• 1 Post By Aubss
  • 1 Post By KitanaEdenia
  • 1 Post By Jessica Majesticforce
  • 1 Post By GriffinSilentgulf
  • 1 Post By Yoshinator

Title: Free Realms and History Linked [A Must-Read]

gokundson is offline Explorer

Icon4 Free Realms and History Linked [A Must-Read]

Hi, everyone. First post, so I dunno how good I'll end up doing, but I think that after having played for so long, I can KINDA compare the state that FreeRealms is in now to the Great Depression.

Going back to the time of its release in 09, FreeRealms was a pretty attractive MMO. You had endless opportunities, it was family-friendly, and the players for the most part seemed pretty positive, carefree and outgoing. Our brief little "Roarin' Twenties" moment (or our "Roarin' Nines). You should also note that things such as Sports Shades, various combat and pet trainer items, and Milk Gloves weren't worth as much back then as they are now because of their high availability to players. Also, there was the Royal Vault (the stock market/central bank of the game), which called for treasure tickets (stock/deposits) to be used as a third form of currency along with coins and Station Cash. Now, as I go along, I'll probably be comparing the Royal Vault more to a bank, but it can be seen as a stock market since you could trade in stock (tickets) for business shares (in-game goodies).

So, yeah. Everything seems delightful until the Royal Vault is plucked out of the game (stock market crash/bank failure). Now, I think it's removal could have been for one of two reasons:

*Overuse of treasure tickets and underuse of SC or coins, therefore having many players neglect the marketplace in favor of the Royal Vault.

*Simply because FreeRealms staff could no longer afford to use treasure tickets as a form of in-game currency when their money is not being reeled in from their use.

The loss of the Royal Vault caused prices to increase on things that originally came from the Royal Vault, but were not placed in the standard marketplace. Along with the fall of the Royal Vault, there was the loss of the Pet Trainer class in December of 09, which in turn sparked price increases on pet trainer gear which normally wouldn't be of much value. So basically, anything that is considered old now is no longer available to players, increasing their "rarity" and causing their prices to skyrocket. So, for example:

*Estimated Price of Sports Shades in 09: 1-3k

*Estimated Price of Sports Shades in 2013: 100-900k

That time, ranging from 2010 to what I say could have been 2012 was our recession phase. With that recession, FreeRealms was being developed from a normal, kid-friendly MMO to a somewhat realistic virtual community. You had people trying to make profit off of "rares," you had racism (human/pixie bashings), and... you had social classes. Each having a particular stereotype about it:

*The Upper Class, or "Pros," basically anyone who has membership, maxed a ton of jobs, have loads of "cool" and "rare" stuff, and fit in with the "cool crowd."

*The Middle Class, the average folks who have a good number of nice stuff, but aren't "that important"

*The Working Class, or the "noobs" who have little to nothing of good worth, have no membership, are level one in most (if not all) jobs, and "dress nooby."

Along with all that, the possibilities of the game were being overlooked just for the sake of "fitting in." But this is only the beginning. Our Great Depression started well... just recently. o.o FreeRealms has made constant updates. Some useful like the banking system, and some unnecessary such as the chat system. But it's most recent update during the last couple of weeks in June was like a kick in the teeth to many loyal players. This update, as most of us know, called for players to pay SC to make a custom guild name, or even change a guild name. This probably has a lot of players calling FreeRealms a "greedy, demanding, money-grubbing pig," but remember that FreeRealms's profit is based on how frequently players purchase SC or membership. Apparently, players weren't buying enough SC, so FreeRealms staff came up with a solution: Take something that players take advantage of for free and charge them for it.

So, with that, here are the nasty effects of our Great Depression:

*Prices on many marketplace items shot up. Even coin shop prices have increased drastically.

*Many players will beg, spam, scam, or use whatever method they find useful to get their hands on something "valuable."

*The "possibilities" of FreeRealms have been widely neglected in favor of "being rare."

*Prices on "rares" such as vault, pet trainer gear, old school gear, and Sports Shades have skyrocketed to insane prices.

*Prices on common/uncommon items such as mystery/explorer chest items have shot up to ridiculous prices.

*Seaside and Tanglewood Fort in Briarwood have become trading hotspots, and are the two most inhabited areas in the game.

*Derogatory/stereotypical terms such as "noob" have been overused.

*Greed has basically consumed both FreeRealms and many players.

Now, before anyone runs off saying things like "This wouldn't have happened if FreeRealms kept the Royal Vault," I want to reiterate that FreeRealms makes profit off of SC money. If the Royal Vault was kept, then yes, there would probably be no segregation based on clothing, but at the same time, many players would probably neglect the standard marketplace in favor of the Royal Vault, causing FreeRealms staff to add on more restrictions or shut the game down altogether. Woah o.o I turned this into more of a debate than I thought I would. I'm gonna end it here, folks. Thanks for the read. My apologies in advance if anything in this post offended you, as it was not intended for that. Feel free to leave your own opinions, just stay on topic. Not bad for my first post I do say so myself ^^ Good thing I payed attention in history. Toodles.

Aubss is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Free Realms and History Linked [A Must-Read]

Actually the price of shades now is 5-8m , not 100-900k .
    Just had to say .
    But yeah . I agree to almost all of this .
    Party Everyday likes this.
    contact me on discord - lexi#3996

KitanaEdenia is offline Master Gamer

Wow. I never thought of it that way, but yes, FR is in a Depression-like spell. A greed spell, really. Players are rude, and they'll go to extreme measures just to get a bunch of pixels. SOE could've removed the Vault for money reasons, but nobody will really answer with an honest answer, so we can't be sure. (I've tried sending in tickets asking them about it, I never got a straight-forward answer before.)
    Party Everyday likes this.

Code: Breaker is awesome.
    The stupid gif isn't working.
    I know it's small.

Party Everyday is offline Amateur Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by KitanaEdenia View Post
    Wow. I never thought of it that way, but yes, FR is in a Depression-like spell. A greed spell, really. Players are rude, and they'll go to extreme measures just to get a bunch of pixels. SOE could've removed the Vault for money reasons, but nobody will really answer with an honest answer, so we can't be sure. (I've tried sending in tickets asking them about it, I never got a straight-forward answer before.)
    They always tell me that it's because it was over used and other soe business ...
    - that was actually really funny (: but i don't like you. therefore i shall not laugh.

KitanaEdenia is offline Master Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Party Everyday View Post
    They always tell me that it's because it was over used and other soe business ...
    I've been told it was because the Queen was broke or something like that, I don't remember. o.o Or my memory could be completely failing me.

Code: Breaker is awesome.
    The stupid gif isn't working.
    I know it's small.

This post is genius. It kind of explains why this game changed so much!
    Tommy0327 likes this.

GriffinSilentgulf is offline Master Gamer

I still don't fit in and don't bother to get "current" clothes
    Tommy0327 likes this.

Yoshinator is offline Master Gamer

Major props, I bag on threads like these but this one is just genius.
    Tommy0327 likes this.

1st Generation Free Realmer
    3rd Generation Insider