Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Icon11 My scarily depressing, short story: A Cold Winter Morning

i wrote a short story for my freshman midterm, and my teacher said it was amazing, yet extremely depressing. i thot it would be pretty cool to see what the insiders have to think, so... here it is.

A Cold Winter Morning

One day in New York, a Wall Street number-cruncher is staring out the window of his office, adorned with leather, and scented of cinnamon. He watches the hustle and bustle going on in the streets, and feels warm inside. Winter has come, and the city is decorated with a blanket of snow. He has shunned the practice of drinking coffee, for the more festive drink of warm hot chocolate, a switch that has become habit somewhere along the turn of the season. Christmas is coming, and he has wonderful gifts for his wife, and three small children. As he sips his drink, he truly believes for that second the entire world is good. He is oblivious to the millions of other people who could put up a convincing argument towards the opposite.

One teenage girl taking the subway is not so optimistic. She knows the dangers, but this is the only way to get to her job in time. The heavy traffic of the Big Apple has caused her lose more than one job. She is completely involved in her thoughts; so much so, she has neglected to notice the young man striding towards her. When she finally does notice him, it is too late. He has come prepared for a runner, with a small handgun peaking out of his jacket. Fortunately, he does not have to use it, as the lady immediately gives up her purse the second he requests it.

A family in the Bronx area is grieving at the loss of a father. They have always known that police work in the Bronx can be especially dangerous. But now, faced with the awful reality, it is almost too much. The son, sobbing for the wrapped Christmas presents, that dad would never receive. While the wife, though on the outside, regretful but strong, a violent tempest is raging. On the inside, she relives their dating years, all the way up to cutting the cake, and through their honeymoon. This isn’t how it was supposed to turn out, this wasn’t their plan. They where supposed to grow old together, watch their children go off to a prestigious university, get married, and have their grandchildren… It just didn’t seem right to make their family have to visit a cemetery to visit him. Still holding on to that thought, she finally broke down, and wept.

But that, which does not kill you, makes you stronger. And there is always a small glimmer of sunshine…

Many years later, after the business man first stared out on the snow, a homeless man is out walking, covered in his rags, pushing a shopping cart full of the aluminum cans, and various junk he would later try to make something out of, or sell for a few cents. He is reflecting on how he became addicted to the drink. Anything strong, he would drink which included but was not limited to Vodka, Gin & Tonic, and whiskey. His eyes began top moisten as thought back to all he had lost. His successful investment firm after he spent every spare dime on alcohol, but mainly his family that had died in the accident he had caused.
    As he is mourning all he lost, he becomes aware of a shuffling down an alley. He approaches with caution, wielding the broken pipe like a bat in the hands of the Bambino, only to be confronted by a dog. Not even a dog, a small, deserted puppy that begins to cautiously approaches the ex-investor, who, in turn, extends his arm, beholding a strip of old beef given to him by a Good Samaritan walking out of Wal-Mart. Just like that, a companionship is born unto the hearts of dog, and man. From then on, they where never seen apart. This puppy love (pun was, in fact, intended) eased the pain the investor had. The pain of the memory of staring out of an office on Wall Street, dreaming about his family on Christmas day, after shunning coffee, for the more festive drink of warm hot chocolate.
    I quit...

Zoey704 is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: My scarily depressing, short story: A Cold Winter Morning

Wow!!...This is a very good story!!! Great job!
    Signature credit goes to: Stephanie Stonyray (Thanks Stephanie)

Help us help make THIS Christmas Event a success!!

i still think it's depressing
    I quit...

Zoey704 is offline Master Gamer

I like depressing stuff.
    Signature credit goes to: Stephanie Stonyray (Thanks Stephanie)

Help us help make THIS Christmas Event a success!!

yay emo ppl!!
    I quit...

Ella Sparkleflower is offline Master Gamer

*sniff sniff...*

THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL!!!!

SEID IHR DAS ESSEN? NIEN, WIR SIND DIE JÄGER