Play Free Realms NowJoin Free Realms Insider

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By ninjablade2000
  • 1 Post By ninjablade2000
  • 1 Post By ninjablade2000

Title: [GUIDE] Ninja's GIMP tricks.

ninjablade2000 is offline Master Gamer

Default [GUIDE] Ninja's GIMP tricks.

***This guide is intended for those who know the basics of GIMP. I will not explain click by click how to do things, so make sure you have a quick play about with the program before attempting things in this guide. Some things are simple but others are not.

Well yup, I decided I'd write a guide. Not just any guide, but a guide that will one day be filled with many of the GIMP tricks I know. As of now, I can assure you it's not finished and there's still many more things involving image manipulation I can teach you.
    I don't pretend to be some GIMP guardian from heaven, but my knowledge is pretty vast - just like the possibilities in GIMP.

GIMP can be downloaded here --> GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program
    If you don't know what GIMP is, then you probably haven't used it.
    GIMP is a powerful image manipulation program. It is also, however, appears remarkably complex at first sight. I can assure you that it's not, really, once you get the hang of it.
    It is also a great alternative for those who can't afford to buy photoshop. It is also, in my opinion, equally as powerful in most areas.

RENDERS
    1: Renders = 1.1
    2: Feathering Renders = 1.2

1.1 Making a render:
    Spoiler: show

A render is a cut out of a character or person. For example, this would be a render of my wizard101 character:

She has had editing done to her that will be explained if you keep reading.

To cut out a render of your Free Realms character, your Skyrim character, your character from whatever game you may play, your favourite celebrity, whatever, you must do as so.

1. Open up whatever picture you want. This is my wizzy character and I'm going to cut her out.

2. Select the tool pointed out below. I have no idea what it is.

3. Begin to click around the outside of your character.

4. When it's finished completely, go into select > select from path. This should render the render selected (ba-dum cha...no?)

5. Then press ctrl+i and you will select the background.

6. Then press delete, which is on your keyboard, and the background will be deleted and turn white.

There you have it, a beautiful render. :3
    There are a ton of things you can do with renders. Drop them into a signature, set them as your avatar...Just do whatever.

1.2 Feathering Renders:
    Spoiler: show
    Feathering a render is a way to make the edges look less horrendous. There are like probably many ways to do it, but this is my favourite.

1. I took this really random and choppy-looking render of Link from Google and made the background transparent.

It had black dots around the edge, so I removed some of those. It was done really quickly though. It looks really terrible now, and really needs feathering.
    2. The next step is to duplicate the layer your render is on.

3. Next, click on the bottom layer. Then, go to filters > blur > gaussian blur. You then need to set the blur amount to inbetween 6 and 10. I think I used 10 with this cause the render was horrible.

4. The render should now look either smoother if it was a good render or perhaps if it had choppy edges it looks better. Mine still looks horrible thanks to the surrounding black dots but oh well.

Last edited by ninjablade2000; 09-03-2013 at 05:56 AM.
    hello

Dawn73 is offline Master Gamer

Default Re: [GUIDE] Ninja's GIMP tricks.

DAT TITLE I wanna learn how to make titles like that lol i'll have to try this out later cause GIMP & I are enemies.
    Narwhales. Bai.

Lol well I'm gonna add more stuff later. There just isn't enough of an editing community here for my liking and I want to solve that.
    Dawn73 likes this.
    hello

you inspired me to try some title thingy LOL. Ehhhhh its okay
    Narwhales. Bai.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn73 View Post
    you inspired me to try some title thingy LOL. Ehhhhh its okay
    When chrome stops being a traitor and lets me use it, I'm going to upload how to do the title lol.
    Dawn73 likes this.
    hello

you can try internet explorer xD or some other browser but i feel you, i love chrome XD
    Narwhales. Bai.