Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Title: Unreliable's Big Read Challenge! (Winter Break Edition) 11/18-1/1

Miracolatore is offline Pro Gamer

Default Unreliable's Big Read Challenge! (Winter Break Edition) 11/18-1/1

BigReadLogo.jpg
    (logo courtesy of the National Endowment for the Arts @ http://www.neabigread.org/)

Contest Information

Through this contest the good folks over at Unreliable hope to spur a bit of winter break reading for the Insiders community and at the same time offer a fabulous prize as well! Without further adieu, here's the contest and how it works.

1) Read the selected book.
    2) Post on the discussion thread your answer to our start up book discussion question.
    3) Participate in the ongoing conversation throughout the standard winter break period (we're getting a bit of a head start on this and running the contest from 11/18-1/1)
    4) Those who participate in the discussion groups will have their name put into a drawing for every post they do which poses either a well thought out question about the book, or for each question they answer about the book. For example, if Sally Sweetpea posts five good questions about the book, and gives three good answers other participants ask about the book, Sally gets eight entries for the following items;

Prizes
    500,000 Coins
    250,000 Coins
    125,000 Coins
    75,000 Coins

Winners will be posted on 1/2/2013.

Contest Rules

1) Do NOT copy and paste your answers from the internet or study guides. This contest is about getting you to read, and getting you to think, not how well you can copy someone elses thoughts and ideas.
    2) Do NOT belittle the opinions of others! Pointed questions are "OK", but things that insult other participants will result in your removal from the contest.
    3) DO participate in the discussion, remember every post counts towards a prize!
    4) Do NOT just post to post, your posts must have substance in order to count for each entry into the raffle.

Now onto our star in this main event, the Winter Break Big Read Book is...(drum roll please)

tumblr_m9te55tyuU1r2jjgo.jpg

The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

Interest Level
    Grades 3 - 5

About the book (courtesy of http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/b...and-wardrobe):

Air-raids over London during WWII compel four siblings — Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy — to be sent away from the city to the house of a kindly, but remote Professor "who lived in the heart of the country." There is much to discover in the country: woods, mountains, owls, eagles, maybe even hawks and snakes. But the children will soon discover that the Professor's large house, staffed by three servants, holds even more mystery. It is a house filled with unexpected places, including a room which holds nothing but a large wardrobe, which Lucy opens one rainy day, never dreaming that the wardrobe is a passageway into Narnia.
    A once peaceful world inhabited by Fauns, Dwarves, Giants, and Talking Beasts, Narnia has been frozen into perpetual winter by the fiendish White Witch who rules over it. Before long, Edmund steps into the wardrobe, and, in spite of himself, into Narnia, where he has a chilling encounter with the seductive White Witch. Soon, all of the children become embroiled in an adventure that includes themes of betrayal, forgiveness, death, and rebirth.
    This is the first installment of C.S. Lewis' renowned series, "The Chronicles of Narnia." The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, firstpublished in 1950, has been enchanting the hearts and imaginations of millions for generations, with its story of four siblings who, with the help of a Lion named Aslan, must overcome their own failings to become heroes of a better world.
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was the first book written by C.S. Lewis in the Chronicles of Narnia series, but it is considered to be the second in the series by those wishing to read the books in chronological, rather than publishing, order.

And now for the first question to get us rolling...

What do YOU think is the overall theme of the book and why?

Now get crackin'!
    Last edited by Miracolatore; 11-18-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Deviant Art
    "Set phasers to...FABULOUS!"

AangXD is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: Unreliable's Big Read Challenge! (Winter Break Edition) 11/18-1/1

What a great idea to encourage reading, your a genius! I happened to read this book and watch it's movie it was so AWESOME!

I think the overall theme of the book is Fantasy ... basically that, can't add another theme lol.

The book was awesome because it had so many different aspects that would teach you a lesson, about honor, helping people, co-operation and those darn epic moments!

I have tried entering Narnia many times, at my house, at my families houses even in the stores but I always fail .

What's the deal of the professor, we never did find out how he was connected to Narnia ...
    chase123456tan likes this.

What's the deal of the professor, we never did find out how he was connected to Narnia ...
    Great question to get the ball rolling Aang! The professor actually appears in the very first book (chronologically) of the Narnia series, The Magician's Nephew, he was there to witness the birth of Narnia when Aslan creates it.
    Last edited by Miracolatore; 11-18-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Deviant Art

chase123456tan is offline Master Gamer

OH COME ON!!!!
    My friend wanted to read it so I gave it to her :/
    Now I must sneak into her house tonight and steal it!
    I'm reading the book "Enchantress from the Stars"
    then "The Dragon Queen"
    I need more reading points because my stupid library has absolutely no good books.

What was I talking about?
    Something about books?
    -confused-

Edit: This cereal is sooo good.
    Edit: Again,this cereal is sooo good.
    Last edited by chase123456tan; 11-18-2012 at 10:40 AM.
    KATAANG
    I'm taking the Timeless Isle for the GEAR!
    Beware, Thunder King, nobody is safe from my monk.

Loopylady11 is offline Amateur Gamer

I'm seriously impressed Mira. A fabulous choice for a reading contest, and you're getting kids to read again! (and they're not reading crappy books like Twilight) Some faith in humanity has been restored! Can older players join the contest as well?

Yep! There's no age limit, because there's no limit to who can enjoy the classics

Deviant Art

Paulina Ambermace is offline Master Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by AangXD View Post

I think the overall theme of the book is Fantasy ... basically that, can't add another theme lol.
    Fantasy is a genre, not a theme.
    Theme is like the overall message/lesson learned of the story.
    "You may not like him, Minister, but you can't deny.. Dumbledore's got style."
    -Kingsley Shacklebolt

Overlord Joshua is offline Master Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Paulina Ambermace View Post
    Fantasy is a genre, not a theme.
    Theme is like the overall message/lesson learned of the story.
    No dude theme isn't just that..... Genre is basically the overall and that stuff theme is also how'd you put it.... what u read those big books with mini stories in them.....

No-L GamingTV~
    PM or VM me if your interested in my channel. I got 2 subs and 6 videos.

Paulina Ambermace is offline Master Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Overlord Joshua View Post
    No dude theme isn't just that..... Genre is basically the overall and that stuff theme is also how'd you put it.... what u read those big books with mini stories in them.....
    gen·re/ˈZHänrə/

Noun:
    A category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, characterized by similarities in form, style, or subject matter.

theme/THēm/

Noun:
    The subject of a talk, a piece of writing, a person's thoughts, or an exhibition; a topic: "the theme of the sermon was reverence"

"You may not like him, Minister, but you can't deny.. Dumbledore's got style."
    -Kingsley Shacklebolt

Overlord Joshua is offline Master Gamer

Yeah Topic is that it is fantasy.....

No-L GamingTV~
    PM or VM me if your interested in my channel. I got 2 subs and 6 videos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast