Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Title: Coloring Breakdown

Zombie Cakes is offline Master Gamer

Default Coloring Breakdown

------------------------------ ------------------------------
    Digital Coloring Breakdown with the Use of Photoshop CS5.

Hi again everyone.
    After much thought and consideration, I decided to create a small thread about how I coloring my drawings in hopes to help some people who want to understand the way it's done :]
    Now I'm no professional but we all can learn from one another regardless. I hope this helps some of the artists on here and can further help with their skills even if the subject matter is different!

For a list of things I use when creating digital art, I mainly stick with Photoshop as my main program to draw and color in when working with digital media. (I am fond of the lines for I like my art to look sketchy and a bit messy. Everyone is different in this aspect but this breakdown can be put to use in SAI as well as other art programs).
    The tablet I use is a basic Wacom Bamboo, nothing fancy or too expensive!

Make sure to also get a good playlist of music going or something to inspire you! Depending on the image I'm drawing, my music preferences will change at times.

Now...Lets Begin!:

​The Initial Sketch will always be a bit messy, after all it is a sketch!
    I always create a layer for the sketch and line art. I choose not to do everything directly on the background layer but everyone may do this as they wish!

The left image shows my basic skeleton I have laid out for this character upon starting the drawing. To the right is the finished line art after sketching it in and detailing. This can take awhile depending on how complex the drawing is (derp lol) but take your time and never rush!

Base Colors are just that. They are the foundation of your shading.

A quick and well known trick when adding base colors is to color underneath the line art layer you created at first. This will eliminate any need to use the fill tool which can sometimes leave nasty white edges inside the colored area.

After all that's said and done with adding the base colors to the drawing, you can now begin to shade it in!
    Make sure to always pick a light source and draw a small light bulb if needed to remind yourself where the light is coming from and where shadows are to fall.
    When it comes to shading, for me, I like to add a lot of layers for different spots and colors. This isn't needed but don't be afraid to do so.

Experiment as well!
    There are many colors, hues and saturation our eyes pick up on! Don't hesitate to splash some different colors like red, green, blue and so on into your drawing while rendering.

In the image below you can see how I begin to slowly render the bland, flat grey color of his skin into a more sickly looking hue of browns, reds, greens, purples, yellows and even orange.
    In the last image you can see how I began to add a bit of the lime green color that is in his canisters to his skin to give the effect they are glowing brightly.

Make sure to also play with layer blend modes! You can read about those here

I tend to use multiply often when adding wounds and the different hues in skin tones as well as clothing.

Once you feel as though you are happy with the shading you have implemented onto the drawing, it's time to refine the colors and really bring out more shapes and add more depth.
    In the image below you can see how I bring about adding highlights as well as coloring in the rusty claws and plates that are attached to his body and hands.
    Again it is playing with colors to get the effect you really want to. I had to reference rust to try and mimic the orange tinge it creates on metal.
    I also further refined the green glow from the canisters from earlier by adding small, sharp glowing lines around his face and lumps on his back. (Glow can be added with layer effects (or layer styles) in Photoshop, Gimp and so on as well as manually by using a soft brush with a very low opacity set. I was lazy when I colored this and used layer effects lol)

Once you feel as though you have refined the image to your liking it is time to finish up what you have started by adding a few more finishing touches and perhaps even a background if desired :]

The image to the left is in the final stages while the image to the right is the completed drawing.

I created drool by using layer effects and a hard small brush with white as the base color. I also made the canisters tubes, and his eyes glow slightly using the layer effects once again. (Though you can't see the glow all that well when I added the background x.x)

And there you have it. A quick run through that I'll define more of when I can get my wording right lol.
    The finished image can be viewed in my art thread or on my deviantART.
    Last edited by Zombie Cakes; 11-15-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Art, Tutorial thing

I have far greater things to be accomplishing than catering to your insubordination
    || arт worĸ || тυмвlr|| ѕтeaм || devιanтArt||

Miracolatore is offline Pro Gamer

Default Re: Coloring Breakdown

Great write up Zombie! I truly enjoy your work.

Deviant Art
    "Set phasers to...FABULOUS!"

Quote Originally Posted by Miracolatore View Post
    Great write up Zombie! I truly enjoy your work.
    Thank you!
    I'll probably think of more to add later on -Awful at writing-
    But much appreciated, again ;.;

I have far greater things to be accomplishing than catering to your insubordination

EpicJewelspotter is offline Master Gamer

I've always wondered how you did those epic drawings...well, now I know. xD

Not all who wander are lost...~J.R.R Tolkien
    I play Lord of the Rings Online now. Name: Mirferil Server: Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by EpicJewelspotter View Post
    I've always wondered how you did those epic drawings...well, now I know. xD
    Yep this is all it is xD Lots of time sitting in front of a computer for hours on end and getting distracted >__>

chase123456tan is offline Master Gamer

Sweeeetttt.....
    Sometimes,it haunts me.
    On the other hand,ITS SO DANG AWESOME
    KATAANG
    I'm taking the Timeless Isle for the GEAR!
    Beware, Thunder King, nobody is safe from my monk.

Ciana Winterblossom is offline Master Gamer

First off let me say how marvelous this drawing is and now Ciana must try drawing again! *crawls to drawing pad*

Sayonara Free Realms.
    I can be found on DC Universe Online. IGN - Suya
    I can also be found here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciana Winterblossom View Post
    First off let me say how marvelous this drawing is and now Ciana must try drawing again! *crawls to drawing pad*
    ;.; Thank you~~ Gah! butitisoldasanythingnow.
    But yes draw! It relieves a lot of stress or it can at least >8U
    If you got anymore questions about this stuff just throw it out there~!
    Quote Originally Posted by chase123456tan View Post
    Sweeeetttt.....
    Sometimes,it haunts me.
    On the other hand,ITS SO DANG AWESOME
    Nooo ;.; He's a big lump of dumbness >8U but thank you greatly!

Neon Mango is offline Master Gamer

Very good... ^^

IGN: Pöoh Bear

Yoshinator is offline Master Gamer

The SCARIEST part of all of this is the fact you are a girl.

1st Generation Free Realmer
    3rd Generation Insider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast