have not used the forums of Free Realms. But I made an account to show you guys that you can't joke around, and forget to tell your friends how much they meant to you. I wish I joined the forums to tell you about my guild, or my friends, or even my adventures. But sadly, I am here to mark a conclusion to our good times. Sure, we'll move on... but you can't move on if your heart is filled with regret. It's time to say goodbye.

In game you may know me as Lyze. I never declined a friend request. But I also abandon the game for a year... I never said goodbye to the ones who needed it most. I don't want you to live like me. If you do... just try to forget and remember the fun times you had.

"Don't cry because it's over... smile because it happened." -Dr. Suess.

I know it's hard to not believe that our game is really leaving. The day before April Fools, it could be a joke, right? Wrong. Even if it was, it would be a horrible, horrible joke. Free Realms is closing because Sony Online Entertainment is financially not doing so well. Free Realms and three other of SOE's games are being canceled, including Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, and Wizardy Online. I won't italicize Free Realms, because we all know it as our friend.

There have been clues about SOE losing money. We just kinda looked over them, not looking into the dying eyes behind the words. One clue was when Free Realms took away life-time membership. They did this because it was such a great deal, that no one was doing the recurring, monthly deals. This was making them lose money. Sure, they had lots from people buying Station Cash, but it takes a lot of money to keep a game up and running.
    Another clue was the announcement of a new game coming soon: EverQuest Next: Landmark. I'm sure you all have seen the ads. This is the second sequel to the original EverQuest, which was created when most of us were babies, or not even born yet. SOE is trying to focus they're money into this game, because they believe is will be a big success.

It's horrible to think that Sony Online Entertainment is getting rid of four of it's games, for just one game that's still in Beta. But, they haven't forgot about us. Since two of the four games are mainly for kids and teens, they're going to loose all they're young players, like us. EverQuest and EverQuest II are played mainly by teenagers and adults. But, there is one thing about EverQuest Next: Landmark that upsets them: Cartoon-y graphics, similar to Free Realms.
    They want to give us something to hold on to. Isn't it cool to think they're doing this just for us? Almost all of the players of the EverQuests are upset about these graphics - but they haven't thought about our games, being canceled.

It's healthy to try new things... when this game comes out, we should try it out. They care about us, and honestly feel bad about getting rid of these games. The fans and the creators have had so much fun with Free Realms. But nothing lasts forever. We have to accept that. We must learn to adapt. We will miss the game, but we will never, ever forget it. For many of us Free Realms was our childhood, and helped us through tough times. I know it's easy to say that this goodbye is some sort of joke, or they're making a new game called Free Realms: Sunset, but it's not.

It's time to accept time. This game has been in our hearts, for six years. We had our love, our friendship, our boombox parties and our battles. We have explored the secrets of the Wilds, leveled up, and bought too much Station Cash then we honestly needed (>.> ... <.< ... ^^). It's time to smile, give hugs, and enjoy our last few days. If it helps, I suggest you take video of the things you enjoyed most, so you can look back and laugh. I enjoyed ever single person I met, whether I silly-stringed you when you were AFK, or battled with you to attempt to get that ever-so-hard-to-get level 20 gear. Thank you all for being a part of this wonderful game.

It's not a joke. Don't forget to say goodbye. Love your friends. Enjoy the last two weeks. I love you all.
    -Lyze

Layla Littlenymph is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: It's Not a Joke

Well, this thread is proof of why FRI should continue after the "sunset" of FR.
    Who needs the distraction of a game in order to be rude and obnoxious to one another?
    Just change the site name to TTI (The Troll Insider) and carry on.
    It's been earning ad revenue for the past year or more on garbage like this (excluding the OP).
    Why stop now?
    Layla Littlenymph <Mystic Mayhem>, Lolita Litlenymph <Nymphs of Mania>, Wednesday Addamsfamily <Insiders>

ashfr is offline Master Gamer

The OP is repetitive and has already been said several times by other members(this is intentional!)), but it's relatively harmless, unlike literally all of the post.

Azure Coldlake is offline Amateur Gamer

Ha, all I will say is FRI has changed since I first started posting on this site. I kind of regret not joining FRM because that looked like a great community. All I see here is mostly complaints and arguments now, usually from the same people. I agree with you, maybe the title of this site should be changed to TTI.

Edit: Eh, this was in response to Layla
    Last edited by Azure Coldlake; 03-14-2014 at 12:02 AM.
    RayWonderMetal likes this.

ashfr is offline Master Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Azure Coldlake View Post
    All I see here is mostly complaints and arguments now, usually from the same people.
    Foo, I'm a hermit, I don't complain nor argue, I merely converse.

Edit: Huh, on second though, I do see how the conversation came up..
    Last edited by ashfr; 03-14-2014 at 12:21 AM. Reason: That's filtered? My bad.
    Azure Coldlake likes this.

Zalesana is offline Master Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Azure Coldlake View Post
    Ha, all I will say is FRI has changed since I first started posting on this site. I kind of regret not joining FRM because that looked like a great community. All I see here is mostly complaints and arguments now, usually from the same people. I agree with you, maybe the title of this site should be changed to TTI.

Edit: Eh, this was in response to Layla
    You can still join, they're still up and running. Seems as though a lot of them moved over to EQNL and part of the forum now has to do with Wizard 101.

Free Realms Mayhem - A Free Realms family friendly community &bull; News

... Speaking of Layla's post, is FRI shutting down once the game sunsets? I haven't been on the forums much as of late and haven't heard any news about it.

Edit: By the way, I had created a backup forum in case FRI was shut down without notice or something because some members of FRI liked it when I pitched the idea. This is just a heads up for members of that forum (not that any of them are active including myself).

I'm not going to be keeping those forums up. I didn't expect them to become active unless FRI shut down and people decided to stay a community somehow, but I can see that people haven't even stuck around for the end of FRI. Well, this is about what I expected to happen. Thought I might as well give you guys a heads up though.
    ‚Äč
    Last edited by Zalesana; 03-14-2014 at 06:05 AM.
    Azure Coldlake likes this.

Zimster is offline Master Gamer

Where did the old FRI go too before the trolls settled in. Where!

I'm going to miss this game, a lot.

Probably the only one who is keeping on-topic just a bit, rather than bashing FRM or someone else.
    "Don't cry because it's over: smile because it happened."

Ragu is offline Pro Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Zimster View Post
    Where did the old FRI go too before the trolls settled in. Where!

I'm going to miss this game, a lot.

Probably the only one who is keeping on-topic just a bit, rather than bashing FRM or someone else.
    You're already a member of where a lot of of us went, Joseph.
    Last edited by Ragu; 03-14-2014 at 03:51 PM.
    Zimster likes this.

RayWonderMetal is offline Pro Gamer

EQNL basically looks like the Everquest game art and Free Realms had a baby. I think I'll check it out when it all fully launches off to see all the ex-FR players and those who never played FR.

To be honest, who actually thought that when they announced the closure of the game, all the forums associated with the game itself would stay strong when the primary purpose of the forum is to discuss and share things to do with the game. I mean, come on. The sub categories that revolve around the game probably take up about, 3/4 if not more of the forum?

And here we are saying, 'Oh my gosh, this forum is totally like, dead or something." What exactly do you expect to happen? At least those who you label as trolls are actually keeping the forum alive in some form.

As said by the producer, we are growing up. I would've thought that this would've gotten into everyone's heads by now or something.
    Egg Zachly likes this.
    ~ I wish everyone the best as they depart from the lovely world and community of Free Realms ~

RayWonderMetal is offline Pro Gamer

Your point is a bit vague. Of course when the game started, people would be 'too old' to play the game in the first place, so they wouldn't play it. Those who did play the game now are no longer suitable for the age range that the game is marketed for, which, combining with the economical and financial status of the game and the country, means that Sony no longer saw any benefits from keeping the game and saw more potential in their popular EverQuest saga.
    Egg Zachly likes this.
    ~ I wish everyone the best as they depart from the lovely world and community of Free Realms ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast