Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nymo is offline Master Gamer

Default Designing Free Realms Quests For Kids

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=1761]Designing Free Realms Quests For Kids[/drupal]

The Free Realms blog on MMORPG.com has been updated with a story where they spoke with content designer Tiffany Chu on how they design quests in Free Realms with having kids in mind.

Overall it's an interesting read to see a little behind the scenes on what has to be considered for making the quests found in-game.
    Did you know that Sony Online Entertainment keeps the quests in Free Realms at a 9th grade reading level? They essentially have to think like a kid sometimes when making these quests.

They also note on their finds of what kind of quests works for the Free Realms audience and what doesn't. They expected competitive quests (quests with timers) and trading quests like The Truffle Shuffle during the Valentines Festival of Hearts event to be popular with the players, but in the end, they weren't!

If you'd like to read more about it, check out the full article here!

And if you would also like to hear a little more behind the scenes stuff from Sony Online Entertainment, don't forget to check today's SOE Ustream event at 1 PM Pacific time. For more info, check this post. If you want to visit the SOE Ustream already, check here!
    I am lost

Spoiler: show

Thanks Free Realms Lead Animator Floyd Bishop for the the animated signature!

Your new Free Realms content has been delayed...
    ...FOREVER!!!

AaronEsko is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Designing Free Realms Quests For Kids

o_o i dont get it.
    Aaron Esko <Insiders>

(^^Marley! But don't forget Bubba, Buddy, Duke, Jasper, and my other 47 pets!)

EatMonkies is offline Master Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by AaronEsko View Post
    o_o i dont get it.
    Spoiler: show

They talked to Tiffany Chu (A dev @ Free Realms), about why the quests are they way they are. They also talked about what quests seem to work and what does not. Segueway with behind the scenes into today's QA team (Game testers/'Quality Assurance') event on UStream. Unless you mean something else o_o.

What don't you get?

(Link to deviantArt)

じゃ~、またね。

RandomPlayer is offline Master Gamer

Haha, their expectations for the Truffle Shuffle FOH quest were completely off. I remember people saying they'll go crazy if they hear the word "truffle" again. Timed quests also seem to be more frustrating than anything to tons of players, likely due to all of the lag older/less advanced computers would have to withstand.

And it seems more like a 7th 3rd grade or so reading level to me. >_>? I wasn't sure if that comment might be offensive/hurtful to some others.
    Last edited by RandomPlayer; 04-08-2010 at 06:32 PM.
    Status: Quit FR since I never liked FR at all. Will probably not post anymore.

RedCardinal14 is offline Master Gamer

I am gonna read it soon..but right now, I am too lazy to

signature made by ninjablade2000.

Zadira Kindleriver is offline Master Gamer

Nymo! A very interesting article! I agree with RP the truffle quest was a complete failure and only because there was really no point. There was a frustration level to obtain all the truffles that the reward didn't meet. I kept thinking that as the person collecting the truffles gained the number he needed the prizes would get better and better but it was simply just a fail. LOL
    The prizes need to reflect the level of frustration and time put into the quest or battle. I think that is why the Holiday Festival was so great. There were sweaters you could win because you kept playing the games. The same thing for the Halloween... I won different costumes because I kept coming back and playing the games over and over... with the Heart Festival there was really nothing to achieve after the first day except maybe the heart weapons and the lag was so bad in that dungeon that it made it no fun.

So anyway.... I enjoyed the article.. I wish they would let some of us normal game playing people have input and maybe they will some day.

Thanks so much for keeping us up to date!

toxicpoptart is offline Amateur Gamer

uh ya the quests with timers are a little on the make me not want to do that quest side so maybe get rid of it or make the timer have more time on it

IGN: Emmeh ~ I don't play FR anymore
    >FIND ME ON<
    YOUTUBE : TWITTER : TUMBLR

Trademarked is offline Master Gamer

I believe that this comment that was on the post completely is how I feel about this.

I think they need to understand that kids don't want to find pages of homework or correct people grammar.
    ****, when I was a kid I wanted to play video games to slay dragons and fight robots, I did enough homework outside of video games.
    Jordan Trademarked
    <Insiders>
    The Official Canadian Insider.

Sarah Noblemind is offline Master Gamer

They should make actual adventurer quests, where you get to explore the bowels of Sacred Grove.

gigatomboy is offline Master Gamer

I was to lazy to figure out the truffle shuffle--- besides- it looked EXTREMELY BORING...

It seems like 4th grade reading level--- it's not hard to read, peoples!!!
    Last edited by gigatomboy; 04-07-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

You won't find me on FreeRealms anymore. If you want to meet me in Mabinogi, my IGN is Svanett & I'm on server Alexina.