Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ninjablade2000 is offline Master Gamer

Default Just two drawings of mine.

Drew this in Paint.NET as I was just bored. Not amazing, but then again, that's most of my drawings.

Sure, throw constructive criticism or the mean kind of criticism at me, I know I'm not great at this stuff.

Then I did this one for a little practise. I did a tear duct and war paint but the war paint was neon green and just didn't work, and the tear duct just failed altogether:

Yes, it's of another eye, believe it or not.

Last edited by ninjablade2000; 12-31-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    hello

Default Re: Just an odd drawing of mine.

This is pretty good! ^_^ One thing that stands out to me though, is that your lines aren't very clean or straight. Have you ever used Paint Tool Sai? If not, then I highly recommend it. You can download a free trial for it. It's great for coloring and makes wonderful lineart. Another thing is your shading. Try shading and blending more and using several different colors to shade with. It will give your picture more depth. I hope I helped. Keep up the good work!

"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

-Lewis
    Carroll

ninjablade2000 is offline Master Gamer

First of all, I do not get Paint Tool Sai at all. I simply don't have the time to sit there and figure it out, I don't draw much as I don't draw well. Second, I started shading this year, and since I'm not good at drawing, it's not pretty. But thanks for the help.
    hello

Zombie Cakes is offline Master Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by ninjablade2000 View Post
    First of all, I do not get Paint Tool Sai at all. I simply don't have the time to sit there and figure it out, I don't draw much as I don't draw well. Second, I started shading this year, and since I'm not good at drawing, it's not pretty. But thanks for the help.
    There are a lot of tutorials online to help with using Paint Tool Sai. That, or just play with it. I just use it for line art rather than coloring and I prefer (again) to use Photoshop for all of my drawings. Sai is good for cell shading (the type of shading you did with the heart).
    You can always try Photoshop out. It looks similar to Paint.Net just with extra tools for graphic design and photo editing. It still has the basic pencil/brush tool, eraser and paintbucket.

Now if you want your lines to not have that whiteness around them from where you filled in the drawing with color, I would say color underneath the lines if possible on Paint.net and use layers. I use to use the paint bucket a lot when I first started with digital coloring and I found it's not always the best option.
    As well, Shading takes time to get use to. I'm still terrible with it and always will be, but no big deal. You have to figure out a light source at first then lay down the different tones. Look at other pictures for references if you get stuck. There's nothing wrong with that.

You have to stop feeling down about your work too, Ninja. It takes time to learn things. Just keep pushing yourself and don't give up :]
    I'm still learning and I still think my own work is terrible but I won't let it stop me.
    Remember we are all our own worst critics.

I have far greater things to be accomplishing than catering to your insubordination
    || arт worĸ || тυмвlr|| ѕтeaм || devιanтArt||

This kind of artwork is called Surrealism. It started in the early 1920's. One of the most famous surrealist artist you might know is Salvador Dali. I personally have always been a fan of this kind of art work. Of the three people in my house right now, we all agree we really like your pic! I think you did a fantastic job on it! You definitely have an artist eye. (no pun intended!) I think you should keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by ninjablade2000 View Post
    You aren't going to get better if you keep putting yourself down. Have some confidence! Your art is good! Just keep practicing and I promise you will get better.

-Lewis
    Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Cakes View Post
    There are a lot of tutorials online to help with using Paint Tool Sai. That, or just play with it. I just use it for line art rather than coloring and I prefer (again) to use Photoshop for all of my drawings. Sai is good for cell shading (the type of shading you did with the heart).
    You can always try Photoshop out. It looks similar to Paint.Net just with extra tools for graphic design and photo editing. It still has the basic pencil/brush tool, eraser and paintbucket.

Now if you want your lines to not have that whiteness around them from where you filled in the drawing with color, I would say color underneath the lines if possible on Paint.net and use layers. I use to use the paint bucket a lot when I first started with digital coloring and I found it's not always the best option.
    As well, Shading takes time to get use to. I'm still terrible with it and always will be, but no big deal. You have to figure out a light source at first then lay down the different tones. Look at other pictures for references if you get stuck. There's nothing wrong with that.

You have to stop feeling down about your work too, Ninja. It takes time to learn things. Just keep pushing yourself and don't give up :]
    I'm still learning and I still think my own work is terrible but I won't let it stop me.
    Remember we are all our own worst critics.
    Um, quick question. What exactly is cell shading? I looked it up, but I still don't think that I quite get it.

-Lewis
    Carroll

chase123456tan is offline Master Gamer

It's very nice. I like it.
    KATAANG
    I'm taking the Timeless Isle for the GEAR!
    Beware, Thunder King, nobody is safe from my monk.

Zombie Cakes is offline Master Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah Wolfprism View Post
    Um, quick question. What exactly is cell shading? I looked it up, but I still don't think that I quite get it.
    Best way to describe it is the "cartoony" style of art such as this picture
    It's used in video games..and a prime example would be your signature and icon. That's a type of cell shading with, what it looks like, using gradients.

I have far greater things to be accomplishing than catering to your insubordination
    || arт worĸ || тυмвlr|| ѕтeaм || devιanтArt||

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Cakes View Post
    Best way to describe it is the "cartoony" style of art such as this picture
    It's used in video games..and a prime example would be your signature and icon. That's a type of cell shading with, what it looks like, using gradients.
    Oh, I think I get it.... I think.

-Lewis
    Carroll

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast