Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RandomPlayer is offline Master Gamer

Default Free Realms: Liberty Land or Free Fun?

I have seen too many people speaking of the name Free Realms as if they expected to never pull out their wallet/parents. Free has several meanings (49 meanings under dictionary.com), so how do you know what it was meant to be? But maybe that was SOE's fault. I want to ask you a question: Was Free Realms meant to be a Land of Liberty or Free Fun? An attack on a name is nothing if the attacker does not know the name.

–adjective
    6. able to do something at will; at liberty: free to choose.

So many people think of Free Realms as inexpensive, cheap, etc. but there are others that actually say it is supposed to represent your freedom to do whatever you want whenever you want wherever you want. And how much more could I agree with them? The Dares's song was famous for so long yet the meaning behind the song, designated for Free Realms, seems to have been ignored.
    The choice is right in your hands, / So who do you want to be? ///// ...You decide! // You can do what ever you want to do, / However you want to
    Thanks to Monkies for the lyrics. Even Googling brought his post up right away. I didn't want to listen to that song again.
    As much as I can argue against how liberated the player actually is, I see no sign of free meaning the other meaning: cheap/inexpensive. Do you? (the dares, "it's your world" lyrics! anyone have them or know where I could find some?)

–adjective
    36. without cost, payment, or charge.

The first time I saw that commercial I had no doubt that I would not escape the game's grasp without losing at least a dollar. When I started playing and I noticed the SC Marketplace I knew just what kind of company is running this game. And my suspicions proved more and more true by the update. But my suspicions will remain anonymous. Was there ever any evidence of SOE suggesting you'll not spend a penny on Free Realms? Was there ever the suggestion, inclination toward, or even vague thought that told you that you wouldn't be losing anything but time on Free Realms except for the name of the game? As far as I can tell, there isn't and never was there any.

What name would have fit Free Realms better: Liberty Land or Free Fun? If you ask me, Liberty Land would have been far less questionable and much more fitting.
    Please remember that the subject of this post is the meaning of Free in Free Realms, not whether or not SOE is "greedy" or whatnot.

Please excuse me if I was a bit rough at some part(s).

The names were thought up by me on the basis of alliteration.
    Status: Quit FR since I never liked FR at all. Will probably not post anymore.

Don Waspvale is offline Explorer

Default Re: Free Realms: Liberty Land or Free Fun?

Quote Originally Posted by RandomPlayer View Post
    I have seen too many people speaking of the name Free Realms as if they expected to never pull out their wallet/parents. Free has several meanings (49 meanings under dictionary.com), so how do you know what it was meant to be? But maybe that was SOE's fault. I want to ask you a question: Was Free Realms meant to be a Land of Liberty or Free Fun? An attack on a name is nothing if the attacker does not know the name.

–adjective
    6. able to do something at will; at liberty: free to choose.

So many people think of Free Realms as inexpensive, cheap, etc. but there are others that actually say it is supposed to represent your freedom to do whatever you want whenever you want wherever you want. And how much more could I agree with them? The Dares's song was famous for so long yet the meaning behind the song, designated for Free Realms, seems to have been ignored.
    The choice is right in your hands, / So who do you want to be? ///// ...You decide! // You can do what ever you want to do, / However you want to
    Thanks to Monkies for the lyrics. Even Googling brought his post up right away. I didn't want to listen to that song again.
    As much as I can argue against how liberated the player actually is, I see no sign of free meaning the other meaning: cheap/inexpensive. Do you? (the dares, "it's your world" lyrics! anyone have them or know where I could find some?)

–adjective
    36. without cost, payment, or charge.

The first time I saw that commercial I had no doubt that I would not escape the game's grasp without losing at least a dollar. When I started playing and I noticed the SC Marketplace I knew just what kind of company is running this game. And my suspicions proved more and more true by the update. But my suspicions will remain anonymous. Was there ever any evidence of SOE suggesting you'll not spend a penny on Free Realms? Was there ever the suggestion, inclination toward, or even vague thought that told you that you wouldn't be losing anything but time on Free Realms except for the name of the game? As far as I can tell, there isn't and never was there any.

What name would have fit Free Realms better: Liberty Land or Free Fun? If you ask me, Liberty Land would have been far less questionable and much more fitting.
    Please remember that the subject of this post is the meaning of Free in Free Realms, not whether or not SOE is "greedy" or whatnot.

Please excuse me if I was a bit rough at some part(s).

The names were thought up by me on the basis of alliteration.
    yh it's your choice you want to spend money or not there are plenty of compeitions out there mate for SC so don't complain about SOE when you have the choice as these websites always appear in MMO's. and all good game companies know that.

~Mark

angelicaldream is offline Pro Gamer

I think Liberty Land would have fit it better, but potentially have drawn less kids into the game, so maybe neither of the alternate names

Good points, RP, I'm surprised I didn't realize some of that earlier
    Last edited by angelicaldream; 06-23-2010 at 02:48 PM.
    Read the second issue of the Free Realms Newspaper!
    http://www.freerealmsinsider.com/for...ad.php?t=24163

Sarah Noblemind is offline Master Gamer

Liberty Land, no question.

DawnSeastar is offline Master Gamer

Icon8 Re: Free Realms: Liberty Land or Free Fun?

I'm guessing that they meant the liberty meaning, but when the game first came out, it was rather hard to tell, since the majority of the jobs were free to play. Adding to the confusion were the words "You can play FREE at freerealms.com!," which Chatdy spoke on the commercial, and that were written all over the website. Of course, all online games want to say that, because a lot of people don't seem to want to try online games that they think they have to pay for. But with a name like FREE Realms, I'm sure a lot of people expected to barely pay at all. And then once you actually got into the game, you would see that you did have to pay for some things, but you could still pretty much enjoy the game without paying anything. I think a lot of people didn't realize that there was more than one meaning of "free." Even though they saw the advertisements with Chatdy showing you everything you could do in Free Realms, and heard the theme song saying "You can do whatever you want to do," it just didn't register in their heads that the FREE in Free Realms could mean something other than free to play.
    And of course with the November 1st update, and all the updates that followed it, it seemed like FREE was slowly being removed from the game. A lot of us got mad at SOE for this, including myself in a private message to Happygirl(Quoting myself; "the greedy pigs who call themselves SOE..") I never even thought about it meaning free will, and am now somewhat mad at myself for accusing SOE of something they didn't do. But anyway, what I'm trying to say is, you're right, I don't remember SOE ever saying that either. And you CAN still play for free, and "do whatever you want to do," even though you kind of have to be stuck as a noob forever if you join today and you never want to spend a penny on it.

Autumnpetal is offline Master Gamer

Liberty Land ._.

Autumnpetal
    <Insiders> guild one.

Quote Originally Posted by angelicaldream View Post
    I think Liberty Land would have fit it better, but potentially have drawn less kids into the game, so maybe neither of the alternate names
    True, but I meant fitting in to the theme of Free Realms, not exactly as a full replacement. I don't think either name would survive out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnSeastar View Post
    Adding to the confusion were the words "You can play FREE at freerealms.com!," which Chatdy spoke on the commercial, and that were written all over the website.
    Ah, yes, you're right. I tend to forget things that Chatty says. You already said what I would have said about that statement you quoted so I guess I can't do much besides restate.

Nate is offline Master Gamer

RP once again you astound me! And Chatdy says this "Hey, this is Chatdy! And I'm telling you that Free Realms is THE coolest place to hangout! Do whatever you want whenever you want!" Then a membership icon appears in the top left corner and says Ultimate Access or something like that. And I see your point in Libery Land or Free Fun names are just insulting the game. IF they had chosen either one of those games then people probably wouldn't have come and signed up! You have to look at it there point of view though, there goal is to make money. Our goal is to have fun! I'm going to stop there.....think about what I just wrote/typed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    You have to look at it there point of view though, there goal is to make money.
    That's true, and I know that they've more than fulfilled that goal (I doubt it was cheap to expand almost every property's item limit by at least six times - that costs technical upgrades), but I was focusing on the meaning of Free Realms rather than SOE's goals, direction, or really much related to their side. In fact, I was trying to veer away from the concept of a "greedy SOE" though I'm not sure I did well on that.
    I think I digressed a bit. Basically, I'm focusing on the Free in Free Realms, not SOE so much.

karategirl is offline Explorer

The definition of "free" in Free Realms has always been either without charge or without restrictions. You can play without charge and have restrictions or pay a fee to remove those restrictions. You are totally free to choose which freedom you want.

Lately, though, it seems SOE has been trying to persuade players to chose the "with a charge" freedom. They've made almost all jobs members-only and even closed the pirate minigame to non-members. At least they're not being misleading about this with the new commercials. The old cmmercials were "You can play for FREE at freerealms.com" and the new ones are "Upgrade for premium content."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast