Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nymo is offline Master Gamer

Default Free Realms Insight Quick Update: The Future of the Realms and GDC Awards TONIGHT!

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=1570]Free Realms Insight Quick Update: The Future of the Realms and GDC Awards TONIGHT![/drupal]

It's time for a quick update from Free Realms Insight: Your look into the gaming industry with Free Realms!

This week in San Francisco is GDC, or the Game Developers Conference. For four days, game developers from across the globe meet up here to meet up and collaborate with the rest of the gaming industry.

While the show is meant for the game developers, it doesn't stop the gaming companies from dropping some big announcements.
    This is the case for Sony, which unveiled the PlayStation Move controller for the PlayStation 3 yesterday.

The controller works similar to the Nintendo Wii, but Sony is touting about the Move's accuracy, being able to really capture the controller's movement in full 3D space. It works in conjunction with the PS3's PlayStation EYE camera, meaning it can do interesting things with the video feed of you playing, such as making it appear you're holding something else other than the PS Move controller on-the-fly.

But what does this mean for Free Realms? When I heard about this, I was reminded of something Sony Online Entertainment's president John Smedley said at the Austin Game Developers Conference last September

"SOE isn't done with Free Realms yet, either. Smedley reiterated plans to bring the game to the PlayStation 3 toward the middle of 2010 and said it's "very likely" that the game will support the EyeToy peripheral when it arrives on the console."

Does this mean that Free Realms will be making use of the PS Move controller when it comes to the PS3? At the moment, nothing has been mentioned yet on this topic, so this is just pure speculation. However, it does make sense to use the controller for things like the minigames in Free Realms, which would be kind of difficult and strange to do with a standard DualShock 3 controller.

Again, GDC kicks off the season for game companies to make big announcements, so who knows what SOE might announce from now until E3 later this summer, which is the biggest video game industry trade show where the newest games are shown off. Stay tuned to FreeRealmsInsider.com, as always, for more info as they come!

To finish this edition of FR Insight, remember hearing about Free Realms being nominated for the Game Developers Choice Awards this year? Well, the time has come around to see who will win the awards, and you can watch it all happen at home LIVE via this live video stream from GameSpot.com
    The GDC Awards begin at 6:30 PM local-time (pacifc), so be sure to tune in real soon!

As with every Free Realms Insight post, I ask you the reader a question. This time:
    Do you own/want a PS3? Would you play video games, namely Free Realms, with the PS Move controller?

Hope you enjoyed this Insight! Thanks for reading, and good luck to SOE tonight! Go Free Realms!
    I am lost

Spoiler: show

Thanks Free Realms Lead Animator Floyd Bishop for the the animated signature!

Your new Free Realms content has been delayed...
    ...FOREVER!!!

Pilar is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Free Realms Insight Quick Update: The Future of the Realms and GDC Awards TONIGHT!

Wow ... what an interesting read . Thank you , Nymo . I'll be watching the awards show .

dewdrinker6 is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Free Realms Insight Quick Update: The Future of the Realms and GDC Awards TONIGHT!

so thats 9:30 eastern?
    [SIGPIC] http://www.freerealmsinsider.com/for...gpic6211_1.gif [/SIGPIC]

FR ROCKS!! and the soggy socks.....

http://lil-insiders.webs.com

Nymo is offline Master Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by dewdrinker6 View Post
    so thats 9:30 eastern?
    That's correct!

In other words: Just under 20 minutes from now!
    I am lost

Spoiler: show

Thanks Free Realms Lead Animator Floyd Bishop for the the animated signature!

Your new Free Realms content has been delayed...
    ...FOREVER!!!

RandomPlayer is offline Master Gamer

Thanks for the insight, Nymo.
    Not really interested in a PS3, personally. If I was, I'd still stick to FR on the computer.
    Status: Quit FR since I never liked FR at all. Will probably not post anymore.

dewdrinker6 is offline Master Gamer

me as well but i'd still like to watch
    [SIGPIC] http://www.freerealmsinsider.com/for...gpic6211_1.gif [/SIGPIC]

FR ROCKS!! and the soggy socks.....

http://lil-insiders.webs.com

dnr127 is offline Amateur Gamer

That would seem awesome! uh, where can I watch it!
    The Agents are watching...

Autumn Roselake is offline Master Gamer

Thanks Nymo for the info! I have it on now

dnr127 is offline Amateur Gamer

NVM, I found it.
    The Agents are watching...

RzlClearWatr is offline Master Gamer

Now watching it