Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Nymo is offline Master Gamer

Icon2 Friday FR Readings Wrap-up: Making an MMO for Kids + Webcomics!

It's the start of the weekend! How about some reading material for the next 2 days?

Over at MMORPG.com, there's an exclusive interview with game designer M. Margret A. Krohn on making an MMO aimed at kids. No actual news in this one, but regardless: It's an interesting read and worth checking out.

If you rather read comics, I just realized that GU Comics has been doing several FR comics in their regular webcomic series.
    Note the site may not be appropriate for everyone, here's some links to the FR comics specifically:
    "What's In A Name?"
    "Take Me There"
    "Quack. Quack. Quack."
    "Being A Brawler"
    "What Would Ted Do?"
    "Donkey? Really?"
    "Maybe Not So Much"
    "How Do You Feel?"
    "It's NOT A Lightsaber"
    "So Judgmental"
    "Grinding"

I get a laugh out of the webcomic, and I can't help but wonder if I possibly came across him in-game. Or if he's even on this forum... If you are: Just wanted to say "Hey"...

That's all for this wrap-up: Have a great weekend, Insiders!
    Last edited by Nymo; 02-26-2010 at 06:55 PM.
    I am lost

Spoiler: show

Thanks Free Realms Lead Animator Floyd Bishop for the the animated signature!

Your new Free Realms content has been delayed...
    ...FOREVER!!!

Aleya is offline Amateur Gamer

Default Re: Friday FR Readings Wrap-up: Making an MMO for Kids + Webcomics!

Oh look another interview I will never read. Thanks for posting it though.
    Also your link to GU Comics links to the interview, not the web comic site.

As a web comic snob and resident downer I must say, oh my goodness, those web comics were horrible. Lazy writing and art at its absolute worst.

"What would Ted do" is the only one that came close to resembling humor but even then it was still bad. Just open up a few of them and switch back and forth, they are all the same head shot just with a different outfit or facial expression. Browsing through the rest of the site I see that 75% are like this. This is no surprise considering he updates everyday so he is clearly making these with quantity over quality in mind, which leads to mediocre comics at best.

I hate web-comics like this and ones that make fun of video games usually fall into this unfortunate categories of lameness. His chosen style of one panel with huge blocks of text is ugly and uninteresting to read. There is so much more I could go into but I with hold myself from doing so.

I implore you all to not read these mediocre wastes of cyber space and instead read something that has no huge walls of uninteresting text, has great writing, is emotionally engaging, and have a great style and sense of movement.

Yes, I realize I am probably taking this a bit too seriously but lazy web comic sites like this one is one of my biggest pet peeves on the internet.

Also he actually did post on the official forum about his guild being rejected. You can read that thread here.

Nymo is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Friday FR Readings Wrap-up: Making an MMO for Kids + Webcomics!

One word Aleya: Downer.
    I am amused with GU, but there are better webcomics out there, agreed. end of story.

And I looked into his forum post earlier. Debated linking that as well.
    I am lost

Spoiler: show

Thanks Free Realms Lead Animator Floyd Bishop for the the animated signature!

Your new Free Realms content has been delayed...
    ...FOREVER!!!