Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Kaden is offline Banned

Default GUIDE: Parental Controls and Chat Priveleges

Okay I know many many people will disagree with me for this, but it needs to be said. A few friends of mine's kids have all ready found themselves exposed to some inappropriate situations in the game since given access to free chat, and I know it has been making me pretty uncomfortable. Maybe I am just overprotective of the kids but so be it.

So, for anyone else with very young kids who play and who are concerned about the very young kids suddenly all having access to free chat:

I asked around and just tinkered around with it a bit. If you go to the Free Realms home page and click under Parents > Parental Controls, you can change access to everything. They may not be happy with it but you can switch them back to canned chat if you so please. AND, it is separately password protected, so they cannot go in and change it back when you look away.

On my account it even let me decide if I wanted to have access to the forums separately too, so I can make myself canned chat but still have access to the forums. Not sure how that would work on an underage child's account, but it is worth looking into I think.

Like I said, I know there are a lot of disagreements about it, and I do think the canned chat still needs great improvements to function properly, however, I do think it is appropriate to protect some of the younger children. Just making some of the parents aware that there are still options to help them worry less.

RandomPlayer is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Parental Controls and Chat Priveleges

There's three options to the forum restrictions, I believe:
    -Complete lockdown of forum access, granting access to only the Announcements
    -Access to the entirety of the forums, but inability to post
    -Complete access to the forums including posting privileges
    Status: Quit FR since I never liked FR at all. Will probably not post anymore.

RedBear is offline Amateur Gamer

the parental controls have always worked as you describe. the only difference is that the under 13 kids were stuck with restricted only. i think they should have done it the other way around: put everyone on restricted and allowed the parents to choose unrestricted. that and made an announcement...

Izzi Stormheart is offline Master Gamer

Red Bear I so agree with you... and they did it with out even notifying parents.. I wonder how many kiddos are out there right now chatting away happily (lol giving out names and ages) while their parents are completely oblivious?
    Seems like every time I am online I end up yelling at kids to stop giving out personal information..

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♥ YAY!I get to be in the new guild! YAY!♥ ♥♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    -TWITTER- YouTube

RandomPlayer is offline Master Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Izzi Stormheart View Post
    I wonder how many kiddos are out there right now chatting away happily (lol giving out names and ages) while their parents are completely oblivious?
    Hehe, if those kiddos are anything like my siblings, they'll run up to their closest parent and scream, "Mom/Dad, I can talk on FreeRealms now!!! Happy birthday to me!!!!!"
    Status: Quit FR since I never liked FR at all. Will probably not post anymore.

Anuraag is offline Pro Gamer

nice guide thx

Gabriel Phantomcharm is offline Master Gamer

Awesome guide Kaden nice work love it.

Gabriel Phantomcharm
    <The Great Brotherhood>
    Server1

Ragu is offline Pro Gamer

I see why you'd be concerned Kaden and thanks for the heads-up! I agree with RedBear, I believe we all should have started off with Canned Chat. For kiddos like me who were just under the Free Chat/Canned Chat limit I think it was a bit unfair but for younger children I think SOE's move was right. Great guide!

ok, well I feel like, well not the best mom in the world. I had no clue the chat had been opened up for kids. after reading this I immediately logged on my parental controls, and turned my childs chat to canned. Wow reallying feeling like I noob here, but definately appreciate the info Kaden!

jadenshaw is offline Explorer

Icon8 Re: Parental Controls and Chat Priveleges

thx kaden tht nfo helped a TON I O U

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast