Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Title: Free Realms to Shut Down on March 31st (2014)

Sunzia is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Free Realms to Shut Down on March 31st (2014)

I had a feeling this would happen,

Looks like ill never be able to have a 3rd silly string war, or be able to build that castle, or be able to have a caps lock war for the 100,000,000th time.

Well looks like im going to have to find another game to play, such a shame super secret changed a lot, now im going to stalk everyone and play this Aura Kingdoms thing.

And also I wasted 10$ on this game, yes im that cheap.
    Jackky and Egg Zachly like this.
    Thanks for the memories!

Mizzila is offline Amateur Gamer

This is really saddening. :C
    First ToonTown, now FreeRealms. Now there's no good games for me to play... All that's left is Homework now!

I want to thank everybody who ever helped me with a task, helped me earn coins, who I helped, and even all those people who took the small amount of time out of their schedules and went out of their way to say 'Hi' to me. I was sick for 3 years, and FreeRealms helped me through every second of that. I was stuck in bed, and I lost all of my friends because of it. But, I always had FreeRealms - I always had Lexi Fireblossom, and all of my friends. Thank you guys for being there through some of my toughest times. All the moments that I try to forget, all the time most people would say was "Wasted on a Video Game", I cherish each and every moment. I have spent over 1,000 hours playing FreeRealms just as Lexi Fireblossom (I know for some of you that isn't much, but for me it's one of the most played games ever!), and I've spent those 1,000+ hours leveling up, completing quests, enjoying time with friends, building, racing, fishing, and just overall enjoying being part of Sacred Grove.

This game is not only a big part of my childhood, but it's also what helped me through each and every painful day for three years straight. I have been a member since 2009, and I have never been disappointed with the game. I hope SOE knows just how much this game means to me, like many other players, and how much I honestly appreciate all the wonderful, happy, fond moments I've had in the time I've played the game.

So, really, just a round about way of saying it...
    Thank you Sony, and everyone who has ever spent time with me on FreeRealms.
    Even if it seemed insignificant to you, it meant the world to me, and I appreciate that greatly.

I'm not as active on the Forums as I'd like to be, and I haven't gotten to know most of you as well as I would have liked. BUT, all of you insiders are considered friends in my book.

Thanks everyone for such a wonderful time in the realms!
    I'll be on MMOCentralForums as Tyrynn if anyone needs me.

AangXD is offline Master Gamer

SOE literally doesn't want any young gamers any more because they are too mean at each other or something idiotic like that. Anyway, FRI is still a great site with so much memories. I suggest you change it into the "Insiders" site for general kid gaming.

pokegroup is offline Banned

I'm not surprised, or upset.

FR had its moments, but good riddance!
    frogguy213 and Egg Zachly like this.

Øptic Punk is offline Amateur Gamer

Ok, all this is very suspicious.

1. Ending on the day before april fools.
    2. the mods and admins here are making us believe that free realms and the others are closing, so they must be in on something.
    3. what would trigger close down? they said because allot of people are moving on, when there are MORE kids than before which means that isnt a good enough excuse.
    4. why would they have all those major updates, hero realms, the coin shop stuff.. i mean come on.
    5. did i miss anything?

posted on Free Realms Mayhem also.

but wait. i know the FRM mods and admins are close friends with SOE, are insiders friends with SOE?
    IGN: Vôid. Proud member of <Mystic Mayhem> since 7-27-13.Happy 2014!

Dawn73 is offline Master Gamer

@Punk I know it seems suspicious but believe me, ive done my research for about 2 hours yesterday i found it is not a prank. And is posted on several other sits beside SOE if youd like to see these sites type into google soe shuts down games.

. i wish they would swap out a game with free realms since free realms is one of their biggest games. at least keep it open till they find the new everquest a success... i bought a new video card to play the dang game.
    Dawn73 and DespicableDani like this.

DespicableDani is offline Master Gamer

After looking at the results of the broadcast by John Smedley last night, it came to me that they closed three of their somewhat unpopular games, and one of their most popular, to put their investments in a game that hasn't even launched. I find it foolish of them to close down a game that would possibly be the backup if this new EQ isn't as popular as they hoped it to be.

This part really caught my eye, below are questions asked by parents/players and answers provided by John Smedley, SOE President. My source was ZAM.

Cyliena; 19 minutes ago

Two questions from my 9yo daughter about Free Realms closing down: "Do you think if we played Free Realms more they won't shut it down?" and "Why?"

j_smedley[S]; 15 minutes ago

First off - I have to go home after this and tell my 12 year old daughter Rose that her favorite game is going away. I assure everyone out there that I will catch more grief from her than anyone else. She easily plays the game 20 hours a week (ok stop judging me other gaming parents.. it's a friendly game for kids). It makes me really sad to shut down FR, but the truth is we need our resources elsewhere right now.

Cyliena; 9 minutes ago

She said to tell you "thank you" for answering, even though she's still (obviously) sad.

chooseareality; 15 minutes ago

It was sad to hear about the closing of those games. In the future will SOE be looking at other alternatives to closing games similar to what ArenaNet is planning with Guild Wars where the game will move to automation to run itself at a much lower cost, even going so far as procedurally generating events?

j_smedley[S]; 11 minutes ago

This isn't a big cost issue. The real problem is maintaining the code bases when we update our authentication or security updates. It's really that simple. The costs scale with the userbases. It's just getting prohibitively expensive in terms of time to maintain these games.

Last edited by DespicableDani; 01-25-2014 at 11:16 AM.
    My adventure ends here.

Quote Originally Posted by DespicableDani View Post
    After looking at the results of the broadcast by John Smedley last night, it came to me that they closed three of their somewhat unpopular games, and one of their most popular, to put their investments in a game that hasn't even launched. I find it foolish of them to close down a game that would possibly be the backup if this new EQ isn't as popular as they hoped it to be.

This part really caught my eye, below are questions asked by parents/players and answers provided by John Smedley, SOE President. My source was ZAM.

Cyliena; 19 minutes ago

Two questions from my 9yo daughter about Free Realms closing down: "Do you think if we played Free Realms more they won't shut it down?" and "Why?"

j_smedley[S]; 15 minutes ago

First off - I have to go home after this and tell my 12 year old daughter Rose that her favorite game is going away. I assure everyone out there that I will catch more grief from her than anyone else. She easily plays the game 20 hours a week (ok stop judging me other gaming parents.. it's a friendly game for kids). It makes me really sad to shut down FR, but the truth is we need our resources elsewhere right now.

Cyliena; 9 minutes ago

She said to tell you "thank you" for answering, even though she's still (obviously) sad.

chooseareality; 15 minutes ago

It was sad to hear about the closing of those games. In the future will SOE be looking at other alternatives to closing games similar to what ArenaNet is planning with Guild Wars where the game will move to automation to run itself at a much lower cost, even going so far as procedurally generating events?

j_smedley[S]; 11 minutes ago

This isn't a big cost issue. The real problem is maintaining the code bases when we update our authentication or security updates. It's really that simple. The costs scale with the userbases. It's just getting prohibitively expensive in terms of time to maintain these games.

well they have 2 months to think it through. either they are gonna look at what they are doing and maybe wait to see if everquest next is a success, or maybe millions of players will tell them what a mistake they are doing and they might swap free realms with something or even keep it up and not swap a game with it.. if they shut down free realms they will loose ALOT of money.. or maybe if the new everquest is a failure, they can bring free realms back up(if they can do that).. lets just hope for the best
    bunny girl likes this.

Ashley Preciousfable is offline Master Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Øptic Punk View Post
    Ok, all this is very suspicious.

1. Ending on the day before april fools.
    2. the mods and admins here are making us believe that free realms and the others are closing, so they must be in on something.
    3. what would trigger close down? they said because allot of people are moving on, when there are MORE kids than before which means that isnt a good enough excuse.
    4. why would they have all those major updates, hero realms, the coin shop stuff.. i mean come on.
    5. did i miss anything?

posted on Free Realms Mayhem also.

but wait. i know the FRM mods and admins are close friends with SOE, are insiders friends with SOE?
    You don't have to take it from the Free Realms fan sites. Dani (above) mentioned the Reddit AMA I was referencing to on the front page, and it was confirmed on Free Realms site via there news section. There are plenty of other reputable gaming news sites covering the announcement:

Polygon: Sony Online Entertainment ending four MMOs | Polygon

Joystiq: SOE shuttering Vanguard, Clone Wars, Free Realms, and Wizardry [Updated] | Massively

PCgamer: SOE announces closure of four MMOs including Free Realms and Vanguard: Saga of Heroes | PC Gamer

I understand wanting it to be a joke, and wanting Free Realms to continue... We're not joking around about this, and it caught us just as much by surprise. It's not an april fools joke. Sorry. :*(

I would encourage anyone who enjoyed Free Realms to consider Everquest Next when it comes out. It looks to be bringing many of the themes people love about Free Realms into their production.
    Last edited by Ashley Preciousfable; 01-25-2014 at 11:52 AM. Reason: ,

Thomas Edison's last words were 'It's very beautiful over there'.
    I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast